• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rehoboth PD has a humvee?!?

Whats wrong with usless mil humvees being transfered to leo? Useful for flood situations etc. Not so much for gun fights

There was some noise a few months ago about .gov (EPA specifically) blocking 1033 Program transfers of MRAPs and other multi-fueled diesel vehicles, because being able to burn everything from JP7 to camel piss means no emissions controls.
I don't know how that ended, tho.

There was some noise a few months ago about .gov (EPA specifically) blocking 1033 Program transfers of MRAPs and other multi-fueled diesel vehicles, because being able to burn everything from JP7 to camel piss means no emissions controls.
I don't know how that ended, tho.

They backed off (for now). I own a multifuel M35. No emissions.

Any more details on that? I thought they had to be shredded if sold to civilians?

Doesn't matter, why should they get them and we can't? Remove the bullshit "de-mil only" stipulations on HMMWV auctions and sell them to the general public.

Believe me, you don't want one. You have no idea how badly you don't want one.

886086f0b963ac44517275a7c525145a.jpg

Eating lunch at 99's in Fairhaven and see this?

Seriously, are the cows gettin restless out there?

right down the street from my house...so why are they 30 miles away from Rehoboth in Funtown?...i'm sure there is a 99 a little closer to home

right down the street from my house...so why are they 30 miles away from Rehoboth in Funtown?...i'm sure there is a 99 a little closer to home
There was a dartmouth "special ops" vehicle and also lakeville amd seekonk cruiser. Im guessing something to do with SEMLEC

Werent MRAPs specifically designed to be used in heavily mined areas? Is something going on down on the south coast we should know about?

Whoa... this is confusing/surprising. Of all of Massachusetts, the city/town that has received the most military surplus is....Rehoboth?!? Since 2012 they have received $865,247 in surplus military equipment. A big city like Lowell? $3,450

source:
http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/EFOIA-Privacy/Pages/ereadingroom.aspx#1033

- - - Updated - - -

BTW rehoboth has 10,000 residents, and has had 3 murders in the past 15 years.

Actually 10,172 residents living in a GREEN TOWN! High ground clearance, four wheel drive, great stuff to have available for emergencies. And since the rehoboth pd mostly let's all of us residents alone, I could care what toys they get within budget. Ront

I'd be happy if they replaced all the police cruisers with old military HMMV's. Mainly because schadenfreude. Then they can enjoy the uncomfortable seats, be cold in winter, hot in summer, and overall uncomfortable ride. I'm sure they'd love it though because it would make them feel badass. Maybe toss in some airsoft 249's and 240b's. They are just as practical as a HMMV for local cops.

Believe me, you don't want one. You have no idea how badly you don't want one.

This^ I road as "A DRIVER"(passenger seat) all the way from mosul to the port in shwayba Kuwait in one that had an electrical problem. Batteries are under the passenger seat.......****ing cooked my ass and balls the whole way! Actually rode some of that trip doing a chin up on the roll bar to get my nuts up off that seat! HMMWVs suck!

Last edited:
I've seen plenty of HMMWVs leave a DRMO on flatbeds going to civilian agencies and even private sale.....never heard anything about emissions being an issue......the engine on a HMMWV is just a 6.2 diesel made by gm and used in all the civilian c/k gm trucks in the 80's and 90s. Newer models of HMMWV have a 6.5 liter turbo but the old shit cans they are getting rid of all have the older 6.2 gm diesel......which you could operate with no problem if you owned an 80s or early 90s gmc truck with that motor in it.

Guys......bear in mind I'm not a proponent of civilian PDs haveing mraps........I am a proponent of facts. Just letting you know that the HMMWV pictured has absolutely no more tactical advantage than a jeep. Its fiberglass......there is no need to "fear the beast". It just seems like people see HMMWV and immediately think it is some badass tactical machine. The older ones are not up armored.....and other than a pretty good off road capability they are uncomfortable........slow as ****.......have the turning radius of USS Ronald Reagan......are loud......leak like a sive in the rain...........and have absolutely no side or rear visability in traffic. Can't you tell how much I like HMMWVs!

And despite their size, the seating inside is very tight. You sit in bucket seating from a compact car and the area between the seats is larger than a kitchen table. And they don't fit in parking spaces, they are much wider than a pick up truck.

They stopped selling new civilian H1's back in '06 of so because people just don't buy them. I think they averaged less than 600 sales per yr nationwide. Their deprciation was horrible too, fuel costs very expensive because that thing weighs a TON.

Having done thousands of miles in a Humvee, the cool "look" is perhaps the only benefit. Nothing like sitting on top off the two batteries in the passenger seat to give you total swamp ass...

That said, I don't have an issue with PD's that have a legitimate need getting unarmored Humvees. My municipality has over 100 miles of dirt roads and sand covered beach roads, many of them in pretty nasty shape, and we've absolutely destroyed the suspensions on the Ford Expeditions we used to use on them. Now with the couple inches of ground clearance we get with Explorers and the crap beach off road handling of our Ford pickups, I just don't see an issue here. Not to mention, they're good in the snow.

Humvees are a wholly different issue than MRAP's are in my opinion are cost prohibitive and pure overkill for any municipal police department (not to mention the weight issue on bridges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom