Remington UMC ammo question

I've put about 500 rounds of yellow box UMC through my S&W 1911 without problem. It's cheap and it works......if you can find it [crying]

I tested today accuracy in my G17 between Rem UMC and WWB, and I was surprised to see that UMC is way more accurate then WWB, for me. My IDPA scores have been real shitty last few matches so I was testing ammo and my sight alignment..

Up until this point I've only ever put WWB through my G17

I hope this ammo is descent stuff, because I just bought 750 rounds of it! haha. A Walmart I went to today had the shelf price labeled wrong, and instead of it being $59 for a 250 round bulk pack of 9mm, it was only $49 [smile] So, I bought the 3 packs they had. I guess we will see how it shoots. [smile]

That's been my experience as well....It's not as bad as the Wolf .45ACP I shot several years ago out of my Colt Defender. Not only did it gum up the gun, but it was textured filth...Looked like I had refinished the front of my gun with Rhino Liner... [grin]

The old Wolf .45 ACP also left behind a residue that, for lack of better terminology, smelled like rotten fish. [laugh]

-Mike

I always buy the cheapest brass cartridge I can find.

I love Remington UMC 9mm - I've ran about 2k rounds of it through my M&P, and this is the only ammo that worked flawlessly. I later discovered that I had a crack in my rail which was causing all sorts of problems, but for whatever reason the UMC still worked perfectly. Dirtier than WWB? Yes. Do I care? No.

If you put rounds of UMC and WWB in the same magazine, you will probably notice a difference between cartridges, but you may not. You will be practicing handling recoil either way.

If it's cheap, I buy it.

Remington UMC hmmm as long as its cheap,
I really dont care for it
The M1 Carbine 30cal ammo that I tried was horrible. Crony'd it to compare to my reloads and had some extreme varience. low was 1795.4 high was 1989.2
the rest of the 30 rounds I crony,d did average 1846. Looked like buck shot on the target. The Uquilla 30 carbine was accurate enough for my likes. The wolf also ran well in the carbine, but as stated smelt and was dirty

shot 200 rounds of the Remington UMC 9mm today out of my SR9C, some Sellier and Bellot, and some Federal. I liked the UMC and the Federal the best. I don't think I will ever shoot the WWB again. It is Federal from now on, and maybe even the UMC. Good stuff as far as I am concerned. I clean the gun everytime anyway, so what's the difference.

I still have yellow fifty round boxes they have gone through four boxes over my lifetime maybe more.

Slight changes on the box till they came out with the green ones in the last couple years. Same ammo differnt box.

I had been wondering about how clean or dirty the UMC ammo was that I'd been using. So, I fired 100 rounds of the inexpensive 9mm UMC rounds with my relatively new Beretta PX4 Storm, followed immediately by 100 rounds of "regular" Winchester FMJ ammo. The UMC ammo was MUCH dirtier and left at least three times as much residue on my barrel and other exposed parts.

I had originally started using the UMC ammo because of its lower cost, but I have since found the cleaner-burning Winchester ammo at a decent price at Bass Pro Shops (UMC = $0.25 per round vs. Winchester = $0.30 per round). For that small price difference, I don't think I'll ever go back to the dirty UMC rounds.

In addition, I don't have any kind of empirical proof, but the UMC ammo seemed to show significantly worse grouping.

I love the yellow box UMC ammo. Very inexpensive ammo and not too dirty in my 9mm's. And the .223 ammo is also very good, running it through my M&P 15.

Just bought 150 rds of .223 on sale at Dicks. Wanted to try it out. I'm hoping I can reload it as I have 300 pieces of RP unfired brass to reload and after following this thread wondered if the UMC brass is good enough to reload.

UMC ammo as told to me is out of spec ammo, it occurs as things start to get out of spec. during a run process, when things are retooled they make a run of ammo, this is the UMC ammo again, when it hits a specific spec. the brand remington goes on the box and they run the ammo until it occurs again.

UMC ammo as told to me is out of spec ammo, it occurs as things start to get out of spec. during a run process, when things are retooled they make a run of ammo, this is the UMC ammo again, when it hits a specific spec. the brand remington goes on the box and they run the ammo until it occurs again.

Really? I never heard any substantiation to your allegation.

I can tell you that my former department issued this stuff when they first converted from revolvers to 9mm (Beretta 92FS) and the officer in charge of the guns/conversions was an FFL as well as a real gun person, I used to shoot with him every Sunday and hang out at his shop every Saturday!

These days QC has gone to hell in ammo mfg in an attempt to crank out as much as possible every shift and it doesn't seem to matter which brand is on the label.

I've bought 250 round bulk packs of the yellow box 9mm, and .45, and had no problems with it at all. So what if it's a little dirtier than other stuff? I actually enjoy cleaning guns, so bring on the filth baby.

Originally Posted by Finalygotabeltfed
I've tried the yellow boxed UMC in .223 and 30-30 and found both to be very underpowered and fairly dirty(not that I mind the dirty part so much).
Originally Posted by Joe R.
I've shot it in 9mm and .40 Short and Weak ( buddies Glock ) and it fired. I will shoot it if it is the only stuff available. It's dirty and underpowered.

How did you arrive at these conclusions? Did you chronograph the loads, or are you judging by the felt recoil?

Well, four years later, heres the answer. Sorry I didn't see it before.
I arrived at my conclusion using side by side comparrison of magazines of ammo and even mixed ammo in the same mag in a Uzi subgun and pistols. There was a noticeable difference in the rate of fire between the yellow box UMC ammo and the other brands I was using. The UMC ammo was very sluggish compared to WallyWorld white box value pack 9mm, Wolf 9mm, S&B 9mm, CBC Magtech 9mm.
The UMC was also smokey compared to the others.
The rifle stuff was side by side comparrison also, just felt mushy.
Like I said, I'd shoot it all day if it was all I could get but it wouldn't be my first choice of purchase if other ammo were available and comparably priced.

Back
Top Bottom