Removing Front Post from AR and changing to flat top receiver

I posted a WTT regarding my AR upper to see if there's any interest. If not, I want to try and modify it.

I would like to change to a flat top receiver with M4 ramps and change the gas block to a railed type so I can add a flip up front sight. I'd like to have the options of running a red dot possibly with magnifier, full scope, or flip up irons.

1.) Is it easy to change the standard front post gas block with a permanently attached brake (post-ban barrel)?

2.) If I change the upper receiver but keep the same barrel and BCG, should there be any worries about head spacing? From my reading it doesn't appear so, I just want to verify that.

3.) I currently have an RRA flat top receiver (with assist and door installed), but it doesn't have M4 ramps. My current setup is M4 ramps. PK Firearms appears to have Bushmaster flat top receivers with ramps in stock. Should I just grab one of those to keep the ramps or run with RRA I have now?

4.) This is my only AR and I wanted to build at least one or 2 more over time. I have the "once you take it apart it never runs the same" worries because so far this gun has functioned flawlessly and I don't want to mess it up. Please let me know that I'm being retarded and these things are made to be easily modified. [laugh]

1. No, you'll have to cut the brake off or cut the front sight off.

2. Shouldn't be a problem but you should always check.

3. The M4 ramped barrel will work fine with the non-ramped receiver. The mismatch is if your receiver is ramped but your barrel has standard ramps.

4. These things are made to be modified, but it can be a PITA.

Back
Top Bottom