• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

REMINGTON MODEL 8 OR 81 IN 35 CALIBER INFO NEEDED

Recently inherited a couple of Rifles and have a question on one of them. I believe it is either a Remington 35 model 8 or 81. Problem is I don't know which one it is and what year it was made. It is in exceptional condition. Serial number is a 4 digit number starting with 81xx. When I did some research I believe it may be a 1939 model 81 but again not sure. It is a keep sake for me along with the 1970 Browning 30-06 I got. I have seen videos on these and got to say I would love to get it looked over and shoot it just for my Dad's memory. Any info would help.

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark,

The Caliber should be stamped on the Bolt Carrier in the 2pm position (right side of firearm) when the bolt is in battery. I have also seen the caliber stamped on the top of barrel over the chamber (but only for 300 Savage Caliber versions).

If it's made before early 1930's it should a Model 8, and after that it should be a model 81. The usual visual clue is the Model 8's had a straight stock, whereas the Model 81's had usually a semi pistol grip.

Also the factory Caliber's were .25 Rem; .30 Rem; .32 Rem and .35 Rem and finally 300 Savage..........having said all that, it could be the case that the caliber is not marked (even thought it should be), which might be an indication of a Gunsmith altering/repairing the rifle in the past, and not marking the caliber (not unheard off). With no caliber marking, if it were me/my gun I would do a chamber casting (Brownell's will have casting material), and verify via a reloading manual, and also slug the bore with a lead ball to determine lands and grove diameter (easy, cheap, lots of video's on youtube on how to chamber cast and slug a bore)

These were very well made guns, and if maintained even reasonable well, it should last another 100 years.

I would recommend an exam off the bore with a good light for signs of more than acceptable frosting/rusting in bore, but if at first glance the bore looks rough, I have found that sometimes after a really thorough cleaning underneath the crud was a very fine bore indeed.

Enjoy the Gun, the .35 Rem and 300 Savage are factory ammo to this day, the other calibers you may have to reload for, and I would NOT recommend using handloads from someone else...too many horror stories and its now more that 15 years since someone blew up a M1A beside me (magazine floor plate hit my left shoulder) at Andover Sportsmans Club with someone else's reloads. So its not just something you see on youtube.

Best, Seamus

I believe it was a model 8 that Frank Hamer used when he and his pals shot the shit out of Bonnie & Clyde. If you don't reload, I hope it is .35 Remington since it's the only one of the 4 Remington calibers still available. Large capacity magazines were once available but that was a long time ago and if you find one now it will probably cost a fortune. My son has a model 81 and the safety looks just like the safety/selector on an AK. Maybe that's where the idea came from.

Renowned Texas Ranger Frank Hamer used a Model 8 in .35 Remington with a 15-round detachable magazine to end the careers of Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker on May 23, 1934. Hamer’s Model 8, serial number 10045, was custom ordered through Petmeckey’s Sporting Goods store in Austin, Texas. Magazines capable of feeding 20 rounds were available to law enforcement agencies only through the Peace Officers Equipment Company in St. Joseph, Mo.

Super interesting rifle

Recently inherited a couple of Rifles and have a question on one of them. I believe it is either a Remington 35 model 8 or 81. Problem is I don't know which one it is and what year it was made. It is in exceptional condition. Serial number is a 4 digit number starting with 81xx. When I did some research I believe it may be a 1939 model 81 but again not sure. It is a keep sake for me along with the 1970 Browning 30-06 I got. I have seen videos on these and got to say I would love to get it looked over and shoot it just for my Dad's memory. Any info would help.

Thanks
Mark
If it's a 35 remington and you know that for sure.....buy some 35 remington ammo and shoot it. What other info are you looking for?

Good for you, Mark.
I have considered the Model 81, but never found one in my price range; ended up with a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington.
If you are able to get down to North Stonington, CT, I have two boxes (39 rounds) of factory ammo (which I can sell, but I'm not shipping ammo). I also reload this caliber. You can roll some of your own, if interested. I've been topping my plinking loads with the 160g Fusion bullet that is used in the .350 Legend ammo. It is technically undersized, being .357" diameter, but it works just fine in the lever. I've even loaded the .355" diameter Liberty Civil Defense 50gr HP in the .35 Remington. Stable at 40 yards at least. I'm not suggesting you use this bullet, of course. I do have the typical 200gr bullets (Hornady .358 Round Nose) available currently.

Attachments

• .35Remington2.jpg
    .35Remington2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 6
  • .35_Rem50gHP.jpg
    .35_Rem50gHP.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 6
  • .35_Rem. Domino.jpg
    .35_Rem. Domino.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 6
My father left me a Model 81 in 35 Rem along with some other gems. It was fun to shoot when I was a kid. Still trying to figure out what to do about them.

#36.jpg

Back
Top Bottom