• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington killing Bushmaster, DPMS, Tapco, and StormLake Barrels

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
Oh, now my bushmaster is a rare collectible, look for it in the classifieds for $5k. 20 years ago this might have been a big deal but with so many producers, who cares? The Wall Street suits a Ceribus probably ran some numbers showing a positive NPV from shutting the brand.

Party time at the other AR manufacturers....

Better rin out and get your tapco AK II triger kits !
Honestly I cant even remember when I last heard the Tapco brand mentioned. Its been over 20 years since I bought anything from tapco and I think the only thing that did not suck was the tapco II triger kit
DPMS another brand that sort of slipped away.
If your going to call anyone names call the DPMS/Tapco/Bushmaster SELLOUTS

In the end its about money , YOU wont hold onto a money loosing business any more than anyone else.
Just be careful Ceribus owns a boat load of other gun stuff companies that are just a $ away from getting cut.
Maybe Ceribus IS going to kill the gun business one buyout at a time.
Barnes might be next or the company they bought that makes silencers? Dakota Arms ?

Before Remington acquired AAC they made incredible products. I have an old AAC Ti-rant 45 that is still as quiet as anything made today. They launched the OG Honeybadger and so many other great products. Remington has ruined AAC and I would bet they are not here in 18 months.

Remington Outdoor Company informed RSR at the SHOT Show that they will be focusing on their core hunting and shooting brands – AAC, Barnes, Marlin and Remington. Bushmaster, DPMS, StormLake Barrels and Tapco will no longer be produced, with the exception of the Bushmaster BA50.

My reading comprehension must be off this morning. How can they be focused "on their core hunting and shooting brands" while shuttering Marlin, Remington and Bushmaster...?

Why not just sell those Divisions and make back some money? Shuttering does no one any good. History shows us, Craftsmen are hard to replace.

Before Remington acquired AAC they made incredible products. I have an old AAC Ti-rant 45 that is still as quiet as anything made today. They launched the OG Honeybadger and so many other great products. Remington has ruined AAC and I would bet they are not here in 18 months.

Let's just say there's a reason why Kevin Brittingham left AAC after Remington bought it, then left SIG to found Q.

My reading comprehension must be off this morning. How can they be focused "on their core hunting and shooting brands" while shuttering Marlin, Remington and Bushmaster...?

Your reading comprehension is off this morning [laugh]

They're killing four brands and re-emphasizing four others. There's a period. Different sentences.

Wow I didn't know they own TAPCO. There goes half Bubba's supply of garbage furniture.
I agree that the TAPCO line turns a firearm into a MATEL product, but I do own a few stock sets that were purchased to save wear and tear on pristine wood that is kept in reserve.
As beaters, they work pretty good...

read it again. the first 4 mentioned will remain. next sentence, the companies mentioned will close.

I never owned anything Remington, and probably never will. I guess the market is too soft now, and shyte products don't sell like its post Sandy Hook anymore. Didn't pass mil spec (DPMS) hasn't had a decent AR 15 in their lineup for a while, and they probably can't survive off of their middle of the road AR10 line. Bushmaster? Please! And Tapco? Their shit feels like it's made out of pressed Pringles lids. Reminton itself is best at making bolt actions, and let's be honest, they're not even that good at what they're best at.

Remember Plymouth, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chrysler brands? They were just that, brands. Made alongside their Buick/Dodge counterparts.
Same thing for DPMS, Bushmaster, Stormlake. All the products will still be available under a different brand.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Honestly, how do you compete when you can put together an entire rifle for about $400-500? Who is going to buy your run-of-the-mill $800 or $900 rifle??? Seems like a smart business move for them. The world has changed dramatically since Cerebro consolidated all those brands. Had Bushy been out there they'd be facing the same issues. While MSR's are hot, the market has very much dumbelled - you're either the low-cost provider or a high-cost allegedly-custom. Nothing left in teh middle because the middle raced to the low-cost bottom.

But what do I know. Let's just be outraged. ROFL!!!! This is NES after all.

To be honest, I didn't even know TAPCO existed in any form anymore.

Honestly, how do you compete when you can put together an entire rifle for about $400-500? Who is going to buy your run-of-the-mill $800 or $900 rifle??? Seems like a smart business move for them. The world has changed dramatically since Cerebro consolidated all those brands. Had Bushy been out there they'd be facing the same issues. While MSR's are hot, the market has very much dumbelled - you're either the low-cost provider or a high-cost allegedly-custom. Nothing left in teh middle because the middle raced to the low-cost bottom.

But what do I know. Let's just be outraged. ROFL!!!! This is NES after all.

