Rem700 .243-Build Help

I am putting together my first rifle and I need some help. I am a shotgun hunter, who puts the gun away between seasons, but I want to get into coyote hunting and target shooting; trouble is I don’t have anyone to teach me the ins and outs of setting up an accurate rifle.
I have a new Remington 700 SPS Varmint chambered in .243 WIN and a new Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 SF MilDot. I now need help choosing an appropriate set of base and rings.
If you guys could offer me some advice on specific products it would be most appreciated. Furthermore, if you could give me any instruction/warnings about properly putting the rig together, that would also be welcomed.
Bipods, trigger, firing pin, stock, bedding, DBM are all things that I hope to do in the next year or two as funds allow. But getting the rifle functional is my first priority.

I would suggest a 1 piece steel base. Find out how big the tube on you scope is and how much rise you need and that will tell you what you need for height for your rings. If you call Nikon they can tell you what you need for height.

Check midway here for a base. EGW is a decent brand that is not to expensive.

I would guess you need 1" rings and low for height but double check that.

Here are 1" rings Burris is a decent name here.

I would say go with picatinny. Just make sure you stay with what ever style you chose. Don't skimp on quality here, no need to buy Badger but don't get cheap stuff.

I went with an EGW Picatinny base and Burris Extreme Tactical rings. I bought them all from Optics Planet; I couldn't find another site that beat their prices and it's free shipping.

My only concerns about these two products are from warnings that I read in other forums about using low cost aluminum rings and bases, and the quality of the screws that come with the EGW base. I don't know if these are even relevant since I'm shooting the mild recoiling .243 WIN.

What do I need to start planning for? Any good advice for setting this rig-up? What should be my next purchase?

Thanks for all the help...keep it coming

If you want a good setup look at Badger Ordnance rings and their 1 piece base.

I currently have a Badger base with Burris extreme tactical rings on my rifle. I'm going to switch to Badger rings on it when I get a new scope. (not because the Burris rings are bad, just that they'll be going back on a different rifle along with the scope).

You'll want to get out of the SPS varmint stock if you want to shoot accurately. I recently bought one and the barrel rests on the stock. You can get a new stock that free floats the barrel and while you're at it has a bedding block so you don't have to have a gunsmith bed it, just torque the mounting bolts to what the manufacturer recommends.

I would buy these rings. Have used many rings and spent lots of money. Was introduced to these rings by a friend and have not looked back. $41 for rings and bases and there Talleys! Rock solid mount without all the added bulk.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=884645

884645.jpg

Cheek Piece Needed

Rifle was purchased today. Pretty excited.... The set up was done for me at the shop, and I realize now that I probably should have purcahsed low Rings for the Burris XTs. The barrel/objective clearance is about 5/8". The comb is low and I can't get a proper cheek weld with scope alignment

It looks like I am going to have to buy a riser of some sort. Any reccomendations for aftermarket cheek-pieces or similar products with pouches? I have seen the blackhawks, Accu-Risers, and Karsten/Kydex which I read about in the forums. I am leaning towards a Karsten.

Back
Top Bottom