Reloading 9mm

allen-1

NES Member
As I've mentioned here before, my wife bought me a press a couple of years ago. A Dillon 650 to be precise. I currently load mostly 9mm, with some .38 SPCL, .357Mag and .357SIg.

She bought it for me as a stress reliever. "Allen's in the garage loading, you will NOT disturb him". And it's worked out well. It's peaceful running the press. I have a computer in the garage with a good set of speakers attached to it, and the speakers are mounted above my loading bench. I crank up the tunes and crank out rounds.

It took me a while to get (somewhat) proficient with it, and there were mistakes and broken parts along the way. I'm at the point now where I can reliably load 9mm rounds that run my guns and pass power factor for IDPA/USPSA. So, as long as I have components, I don't have to worry about finding ammo.

When I started, a couple of my friends asked me why I was loading 9mm, since it was so available, and so cheap. I told them that I liked reloading, and it was nice to have the consistency in feel of the loads I was building.

I just came back from the range, I did a couple drills and decided it was too freaking hot to spend any more time there - 95 degrees today, FYVM.

So, I only shot about 100 rounds. Two boxes of ammo as it were. Which should cost somewhere between 16 and 26 dollars before the current state of affairs. Right now those hundred rounds are about 40$ - if you can find them. I figure it cost me somewhere between 4 and 5 bucks.

Cost savings wasn't my motivation for reloading - but it sure makes it look good now...

Same here. I mainly shoot 9mm and never saw the need to reload. I have an ample supply of ammo that should last a while, and I shoot quite a bit, but when I began to see what was happening with ammo prices and availability, I decided to start reloading. I got into it just in time, because as you know, any components are hard to come by now. I should be set for a while.

I honestly didn't know a lot about reloading, and there's still a lot more for me to learn, but I now know that savings on ammo as a reason is pretty low on the totem pole.

As I've said numerous times before, reloading is quite therapeutic for many. It is like having a new hobby, so rolling your own is very satisfying as well (even if factory ammo costs about the same or even a little less). Although I no longer have an SKS, I still reload 7.62x39mm, as I have components available. Why? because I can. Besides, I top many of these rounds with bullets not commonly available.

I still don't know if I reload to shoot more or if I shoot more to have empties to reload.

Damn You mean I'm supposed to be saving money by casting and reloading 9mm, .45, .38 and 12 guage? I only really got into reloading so I didn't have to chase down any ammo when I wanted to go shooting. Then I found out I was getting some therapeutic alone time in the basement, with some nice peaceful background music playing. My initial outlay for the presses and some lessons on accurately reloading, along with finding and stockpiling components was a fairly large capital outlay. It's been several years since all that I now am making good quality and AVAILABLE to me when I want it at very inexpensive cost per round. I know it was money well spent! Even it these tumultuous and turbulent times where everything is in short supply components are still out there if you know where to look and can negotiate a little . Trades are always welcome, I run into a lot of stuff I don't use but the availability and price may cause me to purchase some for a trade commodity.

Last edited:
I too just started end of last year, in the nick of time really. I’m having a blast and learning new things everyday. I’ve got friends who thought I was crazy couple months now wanting to come join me. I have to give thanks to NES and all the people on here that have helped me throughout the journey.

9mm is about $7 per hundred if you cast your own

$3 for primers
$2 for bullets
$2 for powder

Still takes a decent amount of shooting to payoff the equipment but who's in this to save money...
Self sufficiency is important.
A deeper understanding of our sport is very important. Reloading is the next step to this understanding.
I look at it this way. If It cost you $50 for a range trip and you barely get to shoot then you’re going to be bore and not going to do it often. If you can spend $75 and shoot 1000 rounds a week you just might do that.
You’re probably going to spend more but you will shoot way more and it’s actually worth it to go.

Another advantage is being part of the "Reloading" section on this site. Honestly, I think they are some of the most helpful, CIVIL people here.

This is so true kerryman71, so true. I'm a big fan of all of NES. But there are certain times and sections that I have to make sure I have my "extra thick" skin on. I'm an old fart, so I thought nothing really will surprise me, but damn, some personalities and subjects make me rethink that opinion.

The reloading section just seems to be a calming factor where I can go for accurate real world experience and learn from others without judgement.

