• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Ed Fong" antenna or home-made equivalent?

I've seen a few people mention "Ed Fong" antennas.

It seems he's a professor in California, and uses the proceeds to help his classes.

Anyone have any experience with this one?

DBJ-1 (ham) dual band base antenna (144-148 MHz and 440-450 MHz) Maximum power input 75 watts. - $50 (also available in 250 watt version for $70. Please email me if you are interested in this model)

That, or is this something that can be put together by yourself? If anyone has the plans/recipe to do this, I'm interested.

Thank you.

I have a similar one, I think I bought it from N9TAX. He sells on eBay. This design is good to go and a lot of people build them themselves. I never did because by the time I buy the ladder line, connector, coax, and a ferrite bead it's cheaper just to buy one built. But don't let that deter you from building one. They're popular for clubs to build as a group.

I have a DBJ-220 and DBJ-1 bought a while ago from Ed Fong - they both are well made.
if you are interested in the theory here is a link to an Ed Fong video from FARA:
The QST articles showing how to build your own are at the bottom of this page:

I usually buy the DIAMOND X50NA for base station installs. Last forever since they are one sealed section. I prefer the N model over the SO-239. N connectors are just a way better connector. Unfortunately hams love PL-259 connectors so most radios come with them.

Back
Top Bottom