• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington 870 Issues

KDK

Well I'll be quick. I just bought a Remington 870 Express w/ 26" barrel. The gun is the one that comes parkerized. Well I took it out today to the range to try it out. The gun was shooting fine until about thirty shells through. Suddenly it began to bind up when I attempted to pump it after firing a shot. This kept happening over and over. Sometimes I could muscle it to eject the previous shell and load the new one and sometimes I had to actually remove the barrel. This got kind of frustrating. I think one of the issues I was having was that the extractor was not releasing the spent shell. I'm not sure why this is. Does anyone have experience with this issue? Is it a break in issue? I wouldn't assume a pump shotgun would have an issue like this.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
My friend had a Mossy 500 pump that had the same problems. It was the first time he shot it since buying it and I asked him if he had cleaned/lubed it, to which he replied NO. So that might be a good place to start if you haven't done so yet.

This is a well known problem with the 870, and I had it too.

The solution was to take a brass shotgun barrel brush, wrap some fine steel wool around it, chuck it into an electric drill, and polish the chamber for a little bit (maybe ten or twenty seconds worked for me).

I only got the binding when shooting slugs or heavy buckshot loads, never when shooting trap loads. After polishing the chamber i never had the problem again.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will definitely give it a cleaning and a chamber polishing. I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Were you using that cheapass ammo from Wally World with the alloy or steel rims?

If so, that is common. Use only brass rimmed hulls and you won't have a problem.

Go home and do what you should have done first, clean it it. The anti corrosion crud the cover the guns in from the factory is not lube.
I shoot cheap steel reloads with out resizeing out of my 870 with no issues.

This is a well known problem with the 870, and I had it too.

The solution was to take a brass shotgun barrel brush, wrap some fine steel wool around it, chuck it into an electric drill, and polish the chamber for a little bit (maybe ten or twenty seconds worked for me).

I only got the binding when shooting slugs or heavy buckshot loads, never when shooting trap loads. After polishing the chamber i never had the problem again.

It was exactly the same with my 870 Marine Magnum.
There were occasional problems (usually during matches when you really don't need them) with both
1 oz. sport slugs as well as 1 oz. No. 7 1/2.
Problem never appeared again after I had the chamber polished.

Allegedly, Remington got cheap when making them, and stopped polishing the interior of the receivers and the chambers. They left burrs, and sharp edges everywhere. That caused ejection issues.
At some point, they cleaned up their act, and started turning out decently finished guns again. That solved the ejection issues.

Sad that bean counters took a great, American company, turned it into dog shit, and then drove it into bankruptcy.

Short strocking it.

A way to clear it after it binds is slam the butt into your thigh.

Then handle it like a man, and slam the f***ing thing forward

Make sure the mag cap is tight and not allowing the barrel to move. This happened to me on a mossy and it didn't take much

Back
Top Bottom