• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloads n More .38 DEWC?

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
I picked up a few 148 grain double-ended wadcutters from "Reloads n More," but am having a hard time finding load data. Seems like everything in my books refers to the hollow-base wadcutter. Anyone have any pointers or favorite recipies? These are just for plinking, so I don't need anything crazy. (I have 231, Titegroup, and Unique on hand.)

Here's a picture. I assume I should be seating them to the crimp groove?
38_148gr_DEWC.png

im using those, crimped at the top indent (so about 1mm sticking out end of case) with 2.2grains of Bullseye.

they seem to shoot well, and i get A LOT of those out of a pound of powder.

i havent tried titegroup behind the lead, because i heard it burns pretty dirty with lead

Try 3.0 of 231 and work down for lighter loads. Watch for unburned powder, check accuracy and stop when you get poor accuracy or unburned powder. Set your OAL at 1.16 and the crimp should take care of itself.

Holow base, bevel base, and DE W/C all load the same. I found Hollow Base more accurate out to 50 yards when I shot PPC so that is what I used.

I suggest you try 2.7 grains of Bullseye, a standard wadcutter load for bullseye shooting since the beginning of time.

2.8 of Bullseye or 3.1 of 231 are my pet loads for these. And as you've seen they'll hold the 10 ring on the small PPC target at 50' from my 586's(if I do my part, lol). You switchin from the Sig for PPC this year?

2.8 of Bullseye or 3.1 of 231 are my pet loads for these. And as you've seen they'll hold the 10 ring on the small PPC target at 50' from my 586's(if I do my part, lol). You switchin from the Sig for PPC this year?

For PPC I'd rather shoot my 686 than my Sigs. I shot it a few times last year but it was hard to find reasonably-priced wadcutter ammo. Now I can make my own. [grin]

I wanted the hollow-base wadcutters but Rileys only had the double-ended. I'm sure they're more accurate than I am anyway!

I sink the 148gr wadcutter to the edge of the brass and give it a good crimp. If you stand the round on the bullet end it actually sits on the roll crimp. I use 700x powder for it. I haven't used any of the powders your using.

Shot these with 3.0 grains of 231 at the PPC match tonight. Seated to the top of the first crimp groove (maybe 1/8th of an inch from the end) and rolled in. Federal brass and gold metal match primers. Nice and soft shooting out of my 686 with good accuracy. (I was shooting pretty good until the very last stage but that was me not the ammo.) Thanks to everyone for the input.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom