Replacement Foam

Amazon.com

Also do a search of the forum as I recall this discussion (with a lot of good source info) many years ago. Perhaps the Advanced Search with "foam" in the title might work, don't know.

Go buy a foam egg-crate mattress topper from Ocean State or Wal Mart for $10 and cut to fit (as long as you don't mind the off white color?).

Recently, I was looking for replacement foam for my cases as well, and Foamerica.com has the best prices that I found online. Unfortunately, when ordering foam from any of the online retailers, it's the $30-$40 shipping costs that hurt the most. So, I decided I would hold off and I didn't go through with the purchase. I know I'll have to eventually though...

If you're still interested, here's their link: http://www.foamerica.com/default.asp.

foambymail.com

prices include shipping

(I still have 6 or 7 iM3300 sized pieces downstairs from the last sheet i got. note: don't open the package in a small room. it expands a LOT more than you think it might)

Maybe a place like Joanne Fabrics. (Am I ghey for knowing that?)

HAHA, I can totally picture Jasper trapped in a small room, surrounded by foam, screaming for help! Sorry buddy.....

Dave
Andy is right...Oh and he is ghay too......But back to the subject, Joanne fabrics has High density foam problem is it is snot green and I mean real snot like you've been sick for 3 weeks green. There is a place off pleasure Island road in Wakefield called Cases Cases. They are a pelican case distributor, they can get you the same foam that is found in pelican cases but its a bit pricey... Someplace else to check out thats a bit closer to you is building 19 ...if you catch it right they often have mountains of high density foam for furniture refinishing and crap like that, I have bought pieces of Grey foam there for 10 bucks a sheet about the size of a twin mattress...

If you live near Worcester a company called Jeffco Fibres Inc 1 Appian Way, Worcester, MA 01610 sells it by the ton.

They are a wholesaler and might not deal directly to the public but you could call and ask.

Got some foam at Jo-Ann fabric in Hanover today. Pre-cut piece 24"x16"x3" for $19.09. Check web site first for a 40% off coupon. Out the door for $12.17. and they will cut to size. Also, it's not snot green, it's more like a sea foam green, set off a deep blued firearm quite nicely.

Got some foam at Jo-Ann fabric in Hanover today. Pre-cut piece 24"x16"x3" for $19.09. Check web site first for a 40% off coupon. Out the door for $12.17. and they will cut to size. Also, it's not snot green, it's more like a sea foam green, set off a deep blued firearm quite nicely.

Not a bad idea. Is it the same stuff they use inside the fake flower pots?

Has anyone built a home-made foam cutter?

I tried with a knife. Didn't go so hot.

I have had good results with a serrated blade. I actually used a bread knife from an inexpensive kitchen knife set. I found using very light pressure slowly sawing with the entire length of the blade. It all depends on the foam density though.

I just ordered a half sheet from www.foambymail.com
Shipping is not free. The order came out to $42 shipped but I should be able to get 2 full sheets out of it.
I think the sheets were 72"x40" and my case is 54x13 or something like that.

I bought the Charcoal Firm because I was reading online that most of the factory foam is 1.6 density and the Firm version on their website was 1.5.

Electric carving knife works awesome: very smooth professional finish. You can buy then new for ~$20-25.

It will be the best $ you ever spent if you need to make cut outs in foam (open or closed cell). [smile]

Back
Top Bottom