• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington killing Bushmaster, DPMS, Tapco, and StormLake Barrels

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
Same thing for DPMS, Bushmaster, Stormlake. All the products will still be available under a different brand.

No they won't, most of that stuff is going to disappear because it's trash, unless someone buys those brands on the cheap and rerolls them.

-Mike

I have a Windham, ME era BM rifle. Once I reset the front site (canted front sight was a known issue), it's a tackdriver. I think I'll keep it.

This. I have a Pre-D.C. Sniper Bushy that has been nothing but fun, reliable and accurate. It is my 'loaner' rifle for my "friends and family" plan...

My first AR is a Bushmaster, made in 1998. Never have had any issues with it. My first skeet gun is a Rem 1100, bought in the 1970s. Solid performer. My Rem 870 Police Magnum is a retired cruiser gun made in the 1990s, also a solid performer.

No they won't, most of that stuff is going to disappear because it's trash, unless someone buys those brands on the cheap and rerolls them.

-Mike
How dare you defame the mighty Tapco, aftermarket SKS outfitting choice of Bubba the Tier 1 Operator and part-time gunsmith?

My reading comprehension must be off this morning. How can they be focused "on their core hunting and shooting brands" while shuttering Marlin, Remington and Bushmaster...?

Why not just sell those Divisions and make back some money? Shuttering does no one any good. History shows us, Craftsmen are hard to replace.
No ones going to buy them . Rem/Ceribus bought them up when they where most likely a bargain. Held onto them as long as money was coming in.

Honestly, how do you compete when you can put together an entire rifle for about $400-500? Who is going to buy your run-of-the-mill $800 or $900 rifle??? Seems like a smart business move for them. The world has changed dramatically since Cerebro consolidated all those brands. Had Bushy been out there they'd be facing the same issues. While MSR's are hot, the market has very much dumbelled - you're either the low-cost provider or a high-cost allegedly-custom. Nothing left in teh middle because the middle raced to the low-cost bottom.

But what do I know. Let's just be outraged. ROFL!!!! This is NES after all.

To be honest, I didn't even know TAPCO existed in any form anymore.
If your familiar with Tapco your probably 50 + yrs old . Or you where not buying cheap shit 30 years ago.
If you know Tapco today you buy cheap shit. Lol

I think the only thing keeping Tapco alive was Century Arms using tapco parts for builds

Last edited:
I think you're overestimating the contraction of the AR market.

One, expect a blip again in sales later this year because of the election. I personally think Remington is being a little hasty in closing up shop now before the election even happens. That's like shooting a functional plow horse with no replacement substitute the winter before plowing needs to be done. That being said, if Remington is competently run, which is isn't, they'd be able to estimate how many guns they'll sell with a Trump victory versus a Dem victory. They can look back at 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016 and say "ok, we'll probably sell X number of ARs during this election year if Trump happens or Y number of ARs if the Dems win."

Two, this is really only the second major producer (counting Cerberus as one entity) to stop producing ARs. The other one was Colt and Colt's been dying a very slow death. Both Colt and Remington have went bankrupt within the last five years. These are two very weak gun companies. There's no innovation or really compelling reason to buy a DPMS or Bushmaster or a Colt AR. The market is very diverse, ranging from PSA to LMT in regard to price and quality. Colt and Remington are two heavily debt-laden bloated corpses that really offer nothing to the market. Smaller companies like say Windham or YHM don't have that massive debt burden that Remington and Colt do. See @Knob Creek's link, post No. 20. Cerberus loaded Remington up with debt and then shoved everything into a massive Alabama factory and made Remington foot the bill. Colt is also swimming in debt. Is Windham? Are the other small companies? Not as far as we know.

Colt and Remington have been on death's doorstep for quite some time, so to see either of the two contracting isn't a shocker.

Oh I’m not saying the industry is declining. I’m saying it’s fracturing. On one end is the high end guns. On the other is run-of-the-mill ones. The lower end is dropping in price like a rock. So a Bushmaster can’t compete and stay in business.

The secondary lesson is: if given a choice between making a high end product or low end one, try and pick the high end. You never compete on price. Les Baer still gets a ton for a pistol.

This. I have a Pre-D.C. Sniper Bushy that has been nothing but fun, reliable and accurate. It is my 'loaner' rifle for my "friends and family" plan...

Funny, I never thought about mine like that but mine is too...pre-DC sniper.

Windham makes a solid rifle at a decent price.
I think they will be around for a while.
Ceribus has been on a buy and kill spree for a while.
I had a lump in my throat when I heard the bought Thompson /Center.

Remember the amount of lawsuits Bushmaster is facing from one shooting or another. Transfer whatever IP they have to the surviving entities and let Bushmaster die. Remington should be allowed to spin them off so they can declare bankruptcy, but that’s not going to happen.

For Colt - bankruptcy is the best thing that can happen. Chapter 11, settle debt at a fraction of the outstanding amount, and emerge without much of the baggage. Do a valuation of their brand, sell it and go on their way.

Better rin out and get your tapco AK II triger kits !
Honestly I cant even remember when I last heard the Tapco brand mentioned. Its been over 20 years since I bought anything from tapco and I think the only thing that did not suck was the tapco II triger kit
DPMS another brand that sort of slipped away.
If your going to call anyone names call the DPMS/Tapco/Bushmaster SELLOUTS

In the end its about money , YOU wont hold onto a money loosing business any more than anyone else.
Just be careful Ceribus owns a boat load of other gun stuff companies that are just a $ away from getting cut.
Maybe Ceribus IS going to kill the gun business one buyout at a time.
Barnes might be next or the company they bought that makes silencers? Dakota Arms ?

