REPACK BOX

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
Has anyone else bought these?

My wife got some of the 38/357 for me as a gift a couple Christmases ago. The product was great but I wasn’t a big fan of their quick pack tray though.
I forgot all about them and rediscovers them a couple weeks back. Wanting to make use of them I reached out to the company and asked if they had a solution. They sent me a third gen quick load tray for free. That’s pretty awesome and I was blown away with the customer service. Quick texts back. They even sent me a Gadsden flag stainless steel pendant.

If anyone likes to have a nice clean organized stash this system is awesome. It’s compact too without all the extra plastic or foam trays.

I’m thinking of getting some for 5.56 next.

A friend has a few .50cal. cans. Twenty seven of them, a few of the .308(?), and mortar cans for spent brass.
He has stacks of the dillon .45 auto containers with pistol league ammo, and assorted plastic for 44mag, .308 etc. and some oddball calibers.
VCI paper in each can. Paper boxes are a pita and would still need to go in a climate conditioned space.

i've been using the mtm boxes for decades, don't really see a reason to change. i buy different colors for the calibers i store so i can tell at a glance whats on the shelf. they make them in solid colors as well as opaque so it gives me choices. my bulk ammo gets stored in ammo cans ready to refill the boxes.

My wife got some of the 38/357 for me as a gift a couple Christmases ago. The product was great but I wasn’t a big fan of their quick pack tray though.
I forgot all about them and rediscovers them a couple weeks back. Wanting to make use of them I reached out to the company and asked if they had a solution. They sent me a third gen quick load tray for free. That’s pretty awesome and I was blown away with the customer service. Quick texts back. They even sent me a Gadsden flag stainless steel pendant.

If anyone likes to have a nice clean organized stash this system is awesome. It’s compact too without all the extra plastic or foam trays.

Fine and dandy if you want loose ammo in a box .
I have all sorts of other boxes
With inserts to hold the ammo or the MTMs
Nice info though.
I usually buy boxes and inserts from midway they often have sales.

Isn't that illegal in ma? Ammunition must be in original packaging. Right? (Also had an instructor tell that to a class down there. He also was emphatic about how ammunition could not be stored in magazines. Due to storage laws.

I of course asked "what about preloaded p-mags?" )

I'm an ammo cans with desal packages. I cycle out the moisture packs every few years and give them a couple hours in the oven on low.

Do the same for ham radios.

I guess I'm a cheap skinflint. When I'm at the range I see the factory boxes and plastic trays people throw away when they're done shooting. I grab the new and good condition ones and take them with me and fill them up when I reload. I slam a label on them and write down the date what the load is and I'm good to go. I'm saving money and helping the environment.

Hypothetically, do you picture shooting some/most before you… ya know?

When .22lr is $10/round. Or you have to pay an air tax of $1/round/month in a few years. Isn't having old tax paid non new taxed ammo gonna be good?

I've got some . 38spl from the 80's, and a few old boxes of 45ACP and some illicet . 22lr tracers from pre days, but other than a few spam cans of 7.62x54 rimmed and some 7.65 arg, everything's pretty new.

I've also maybe been to the range five times in five years.

Hypothetically, do you picture shooting some/most before you… ya know?
It all depends, I call it the strategic stockpile.... I look at it like this, I have a lot of Milsurp stuff from back it the day when things were dirt cheap, some where purchased purely as investment, So let's say you have 7 or 8 Garand rifles or a crate of Mosin Nagants, those rifles will be far more valuable with a crate of ammo to go with each of them when you decide to cash them in. Also what is a comfortable number of round to keep on hand for a oddball caliber ?? not too long ago 760 round crate of 8mm mauser ammo was $39.00 762X54 about the same, 30/06 20 cents A round

Who Knows If ammo or primers becomes more scarce or expensive I may shoot some of it

Their boxes are cheap.
But the tray is $5.

I was excited because I have almost 70lbs of reloaded 9mm in a 50cal ammo box, I thought about boxing it.

But what difference will it make it is loose in the 50 cal box vs loose in smaller boxes?

Their boxes are cheap.
But the tray is $5.

I was excited because I have almost 70lbs of reloaded 9mm in a 50cal ammo box, I thought about boxing it.

But what difference will it make it is loose in the 50 cal box vs loose in smaller boxes?
Easier to grab a couple of 50 round boxes when logging a 50 Cal ammo came to the range every time. I think they are big idea is for long term Storage and being able to stack their boxes nice and neat inside a large can

Easier to grab a couple of 50 round boxes when logging a 50 Cal ammo came to the range every time. I think they are big idea is for long term Storage and being able to stack their boxes nice and neat inside a large can
I will definitely look into this for 45/70, 460 and 45.