Jay

Damn You mean I'm supposed to be saving money by casting and reloading 9mm, .45, .38 and 12 guage? I only really got into reloading so I didn't have to chase down any ammo when I wanted to go shooting. Then I found out I was getting some therapeutic alone time in the basement, with some nice peaceful background music playing. My initial outlay for the presses and some lessons on accurately reloading, along with finding and stockpiling components was a fairly large capital outlay. It's been several years since all that I now am making good quality and AVAILABLE to me when I want it at very inexpensive cost per round. I know it was money well spent! Even it these tumultuous and turbulent times where everything is in short supply components are still out there if you know where to look and can negotiate a little . Trades are always welcome, I run into a lot of stuff I don't use but the availability and price may cause me to purchase some for a trade commodity.
same here, grew tired of driving to 5-8 shops picking up a few hundred here and there and tryingto find the same manufacture. Reloading has only cost me more money , but its money better spent.

Had shooters for years tell me I was crazy to reload for nine. Got the old 'It's not worth it 9mm is cheap enough'. I tried to explain that the goal is better ammunition that you can tailor to your needs, and self sufficiency. Saving money is a by-product.

I can understand both sides of this argument. Unlike some who have responded above, I do not reload everything I shoot. I have the capability to reload every caliber I shoot.

When I can buy 9mm for $8 a box, I do. When I cannot, I load it. I've never been a big fan of buying factory 10mm or 357 magnum, as the 'cheap' pre-covid prices weren't that cheap, but otherwise I make a value decision at the time of purchase.

I'm so glad to be out of the ammo buying game. The satisfaction of shooting your own ammo that you made yourself is priceless. I jumped into the Blue pool and I am so glad I did. Having friends with the same press to rely upon for advice and guidance is the icing on the cake.

I initially got into loading to save money since I was loading for .45 Colt, .223, 30-06, .38 spl, .357 mag, .45 acp. I shoot 9mm, but it didn't seem worth it to load. I soon gained appreciation for the consistency/customization of the loads vs factory ammo and added 9mm to the mix for that reason. I've since added Arisaka and .303B. When loading it feels meditative since I disconnect from everything else.

True but I don't watch sports and watch very little TV so reloading is my stress relief time.

If I could pick up extra paid time at work, I would need to evaluate buying ammo instead but would probably still reload at some reduced level.
yep, i see where you're heading. i'm retired. it's not unusual for me to kill "dead" time reloading. you might find me at 2 am at the bench. i stopped in on my way back from taking a wiz instead of going back to bed to knock out a couple hundred. my day is pretty full for an old guy so i grab time when it shows itself. i stopped casting 30 years ago. don't know where i found the time. it got to where i realized it was easier and cheaper to just buy lead bullets instead of finding the time to cast. casting chews up time, once you get going you just don't stop as you well know, after a half hour.

back to topic, at a minimum, figure casting and reloading, $15/hr. added to the cost. not much but it's there just the same.

and in case i didn't mention it, i like reloading. been on it ~45 years. never reloaded out of necessity, just liked making my own.

Went to the range yesterday and shot 300 9mm, 100 .22lr, and 50 .45acp. If anyone was there (there wasn't) they would have thought I was crazy with the pile of brass I had next to me.....
Didn't even scratch the surface..
I actually have so much .223 that I may sell a couple of cases I got from TSUSA (but I hesitate to lose the brass...)

yep, i see where you're heading. i'm retired. it's not unusual for me to kill "dead" time reloading. you might find me at 2 am at the bench. i stopped in on my way back from taking a wiz instead of going back to bed to knock out a couple hundred. my day is pretty full for an old guy so i grab time when it shows itself. i stopped casting 30 years ago. don't know where i found the time. it got to where i realized it was easier and cheaper to just buy lead bullets instead of finding the time to cast. casting chews up time, once you get going you just don't stop as you well know, after a half hour.

back to topic, at a minimum, figure casting and reloading, $15/hr. added to the cost. not much but it's there just the same.

and in case i didn't mention it, i like reloading. been on it ~45 years. never reloaded out of necessity, just liked making my own.

The hourly cost argument is total BS. That would only factor in if you have to choose between working and reloading, and you choose reloading. But if you reload on your downtime and wouldn't be doing anything productive anyway, the argument is dead.

Back
Top Bottom