• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remote antenna switch

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
For years I have had 1/2' Andrews heliax (LDF4-50A) from my tower to the shack which is about a 225 foot run, but the only antenna on that line was my 10/15/20m Yagi.

JqrgWT3.png

I finally got around to buying a remote antenna switch, so the plan in the future is to bring everything into the shack on the hardline.

I went with the Rat Pack 6 position switch from Jay Terleski (WX0B) at Array Solutions.

I have history dealing with Jay in the past and know he is a stickler for quality. In fact the two components on the switch system arrived carefully hand packed after being individually wrapped in butcher's paper. The paint job and screening on the enclosures is flawless and while I have yet to open it to look at the circuitry I expect the same.

Photo here shows the control box without the board (rotary switch and leds) mounted yet, it ships in side that enclosure. The outdoor enclosure is smaller than I imagined.

ZEv0QiJh.jpg

Now I thought I had a few hundred feet of 8 conductor rotator control cable around here but I could not find it. So I bought this stuff and expect it will serve the task, just got to pull it through the conduit to the tower and protect it from the elements out the (PVC jacket not PE).
www.amazon.com/dp/B09BVFHZNN

Edit: I forgot to note that the Array Solutions website over-quoted the shipping, but Jay caught it and made the correction in pen on the invoice before I was charged at the time of shipping. I never would have known.

🐯

Last edited:
Another option is outdoor-rated CAT5 cable. I have a similar run length to my KK1L 2x6 antenna switch, no issue with the 24awg wires at that distance.

KK1L switch is 12VDC lines to activate the relays in the remote unit.
Gotcha. Just asking because choice of interface cable can be more than just wire gauge. But for DC relay control, it's basically just wire gauge. Comment closed, no defect.

Back
Top Bottom