Replacement for Cable TV

Yeah, I have always understood that anything beyond 720p is basically a waste, particularly as you get older and eyesight deteriorates.

4K only looks amazing when seen in the store, showing a special video feed that has no motion at all or nearly no motion, such as a mountain scenery that it very slowly pans over. People stand directly in front of the screen, 2 feet away and are like oh wow!

In reality, no one watches TV like that. They sit way back and watch stuff with lots of motion. I can hardly notice any difference. The main factor in video quality is the stream itself... Don't want it to be too compressed, pixelated, etc. Heavily compressed pixelated stream on a 4K is still terrible.

I just canceled my cable. I talked with them and told them what I wanted. Fox News and 100mps w/wifi. Best they could do was 160 a month. I asked how much if I dropped the FN? 75 a month? WTF? Now I'm paying 75 a month down from 190 and I get FN live over firefox. Done. Nice 115 bucks a month savings. That’s like 1300 bucks a year! I’m ok with that.

I am paying 200/mo w comcast for triple play w hbo/showtime/starz. This will go up to 240 after 2 years. However, then I switch to Fios for the same deal for 200. I just switched from Fios last year because their 2 year ran out.

I have no clue why they don't just want to keep me. When I do the switch, which I have now done 4x, they send out a guy to install new equipment, and give me a better monthly price. Wouldn't it make more sense to just keep me at that price and let me keep the equipment and not send out a tech.

lol

maybe it's just because I'm a software developer, or because I have 3 roommates and a girlfriend and run a server out of my house, but I can't do below 100Mbps.

In fact I have 1Gbps through Comcast and will soon be switching to Fios. Around $70 per month is a good price for 1Gbps internet by itself. If you're paying more than $100 per month for 1Gbps internet alone, you need to call and negotiate because you're being fleeced.

What I'll probably do is 1Gbps internet only from Fios and basic cable only from Comcast. Total will be around $130 per month which is fine.

Netflix, Hulu, and the like are worthless trash content which I wouldn't watch even if offered for free.

Edit: I should add I use a CableCARD for receiving the cable to my TVs/computers/phone without a cable box, so don't have any equipment fees or BS like that.

I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the OP.

images
Plug and play

I just canceled my cable. I talked with them and told them what I wanted. Fox News and 100mps w/wifi. Best they could do was 160 a month. I asked how much if I dropped the FN? 75 a month? WTF? Now I'm paying 75 a month down from 190 and I get FN live over firefox. Done. Nice 115 bucks a month savings. That’s like 1300 bucks a year! I’m ok with that.

Now go back online and get TV and internet for $79. I just signed for a double play $79. All you need to do is cancel TV, then go back online and it will be there. Includes all the normal channels, espn, fox etc. Of course it's really almost $20 more with fees and taxes, but under $100 is not bad. I use my own equipment so no extra charge their.

Back
Top Bottom