It's about money. I've never looked at a Bushmaster, never really heard of Tapco, didn't have a high opinion of DPMS either. I'm a 'normal' type gun owner, not an avid, in depth, know everything about every company. I bet they are losing money on those brands. It sucks, but that really means there are tons of other manufacturers that have put them in that spot, which is a good thing overall.

The one Bushmaster AR I played with was all over the place fit and finish wise. The bolt group was a mess. It was one gun, but still. I know people who have DPMS guns, they 'own' them, but don't talk about them.

How is Windham Weapons doing? That may have been the one good thing that happened. Big corporations are slow to change, looks like they got beat in the game of change. They also have more overhead paying extra CEO's and such. Smaller companies, not so much. Guns are cheap now, unless you want a really tricked out 'special' variant.

Does Remington make anything good besides the 700 action?

Dont tell me lever actions.

The 1100. The problem for Remington is that there's so many used 1100s out there that buying a new one for like $800, $900 is just stupid. Further, with everyone afraid of buying a new Remington gun, that decreases their sales even more. With multigun, the JM Pro and detachable mag-fed shotguns are better than the 1100.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1100. The problem for Remington is that there's so many used 1100s out there that buying a new one for like $800, $900 is just stupid. Further, with everyone afraid of buying a new Remington gun, that decreases their sales even more. With multigun, the JM Pro and detachable mag-fed shotguns are better than the 1100.
Good call, I forgot about the Shotguns.

I recently bought an Remmy 870 tactical from a member here....I really like it. The beauty of it is that I can swap out the barrel in about 30 seconds and have a decent hunting shotgun.

Remington's 700s, 870s, Marlins, and 1911s post bankruptcy are well made. It was the transition period when Cerberus couldn't figure how to run a gun company that was a problem. Even the recent bankruptcy wasn't a result so much of mismanagement, beyond the R51 debacle, so much as Cerberus sticking them with a massive debt buying back shares Cerberus had been issued to repay itself for investing in new manufacturing plants (making the company borrow money to pay one class of the investors back). Typical MBA should be illegal but isn't bullshit to make sure they make their money back and dump all the risk on the other investors/shareholders which don't have insider information as part of the management.

Seems like a smart business move for them. The world has changed dramatically since Cerebro consolidated all those brands. Had Bushy been out there they'd be facing the same issues. While MSR's are hot, the market has very much dumbelled - you're either the low-cost provider or a high-cost allegedly-custom. Nothing left in teh middle because the middle raced to the low-cost bottom.

Not sure if serious, there are tons of vendors left in the middle, if we're talking like $800 to 2 grand. . (at least thats what I consider the middle of the AR market. )

Also DPMS/BM/etc were rarely "in the middle. " Maybe 15 years ago before they all got ruined. Nowadays is pretty much trash to the extent gun shops don't even buy much of it. There are other vendors that sell guns better than that junk for the same price. The last rem BM rifle i saw was a total joke, Smith M&P sport put it to shame.

The 870 police used to be good problem is theres a bunch of other shotguns you can get for less money regardless. Pretty much anything they make, somebody else does a better job at. Even the 700 was kind of meh, most people rarely ran them without mods. It just became famous because of its popularity. It was an accessible way to get a receiver. That whole safety recall fiasco they had several years ago did not help, either. Dealers had piles of broken guns.....

-Mike

Freedom group hasn’t made anything of quality in awhile I feel. Profit over quality. Seen a big decline in marlin and Remington. I wouldn’t buy a non JM stamped marlin.

Freedom group hasn’t made anything of quality in awhile I feel. Profit over quality. Seen a big decline in marlin and Remington. I wouldn’t buy a non JM stamped marlin.
I think they've been doing some weird bankster shell game bullshit with those gun companies, they don't care about them being profitable just the veneer, it's a bit mystifying how Remington can accumulate as much debt as it did while being so irrelevant in the market. I think there's likely a lot of financial f***ery going on there.

Sooooo many other (better) options.

Cut the me too sub par brands and focus on the core products.

Same as Colt exiting the AR market. It’s saturated and they fell to mid to average quality.

It’s a business. Not shocked

You are correct.
For some reason I thought it was Remington.

It may as well have been Cerebus for all the good S&W has done with them.
My cousins wife worked for T/C's foundry office when they were in Rochester.
Those were the good old days, when you could walk into the T/C Custom Shop, which was located next door at Fox Ridge Outfitters, and order a custom frame or barrel.
You could get smooth side frames with custom engraving, custom serial numbers, and barrels in any length, style, finish and chambering you can think of.
I have several one-of-a-kind Contender barrels made to my unique specs, and I had my cousins wife put in the orders for me so I got her 40% off employee discount.
Anyway, all was fine until S&W rolled up with a truck full of money and bought the company.
They promised they'd keep the Rochester facilities open and nobody would lose their jobs, but a year later S&W decided to "consolidate their operations" and soon they closed it all down and moved production to Springfield. Gone too was Fox Ridge and the Custom Shop.
I know they still make the G2 Contenders and Encores, but I never see them for sale anywhere, or even advertised anymore.
The only promotion I see is for their line of muzzleloaders, while the Contenders are virtually forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom