How to put unused primers back in the box

efelton

NES Member
Hello,
I'm switching over from .357 Mag, which uses Small Pistol Magnum Primes, to 9mm. So I had to take all of my unused magnum primers out of my primer-feed tray. I wound up dumping the primers back into the tray they came packaged in, but some are upside-down (or flat side up) and this is the side that responds to being bumped! I'm leery of handling them to flip them over.

So I am wondering, short of having several spare primer-feed trays, is there a "proper" way to deal with primers once they are out of the box?

Thanks!

Just use Small Rifle primers for both and you won't have to switch (recalibration of loads will be required).

Hello,
I'm switching over from .357 Mag, which uses Small Pistol Magnum Primes, to 9mm. So I had to take all of my unused magnum primers out of my primer-feed tray. I wound up dumping the primers back into the tray they came packaged in, but some are upside-down (or flat side up) and this is the side that responds to being bumped! I'm leery of handling them to flip them over.

So I am wondering, short of having several spare primer-feed trays, is there a "proper" way to deal with primers once they are out of the box?

Thanks!

I would not worry about having primers flat side up. I've put primers back into trays many times (not caring about orientation) and haven't had any issues yet. I store them in a cabinet, not in my pocket so I should be fine[laugh]

First, unless you're Edward Hammer Hands, handling primers is fine and not dangerous.

Second, they make a primer flip tray if you're really OCD enough to be concerned about storing them all the same way.

Third, do what Rob suggested and use SR primers for everything.

Thanks!
Just dump them back in. It doesn't matter which way they face, they're not going to go off.

Just use Small Rifle primers for both and you won't have to switch (recalibration of loads will be required).
This is fine as long as you don't care about breech face erosion.

Thanks for the info on erosion. I see a Glock 43 in my future, and I'll pick up some pistol primers for those loads.

My 1911's take an interchangeable breechface so I've never really worried about the erosion issue - though I had heard of some problems with erosion with Wolf small rifle primers (bought some of those during one of the great shortages)

Back
Top Bottom