• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

repairing AR-15 magazines

I have a couple of really old 30-round AR-15 magazines that are in rough shape, with dents and splits at the seams. The followers bind. The tabs for the base plate have broken off. They are pre-ban, no less and I would like to repair them. A repair would require a new body. In order to get a new body, it is likely that the body will be date stamped. Am I wrong to assume that the law will allow me to repair my pre-ban AR-15, standard capacity magazines with new bodies? If I am correct, my repaired pre-ban magazines will have post-ban stamps. How do I prove the are repaired pre-ban magazines with new bodies?

Well the body is the magazine. If you put your old parts into a new magazine body, you would have a post ban magazine. Most people do it the other way around. They put new parts into their preban bodies, thus retaining the preban magazine status.
HTH

My brand new PMAGs don't have these issues.

No, they just suck with their cheap ass plastic lips.

ETA: This opinion is based on repeated issues I saw with a shooter on the line at GPPV.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Last edited:
There's no provision in MA law that allows residents to replace pre-ban mag bodies with new ones and still be legal.

It's one of those questions that only the AG's office could answer, but they never will or would. And even if they did respond... I wouldn't trust them unless it was in writing.

Pre-ban mags at reasonable prices aren't that difficult to find.

You just have to look around and hope the seller will ship them to this state (by that I mean, private sales).

I'm sure someone will correct me. I do believe ATF had provisions for "repairing" pre ban Mag's with post ban Mag bodies?
I think the key was to retain your damaged mag for proof. They do sell mag repair kits which no more than a disassembled magazine complete with all parts? I think if you look the mag where not mags unless assembled? Most of this matters not on the federal level. I'm not sure if the Massachusetts laws contain or carry this on? For the most part with carefully placed blocks of wood inside the mag and patience you can work the mags back into shape. Or look around and find pre ban mags. I have good luck finding them for 15$ or less. Several here on nes in mass

There's no provision in MA law that allows residents to replace pre-ban mag bodies with new ones and still be legal.

It's one of those questions that only the AG's office could answer, but they never will or would. And even if they did respond... I wouldn't trust them unless it was in writing.

Pre-ban mags at reasonable prices aren't that difficult to find.

You just have to look around and hope the seller will ship them to this state (by that I mean, private sales).

+1

Not a 1 problem with any of mine. I love them.

Yup.

Easy, MA. Ya'll don't kno me, ya'll don't kno me.

mac, no such provision was written into the MGL that banned new large-capacity mags. There is nobody with authority to ask that question of and therefore, someone likely would be stuck "telling it to a judge". Given that MA judges hate the 2A and are activists against it, you can bet safely on a conviction.

Anyone care to prove me wrong? I'd be very happy to be proven wrong on this.

Can anyone tell me of anyone actually being convicted of a magazine violation in this state? Cause I see guys running around with Pmags and Microtech mags all the time an no one seems to give a shit.

mac, no such provision was written into the MGL that banned new large-capacity mags. There is nobody with authority to ask that question of and therefore, someone likely would be stuck "telling it to a judge". Given that MA judges hate the 2A and are activists against it, you can bet safely on a conviction.

Anyone care to prove me wrong? I'd be very happy to be proven wrong on this.

Yes I agree....I don't recall any thing in MGL that allows it. I been trying to find the ATF letter that used to be posted on a Internet seller of mags regarding the federal law.....seems they have removed it. As the federal law at the moment doesn't apply.

A whole bunch, when caught in the commission of a crime primarily. I can recall a few others where the cops got a search warrant for something else that had them snooping in the gun safe (ie. threatening the neighbor) and found post ban hi caps and the dude took the pipe.

As for folks just going to the range? Never heard of it.

But who knows when the cops are going to come calling.

Can anyone tell me of anyone actually being convicted of a magazine violation in this state? Cause I see guys running around with Pmags and Microtech mags all the time an no one seems to give a shit.

No, they just suck with their cheap ass plastic lips.

ETA: This opinion is based on repeated issues I saw with a shooter on the line at GPPV.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

11k+ rounds through my Pmags. Zero issues.

Body is the mag. If it's trashed, huck it. There are more.

A whole bunch, when caught in the commission of a crime primarily. I can recall a few others where the cops got a search warrant for something else that had them snooping in the gun safe (ie. threatening the neighbor) and found post ban hi caps and the dude took the pipe.

