Relocating a SBR in MA

I could not find an answer any where. I understand that you need to notify ATF when moving instate, but do you need to notify the CLEO of the town you are moving to? Any help would be great.

I could not find an answer any where. I understand that you need to notify ATF when moving instate, but do you need to notify the CLEO of the town you are moving to? Any help would be great.

Not necessary. Ever.

-Mike

Don't even need to notify the ATF when moving in-state either.

Yes you do or at least for any Permanant Relocation of any NFA Item. Use the 5320.20 form and in Item 2 check the No box, in Item 5 use the given example, Item 6 is for the old address, Item 7 is for your new pemanent address, in Item 8 I put Personel Vehicle, put all other pertinent info in correct boxes, sign, date, mail via Certified w/Return Receipt. You should receive a nice letter from the NFA Branch eventually and they will thank you for helping keep the Registry up to date.

Yes you do or at least for any Permanant Relocation of any NFA Item. Use the 5320.20 form and in Item 2 check the No box, in Item 5 use the given example, Item 6 is for the old address, Item 7 is for your new pemanent address, in Item 8 I put Personel Vehicle, put all other pertinent info in correct boxes, sign, date, mail via Certified w/Return Receipt. You should receive a nice letter from the NFA Branch eventually and they will thank you for helping keep the Registry up to date.

Super stupid question, can you clarify "servicable" as it pertains to this form? I'm guess it's as simple as a "Yes" if it's an operable firearm, and "No" if it can't be fired again.

Interesting...I am not saying your wrong at all, but when I called the NFA branch a few months ago they said it was only needed for out of state moves. They said there was no law regulating transportation within the State the firearm was made.

I asked my question to the NFA because I was moving during the "approval" process.

Interesting...I am not saying your wrong at all, but when I called the NFA branch a few months ago they said it was only needed for out of state moves. They said there was no law regulating transportation within the State the firearm was made.

I asked my question to the NFA because I was moving during the "approval" process.
Government employees and cops are some of the least well informed.

Super stupid question, can you clarify "servicable" as it pertains to this form? I'm guess it's as simple as a "Yes" if it's an operable firearm, and "No" if it can't be fired again.

Honestly, I don't know. All of ours are clearly "servicable", so I am not sure where the dividing line is. Common sense would agree with your definition. That counts for next to nothing though.

Yes, if you are transporting within the state there is no notification needed, but it is my understanding (and was confirmed by my interactions with BATFE and lawyers during our recent move) that when the firearm is permenantly relocated, regardless of state boundaries, that you are to notify the BATFE.

Honestly, I don't know. All of ours are clearly "servicable", so I am not sure where the dividing line is. Common sense would agree with your definition. That counts for next to nothing though.

Yes, if you are transporting within the state there is no notification needed, but it is my understanding (and was confirmed by my interactions with BATFE and lawyers during our recent move) that when the firearm is permenantly relocated, regardless of state boundaries, that you are to notify the BATFE.

Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Back
Top Bottom