At $5 per tray, it is cheaper to buy the plastic boxes from Amazon.

But ... those plastic boxes have a weird chape and end up taking too much space.

I think they are MTM boxes.

I will definitely look into this for 45/70, 460 and 45.

At $5 per tray, it is cheaper to buy the plastic boxes from Amazon.

But ... those plastic boxes have a weird chape and end up taking too much space.

I think they are MTM boxes.
The plastic tray is just for loading. You pop them into the tray to organize them up down up down then you flip them into the box. The tray is reused over and over.

Not a bad idea. I wouldn't need a ton of them (unless I start reloading again) but having a few for all those loose rounds might be nice.

Isn't that illegal in ma? Ammunition must be in original packaging. Right? (Also had an instructor tell that to a class down there. He also was emphatic about how ammunition could not be stored in magazines. Due to storage laws.
I've heard the same. First off, it's just the fire safety code you're referring to, not MGL. Second, even if it were MGL, if you reloaded it, whatever you put it in is the original packaging. Loaded ammo consists of primer, brass, powder, and projectile. If you buy a box of factory ammo and shoot it, only the brass is left to "reload". Why should it matter where that particular one of the four essential components of the cartridges came from? It does not. You don't have to use the box that the brass came in any more than you have to use the box that the bullets, powder, or primers came in. It's just ridiculous.

The problem with the boxes above is that the trays need to cost less than $1. That's a manufacturing scale problem there, hard for a small business to overcome.

I have a lot of MTM boxes because that's what I used in the past, probably enough to store 5K rounds. But I'm moving away from MTM boxes to zip-loc sandwich bags. It's partly because it's more convenient to take them to the range but also because I can seal them in with a desiccant pack. The sandwich bags either get aggregated into repurposed plastic jars (with desiccant packs), or into quart size zip-loc freezer bags with another desiccant pack in there. The freezer bags stack pretty well. The zip-loc sandwich bags are my "original containers". At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
The plastic tray is just for loading. You pop them into the tray to organize them up down up down then you flip them into the box. The tray is reused over and over.

The problem with the boxes above is that the trays need to cost less than $1. That's a manufacturing scale problem there, hard for a small business to overcome.

See above.

I've heard the same. First off, it's just the fire safety code you're referring to, not MGL. Second, even if it were MGL, if you reloaded it, whatever you put it in is the original packaging. Loaded ammo consists of primer, brass, powder, and projectile. If you buy a box of factory ammo and shoot it, only the brass is left to "reload". Why should it matter where that particular one of the four essential components of the cartridges came from? It does not. You don't have to use the box that the brass came in any more than you have to use the box that the bullets, powder, or primers came in. It's just ridiculous.

I have a lot of MTM boxes because that's what I used in the past, probably enough to store 5K rounds. But I'm moving away from MTM boxes to zip-loc sandwich bags. It's partly because it's more convenient to take them to the range but also because I can seal them in with a desiccant pack. The sandwich bags either get aggregated into repurposed plastic jars (with desiccant packs), or into quart size zip-loc freezer bags with another desiccant pack in there. The freezer bags stack pretty well. The zip-loc sandwich bags are my "original containers". At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
So... When did ammunition components magically vanish from MGL?

Does this mean I can drive through MA again with spent . 22LR rimfire brass in the bed of my truck (I'm not a resident) and not be committing a serious offense?

But ya. I hear you about the cost. Ziplocks and desiccant are my path.

So... When did ammunition components magically vanish from MGL?

What you said was that ammunition must be in original packaging, and that's what I was responding to, the only thing I was responding to. That doesn't come from the MGL. It comes from

527 CMR: BOARD OF FIRE PREVENTION REGULATIONS

1.12.8.39.1.1.4 Permits Not Required. Permits shall not be required for the following:
(1) For smokeless propellants displayed in commercial establishments intended for sale and not exceeding 25 lbs. and stored in original manufacturer’s containers of one lb. maximum capacity. (2) Small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder stored in original containers and stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use as provided in Section 1.12.8.50. Small arms ammunition, as used here, shall mean any shotgun, rifle, or pistol cartridge and any cartridge or propellant actuated devices, excluding military ammunition containing bursting charges or incendiary, tracer, spotting, or pyrotechnic projectiles.

It says that you don't need to a permit to store it that way. If you can find something in the MGL about storing ammunition components in original packaging, let me know.

you guys dont stuff your pockets and go ? Wait your jeans probably dont have pockets right, lol

Back
Top Bottom