As for folks just going to the range? Never heard of it.

But who knows when the cops are going to come calling.

Pretty much what I figured.

That's the rub, isn't it? We're pretty much all law abiding citizens here. Forced to scour the earth for old surplus mags and pay 4x what they're worth if we can find them.

Criminals ignore the law and they're running whatever hi cap mags (and weapons) they want to.

Why can't this fact penetrate the thick skull of a liberal gun grabber?

i could get a new body for my beretta magazines and put the post ban stuff in it but if the body can hold 18. imma get an 18 rounder....BTW anyone got any prebans for beretta 92?

I'm sure someone will correct me. I do believe ATF had provisions for "repairing" pre ban Mag's with post ban Mag bodies?
I think the key was to retain your damaged mag for proof. They do sell mag repair kits which no more than a disassembled magazine complete with all parts? I think if you look the mag where not mags unless assembled? Most of this matters not on the federal level. I'm not sure if the Massachusetts laws contain or carry this on? For the most part with carefully placed blocks of wood inside the mag and patience you can work the mags back into shape. Or look around and find pre ban mags. I have good luck finding them for 15$ or less. Several here on nes in mass

I don't see the BATFE really caring. The FED-AWB is long been dead. It's only the MA and other state-level nonsense about dates that some subjects have to be concerned with.

This is a law of attrition. The longer it stays on the books, the more mags will be eliminated. The base plate tabs are usually the first thing to break off. The body is useless without a base plate. It needs to be challenged and repealed.

That's the rub, isn't it? We're pretty much all law abiding citizens here. Forced to scour the earth for old surplus mags and pay 4x what they're worth if we can find them.
It's only an issue for residents of nanny states. Move to a FREE state and leave the issue behind. I got a good deal on some 20 round mags that just so happen to be pre-ban. ALL my 30 round mags are post ban. The majority of those are gen2 PMag's (zero issues). 20 round mags are more for bench shooting (or when I don't want to burn through a 30 count). 30 round mags are for everything else.

For repairing the old mags, check to see if either a good welding/machine shop will help you out, or if a NES member with a welder can give you an assist. Otherwise, start hunting for pre-ban mags that are in top condition.

Criminals ignore the law and they're running whatever hi cap mags (and weapons) they want to.

Why can't this fact penetrate the thick skull of a liberal gun grabber?
Seems like you need DU rounds to penetrate the skulls of gun grabbing libtards.

I do know of one person who was convicted of illegal possession of a large cap feeding device. Was a career criminal and was given 2 1/2 years for it.

Dave

Unfortunately I work in a fairly specialized job that isn't in high demand in rural "free" states or I'd be gone already. I have to put up with the crummy laws but at least I make a good living. Nothing's perfect.

It's only an issue for residents of nanny states. Move to a FREE state and leave the issue behind. I got a good deal on some 20 round mags that just so happen to be pre-ban. ALL my 30 round mags are post ban. The majority of those are gen2 PMag's (zero issues). 20 round mags are more for bench shooting (or when I don't want to burn through a 30 count). 30 round mags are for everything else.

For repairing the old mags, check to see if either a good welding/machine shop will help you out, or if a NES member with a welder can give you an assist. Otherwise, start hunting for pre-ban mags that are in top condition.

Seems like you need DU rounds to penetrate the skulls of gun grabbing libtards.

Unfortunately I work in a fairly specialized job that isn't in high demand in rural "free" states or I'd be gone already. I have to put up with the crummy laws but at least I make a good living. Nothing's perfect.

You don't have to work in NH as well. You can LIVE free and work in a nanny state. [laugh] Just realize that the nanny state will take it's cut of your paycheck anyway. There's plenty of places to live on the free side of the border.

I'm trying to land a job deeper north (into the state) so that I can move further north too. Multiple benefits from doing that, IMO.

I get it, but commuting two hours to Boston from southern NH is another set of problems. If it were easy I'd have left long ago.

The idea of getting a special reach around from the government to replace a mag body on a preban and still call it a preban is a joke.

The whole idea of preban is to wait it out till there all destroyed and not useable .

There's one important thing to remember in regards to GI magazines when you're trying to hammer out a small dent or something like that. These magazines were designed to be disposable and only cost the government a couple bucks each in today's dollars. Trying to salvage one will only lead to an unreliable magazine that will cause many failures to feed.

Back
Top Bottom