repairing AR-15 magazines

As it works out there is nothing on the MA books that defines what a magazine is. Is it the base plate, body, follower, or spring? Based off of the BATFE descision with regards to the '94 ban there was an allowance forbody replacement. IIRC one could take their pre-ban body and render it inoperable (crush it), retain it, and replace it with a post-ban body. During the ban your only option was to have a replacement body with a date stamp on it. Now you can arguably purchase a parts kit with an undated body.

All of this being said, this is based off of the federal decision which has no bearing on MA law/courts. Proceed how you want and if you have more questions PM me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I see three options.

One, toss them in the trash. It should cost you less than $20 each to replace them, ideally $12-$15.

Two, buy some aluminum welding rods and repair the damage. If you don't have a propane torch, you'll need one. This solution will be almost as expensive as buying new mags, and will take time and effort... not to mention you still will have two beat-to-hell mags.

Three, replace the two mag bodies with ones from rebuild kits. Find standard USGI mags for the rebuilds. Obviously, buying PMags would not be wise. Use the original baseplates for a little more peace-of-mind, crush the old mag bodies, and if anyone asks about them, just say they're refinished.

I have a couple of really old 30-round AR-15 magazines that are in rough shape, with dents and splits at the seams. The followers bind. The tabs for the base plate have broken off. They are pre-ban, no less and I would like to repair them. A repair would require a new body. In order to get a new body, it is likely that the body will be date stamped. Am I wrong to assume that the law will allow me to repair my pre-ban AR-15, standard capacity magazines with new bodies? If I am correct, my repaired pre-ban magazines will have post-ban stamps. How do I prove the are repaired pre-ban magazines with new bodies?

Really? What is the legal justification for that position?

I don't have the chapter and verse of the law, but I do know that you can replace the floorplate, spring, and follower of a preban mag, and it is still preban. The only part that is left is the body. If you could replace that, then you would just be building a new mag off of a grease stain.

I don't have the chapter and verse of the law, but I do know that you can replace the floorplate, spring, and follower of a preban mag, and it is still preban. The only part that is left is the body. If you could replace that, then you would just be building a new mag off of a grease stain.

There is no such law. Everything you've posted above is speculation.

Fair enough. But it is speculation based on the fact that it is considered standard practice (I know, not codified) to replace floorplates and followers on imported mags to achieve 922r compliance. If my speculation is not correct, then there are two alternatives:

1. Everybody who has put a new follower in a pre-ban mag has nullified it's pre-ban status and is now a felon.

or

2. It is OK to build a 'pre-ban' mag by using a new mag body, floorplate, spring, and follower, as long as you have a destroyed mag body to go with it.

I think they intentionally keep the laws vague so they can screw us either way.

Exactly. The thing is that the only "decisions" that have been offered are by the BATFE in relationship to federal law. The MA law was cut and pasted from that federal law but didn't include many of the definitions and such. That accompanied with the lack of decisions from any MA legal entity makes for some murky waters. Cross your fingers and have a good attorney!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom