Remind me again about non resident carry without NH carry license.

IvIax

Banned
I have a utah license which seems falls in reciprocity.
A non-resident of New Hampshire holding a current and valid license to carry a loaded handgun in the state in which he or she resides is not required to obtain a license to carry a loaded handgun within New Hampshire if he or she carries the license from his or her home state on his or her person, and that state provides a reciprocal privilege for residents of New Hampshire.

But last time I checked with you guys, someone told me as a non resident without a NH license, I can't have a loaded handgun in my car while traveling. I have to unloaded it first. Right?

Regardless of where you live, including NH. For residents it cost $10, for non - res., $100

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-mrg.htm
Section 159:4
159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

Source. 1923, 118:4. PL 149:4. RL 179:4. 1951, 151:1. RSA 159:4. 1967, 220:3. 1973, 528:84. 1994, 48:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1995.

Last edited:
New Hampshire does not recognize any non-resident CHL. Only home-state issued.

Call our Governor and ask her to sign SB 116.

New Hampshire does not recognize any non-resident CHL, will honor your MA-LTC the day that MA accepts our P&R.

You can have your handgun on your person, [thread=262815]magazine out and chamber empty[/thread], and be in compliance even in a vehicle. You can open carry when not in a motor vehicle.

Last edited:
Our Governor is an ass. But just to be sure, I can have an unloaded pistol in my car right?

This may be a stupid question but if I have an MA LTC B with restrictions, will I be approved for a non resident LTC in NH? The app says this:
"A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry license issued by the state, county, or town in which you reside." Thanks in advance for your response.

Tell me about it. I got it from Peabody when I was 23. It expires next year and I'm in a green town now but they told me I need to wait 6 months before expiration to renew for class A.

I wonder if you could get Peabody to expire it early so that you could apply for a Class A in your new town. You might have an easier time getting them to expire it if you tell them you are getting into competitions that use pre-ban high cap handguns, rather than telling them you wish to carry concealed.

I wonder if you could get Peabody to expire it early so that you could apply for a Class A in your new town. You might have an easier time getting them to expire it if you tell them you are getting into competitions that use pre-ban high cap handguns, rather than telling them you wish to carry concealed.
Might not be a bad idea, I'll look into it to see if thats a possibility. To be honest, it may not be worth the time/aggravation with only 6 months left.

New Hampshire will approve you

This may be a stupid question but if I have an MA LTC B with restrictions, will I be approved for a non resident LTC in NH? The app says this:
"A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry license issued by the state, county, or town in which you reside." Thanks in advance for your response.
[thread=232662]There was a brief period during which NH State Police were confused about LTC-A with restrictions[/thread], but that has since been resolved. However, I am unsure if LTC-B counts as an LTC under the rules laid out in [thread=227695]Saf-C 2102.03[/thread]?

Saf-C 2102.03 said:
License Required.
(a) For the purposes of this section, “resident state license” means a license to carry a pistol or revolver concealed in the state where the applicant resides.
(b) No nonresident license shall be issued unless the applicant provides a copy of the applicant’s resident state license, or unless the applicant displays, for verification, a resident state license.
Given that A person with a Class B license is forbidden to carry “concealed and loaded on a public way”, is an LTC-B really a LTC as given above?

I have a utah license which seems falls in reciprocity.
A non-resident of New Hampshire holding a current and valid license to carry a loaded handgun in the state in which he or she resides is not required to obtain a license to carry a loaded handgun within New Hampshire if he or she carries the license from his or her home state on his or her person, and that state provides a reciprocal privilege for residents of New Hampshire.

But last time I checked with you guys, someone told me as a non resident without a NH license, I can't have a loaded handgun in my car while traveling. I have to unloaded it first. Right?

I was just down in NH for my Utah training and was told by a NH instructor you can have a loaded gun in your car without a permit. That isnt the way the law reads to me, since I have to go down to NH often I just applied for a permit there. I think they give them to anyone as long as they hold a permit.

If you have a Res Utah permit you can use it in NH but not a non Res Utah permit

I was just down in NH for my Utah training and was told by a NH instructor you can have a loaded gun in your car without a permit. That isnt the way the law reads to me, since I have to go down to NH often I just applied for a permit there.
I don't see how an instructor could read RSA 159:4 "No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle ... without a valid license...." and make that statement about New Hampshire law.

Utah is different, Utah state law 76-10-505 allows adult citizens to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, no license required.

I think they give them to anyone as long as they hold a permit.
New Hampshire's Non-resident Pistol and Revolver licenses are issued by NH state police, a prerequisite is a resident carry license from your home state. It is rare for an applicant with a clean record to be denied a license by the state police.

If you have a Res Utah permit you can use it in NH but not a non Res Utah permit
Correct. NH RSA 159:6-d automatically provides reciprocity to resident permits from any state which recognizes NH resident P&R Licenseholders, this includes Utah.

Last edited:
I don't see how an instructor could read RSA 159:4 "No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle ... without a valid license...." and make that statement about New Hampshire law.

Utah is different, Utah state law 76-10-505 allows adult citizens to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, no license required.

Yes, I won't try to carry a loaded gun in NH. That instructor can screw you up big time.

Back
Top Bottom