Remington 597 recall?

A friend of mine was looking at a 597 17HMR when we discovered the ammo was recalled and also the rifle My local GS has one of these rifles. Why wouldn't he have been notified of the recall since the rifle is in his shop? My friend was going to buy it until I found the recall notice online.

So those recalls were years ago. Was this rifle new or used? If it was new and he has had it since it came from distribution he probably missed it.
As far as a used gun I don't think I've been to a shop before that would check recalls of a firearm before purchasing a used gun from an individual unless the specific firearm had a well known history of issues or recalls. I would not describe the Remington 597 as an exceptionally popular firearm seeing as it has been discontinued.

So those recalls were years ago. Was this rifle new or used? If it was new and he has had it since it came from distribution he probably missed it.
As far as a used gun I don't think I've been to a shop before that would check recalls of a firearm before purchasing a used gun from an individual unless the specific firearm had a well known history of issues or recalls. I would not describe the Remington 597 as an exceptionally popular firearm seeing as it has been discontinued.
It is used. It's in excellent condition but why buy something that was recalled? Now Remington has been bought out also.

al, no disrespect, but you got more tales of woe, doom and destruction on this site than anyone, including reptile. they should start a bigal subsite here...a megathread! [pot] ;) happy holiday season to ya.

al, no disrespect, but you got more tales of woe, doom and destruction on this site than anyone, including reptile. they should start a bigal subsite here...a megathread! [pot] ;) happy holiday season to ya.

Same to you. Actually most of them are not mine. I usually do it for my friends. I'm the guy that researches and makes sure everything is good. Merry Christmas!

Until Savage came out with their delayed blowback bolt, .17 HMR was notorious for premature bolt opening in the semiauto platform, allowing the case to blow out and send shards and hot gas back at the shooter/neighbor. That's why .17 HMR semiautos were banned by Appleseed a long time ago.

It is used. It's in excellent condition but why buy something that was recalled? Now Remington has been bought out also.
Why was it recalled?

Just because something was recalled once doesn't mean it won't work as intended after it was fixed.

That being said, it is a Remington, so it is probably a POS.

I have a 597 I bought new back in the early 2000's, I got it at one of the shows they had at the old Rockingham Park. It's actually one of the very few guns in my collection that I have NEVER fired. It also has one of the most retarded safeties I've ever seen. You can set the crossbolt to "safe" by pushing it with your finger, but it takes a special key-like tool to push it back to the "fire" position.
The lawyer that designed it deserves a good dope-slap upside the head.
However, it's a "Dale Earnhardt Jr. #8" special edition, stainless steel with a camo stock.
I've never seen another one like it, so it may be worth something in the future.
I have fired other 597's, and wasn't all that impressed by them, the triggers totally sucks ass.
What was the reason for the recall, people shooting themselves in the foot while fumbling with the key to release the safety ???

Last edited:
From what I read it was the Remington 17 HMR ammo that was recalled. then the article also said that Remington was recalling the 597 and giving $250 for it. It didn't give the reasons but my friend that was interested in buying it said he read that the gun "blew up". I haven't done anymore research on it.

The rifle in this pic is the same one my LGS has.

I have a 597 I bought new back in the early 2000's, I got it at one of the shows they had at the old Rockingham Park. It's actually one of the very few guns in my collection that I have NEVER fired. It also has one of the most retarded safeties I've ever seen. You can set the crossbolt to "safe" by pushing it with your finger, but it takes a special key-like tool to push it back to the "fire" position.
Yeah, no.

According to the fücking manual
(which doesn't mention .17 HMR models, sigh)
there is no little animated clown that juggles over
and twists the integrated security system 180° from unFlocked to Slocked
when you push the cross-bolt safety from Fire to Safe.

You could design a torsion spring for the cam to re-lock the safety,
but I don't see that in the manual.

It's just the same class of stupidity as the Ruger Mk III's internal lock
that needs a teentsy five-sided allen key to unlock the mainspring.
No doubt invented by the guy that invented pentagon bolts on water meter lids.

I tried the Ruger lock once, said "that's stupid - what if I lose the key?",
cranked it to Unlocked and it's been that way for seven solid years.

So now you're all set to grab that safe queen
and have an accident from that design defect.
Unless you lost the J-key...[rofl]

The lawyer that designed it deserves a good dope-slap upside the head.
The politician who pressured the lawyer into inventing it
should be hung from the same tree as
the tech writer who wrote the page that confused you.[angry]

Last edited:
FiremanBob explained the reason for the recall. The Remington rifle for this cartridge was a blowback action. Because of the pressure of the cartridge, it (and other similar blowback rifles in the same chambering) had the habit of cycling prematurely, i.e., before the bullet had left the muzzle and allowed chamber pressure to vent to atmospheric. As a result, cases failed and people were injured. Whether or not someone buys one of these, I suggest they not shoot it.

For those interested in more, see Rifle magazine, No. 312, July 2020, at p. 46.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom