Remington killing Bushmaster, DPMS, Tapco, and StormLake Barrels

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
It may as well have been Cerebus for all the good S&W has done with them.
My cousins wife worked for T/C's foundry office when they were in Rochester.
Those were the good old days, when you could walk into the T/C Custom Shop, which was located next door at Fox Ridge Outfitters, and order a custom frame or barrel.
You could get smooth side frames with custom engraving, custom serial numbers, and barrels in any length, style, finish and chambering you can think of.
I have several one-of-a-kind Contender barrels made to my unique specs, and I had my cousins wife put in the orders for me so I got her 40% off employee discount.
Anyway, all was fine until S&W rolled up with a truck full of money and bought the company.
They promised they'd keep the Rochester facilities open and nobody would lose their jobs, but a year later S&W decided to "consolidate their operations" and soon they closed it all down and moved production to Springfield. Gone too was Fox Ridge and the Custom Shop.
I know they still make the G2 Contenders and Encores, but I never see them for sale anywhere, or even advertised anymore.
The only promotion I see is for their line of muzzleloaders, while the Contenders are virtually forgotten.

They were great folks up there in Rochester.
I cracked the stock on my Renegade and brought it up there.
The gent at the desk told me to leave it and come back up next weekend and they would have it done.
Went back up and he hands it back to me with a nice new stock.
How much do I owe you?
It's all set sir , have a nice day.
Customer service like that is hard to come by these days.

They were great folks up there in Rochester.
I cracked the stock on my Renegade and brought it up there.
The gent at the desk told me to leave it and come back up next weekend and they would have it done.
Went back up and he hands it back to me with a nice new stock.
How much do I owe you?
It's all set sir , have a nice day.
Customer service like that is hard to come by these days.
They did the same thing for with a barrel on my TC Renegade....I bought it from a friend of mine knowing the bore had some rust (my friend was pretty careless about cleaning it after shooting it). I bought it for a really good price...

I was a bit nervous about shooting it, even after cleaning it well so I took it the TC place in Gonic. They took it and told me to go have some lunch. I came back a couple of hours later and they had replaced the barrel. Like Dadstoys, they wouldn’t take dollar one for it. They sent me on my way a happy camper.

My first AR is a Bushmaster, made in 1998. Never have had any issues with it. My first skeet gun is a Rem 1100, bought in the 1970s. Solid performer. My Rem 870 Police Magnum is a retired cruiser gun made in the 1990s, also a solid performer.
Lol. Looks like the '90's were the "Good old days". Except for that 1970's "flyer"...

Funny, I never thought about mine like that but mine is too...pre-DC sniper.
Kinda like Newbie shooters. I break them up into two groups.
Pre-Sandy Hook and Post-Sandy Hook...

Last edited:
I recently bought an Remmy 870 tactical from a member here....I really like it. The beauty of it is that I can swap out the barrel in about 30 seconds and have a decent hunting shotgun.

The 870's are greatly improved by replacing the magazine spring with a heavy duty spring and a better follower...

The Fender Amps were especially effected by the CBS buy out too if I recall...

It may as well have been Cerebus for all the good S&W has done with them.
My cousins wife worked for T/C's foundry office when they were in Rochester.
Those were the good old days, when you could walk into the T/C Custom Shop, which was located next door at Fox Ridge Outfitters, and order a custom frame or barrel.
You could get smooth side frames with custom engraving, custom serial numbers, and barrels in any length, style, finish and chambering you can think of.
I have several one-of-a-kind Contender barrels made to my unique specs, and I had my cousins wife put in the orders for me so I got her 40% off employee discount.
Anyway, all was fine until S&W rolled up with a truck full of money and bought the company.
They promised they'd keep the Rochester facilities open and nobody would lose their jobs, but a year later S&W decided to "consolidate their operations" and soon they closed it all down and moved production to Springfield. Gone too was Fox Ridge and the Custom Shop.
I know they still make the G2 Contenders and Encores, but I never see them for sale anywhere, or even advertised anymore.
The only promotion I see is for their line of muzzleloaders, while the Contenders are virtually forgotten.

strange that no one else stepped in to buy it. Perhaps it was vastly unprofitable. If you can’t make enough money, you’ll go out whether just shuttering or being bought out or consolidated. If you are making piles of money, you are worth a ton.

I’m still watching Market Basket. I think they paid too much and at some point they’ll run into the same problem as before: you’re going to have to make someone hurt, either customers, workers or owners/debtors.

Back
Top Bottom