Reid claims he'll bring anti gun bill to vote Wed April 17th.

I don't think this is over. Hopefully the republicans will start a campaign to de-fund and repeal obamacare to put the progressives on the defensive for a while.

What happens from here? Anything?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The vote now is for an amendment that would require veterans deemed unable to handle their finances be adjudicated as mentally incompetent before they can become prohibited persons.

I don't even understand why this amendment is needed. Vets in poor financial condition are on NICS as sole condition? So many have hard time with jobs after returning for tours.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't even understand why this amendment is needed. Vets in poor financial condition are on NICS as sole condition? So many have hard time with jobs after returning for tours.
Ahh, found explanation:
At issue is whether a veteran who has been found unable to handle his or her financial affairs should have the right to own a gun. The Department of Veterans Affairs frequently assigns someone else, often a family member, to handle a veteran's finances, including his or her government pension and benefits. This triggers a report to the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) that the veteran is "incapacitated." Under the law, any such person, veteran or not, is barred from buying or owning guns. The law also applies to family members living under the same roof.

It's needed because there are currently over 100k veterans on the prohibited list for this reason. Right now, they have to go through an appeals process to be removed which puts the burden of proof on them rather than having to be adjudicated first.

Moot point as it failed.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi-Cap ban up now.

they're voting on amendments now..... but the bill is still in play... S. 649, the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013

so how does this shit work? it's been a while since civics class.....
they go through the amendments, then it's finalized and they vote on the bill itself? If it passes then the house has to come up with something and it dies in the house?

I think this is the last vote of the day. Reid announced 3 more votes right before the AWB amendment. They'll continue tomorrow.

they're voting on amendments now..... but the bill is still in play... S. 649, the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013

so how does this shit work? it's been a while since civics class.....
they go through the amendments, then it's finalized and they vote on the bill itself? If it passes then the house has to come up with something and it dies in the house?

That sounds right to me.

Back
Top Bottom