To be honest, I didn't even know TAPCO existed in any form anymore.
True. Somehow Windham is still doing it and Bushmaster isnt, or wont be soon

And how long will Windham hold on?? I'm not hoping for their demise. But it's like owning a PC manufacturing business in 1990. Sounds like a plan. But everyone and their brother has a NEW company that can produce CHEAPER than you. Gateway. Dell. Packard Bell. There were a myriad of them. Now you've got a few normal-end laptop manufacturers and some high end stuff. Same dumbbell strategy.

George Soros---> Freedom Group, Cerberus, Steward Health Care, all companies that are completely profit driven, are anti - gun, and SUCK! What was done to Remington / Bushmaster and all the rest, was a slow planned move with no consideration given to the employees who put many many years of blood sweat and tears into their work. It's all part of the anti - gun lobby and Dems. master plan to rid this country of firearms manufacturers etc.

And how long will Windham hold on?? I'm not hoping for their demise. But it's like owning a PC manufacturing business in 1990. Sounds like a plan. But everyone and their brother has a NEW company that can produce CHEAPER than you. Gateway. Dell. Packard Bell. There were a myriad of them. Now you've got a few normal-end laptop manufacturers and some high end stuff. Same dumbbell strategy.

I think you're overestimating the contraction of the AR market.

One, expect a blip again in sales later this year because of the election. I personally think Remington is being a little hasty in closing up shop now before the election even happens. That's like shooting a functional plow horse with no replacement substitute the winter before plowing needs to be done. That being said, if Remington is competently run, which is isn't, they'd be able to estimate how many guns they'll sell with a Trump victory versus a Dem victory. They can look back at 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016 and say "ok, we'll probably sell X number of ARs during this election year if Trump happens or Y number of ARs if the Dems win."

Two, this is really only the second major producer (counting Cerberus as one entity) to stop producing ARs. The other one was Colt and Colt's been dying a very slow death. Both Colt and Remington have went bankrupt within the last five years. These are two very weak gun companies. There's no innovation or really compelling reason to buy a DPMS or Bushmaster or a Colt AR. The market is very diverse, ranging from PSA to LMT in regard to price and quality. Colt and Remington are two heavily debt-laden bloated corpses that really offer nothing to the market. Smaller companies like say Windham or YHM don't have that massive debt burden that Remington and Colt do. See @Knob Creek's link, post No. 20. Cerberus loaded Remington up with debt and then shoved everything into a massive Alabama factory and made Remington foot the bill. Colt is also swimming in debt. Is Windham? Are the other small companies? Not as far as we know.

Colt and Remington have been on death's doorstep for quite some time, so to see either of the two contracting isn't a shocker.

I think you're overestimating the contraction of the AR market.

One, expect a blip again in sales later this year because of the election. I personally think Remington is being a little hasty in closing up shop now before the election even happens. That's like shooting a functional plow horse with no replacement substitute the winter before plowing needs to be done. That being said, if Remington is competently run, which is isn't, they'd be able to estimate how many guns they'll sell with a Trump victory versus a Dem victory. They can look back at 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016 and say "ok, we'll probably sell X number of ARs during this election year if Trump happens or Y number of ARs if the Dems win."

Two, this is really only the second major producer (counting Cerberus as one entity) to stop producing ARs. The other one was Colt and Colt's been dying a very slow death. Both Colt and Remington have went bankrupt within the last five years. These are two very weak gun companies. There's no innovation or really compelling reason to buy a DPMS or Bushmaster or a Colt AR. The market is very diverse, ranging from PSA to LMT in regard to price and quality. Colt and Remington are two heavily debt-laden bloated corpses that really offer nothing to the market. Smaller companies like say Windham or YHM don't have that massive debt burden that Remington and Colt do. See @Knob Creek's link, post No. 20. Cerberus loaded Remington up with debt and then shoved everything into a massive Alabama factory and made Remington foot the bill. Colt is also swimming in debt. Is Windham? Are the other small companies? Not as far as we know.

Colt and Remington have been on death's doorstep for quite some time, so to see either of the two contracting isn't a shocker.

For the past several years remington has only turned out gutter trash. The parent co needs to sell them off to someone who cares or just close their doors.

The only thing that they haven't completely f***ed up is their ammo manufacturing business.

-Mike

Lolwut, completely different businesses. And if Windham has withstood the past several years of suffering, not sure why they can't continue. The demand for ARs comes and goes
etc... and every day the target market expands again. Every time some dumb politician opens their mouth, the market expands. Every time we think its quiet, bloomberg or some shithead like Northam, etc, opens their mouth and more people go and buy guns.

Also PC sales were never really motivated by political fears. And most of those PC producers you mentioned, made shit, which is why they went out of business. And there never were that
many laptop houses either, even Dell, HP, etc, got companies like Twinhead, and other chinese/taiwanese outfits to actually make their laptops, contracted out to spec and house branded. Not any different than like the early flat panel monitor business where all the monitors had panels that were actually only made by like 3 companies at the most at the time......

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom