Regarding selling gun and all ammo

Hi guys,

In which way will I get the biggest bang for my buck? I have a S&W MP9C and about 500 rounds of ammo. If I bring it all to a dealer will the dealer buy any of it without trying to low ball me? Or is my best bet to try selling here, or another private method?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Hi guys,

In which way will I get the biggest bang for my buck? I have a S&W MP9C and about 500 rounds of ammo. If I bring it all to a dealer will the dealer buy any of it without trying to low ball me? Or is my best bet to try selling here, or another private method?

You are best off selling it here or in private, I had an M&P 9c which I sold on these boards very quickly, you have to remember that the dealer's make their livelihoods on re-selling the gun so you will likely not get the best going rate for it. As long as it's priced reasonably, I'm sure it will sell pretty fast on here.

Does anyone know how much 500 rounds of 9mm would fetch?

300 rds WWB
150 Rds Lellier & Bellot
And the rest is Winchester Superior Elite Personal Protection Ammo

Dealers buy at wholesale and sell at retail. That is how they make money. A dealer can't buy it at retail, resell it for the same price, and make money in the process.

You can sell it privately and get retail.

Last edited:
Selling a gun to a dealer is just like selling a car to a dealership.

You will get ripped off, they are in business to make money. Try listing it here, if priced reasonably it will sell fast.

Some dealers will also take a gun on consignment and you pay them a fee. I did that at First Defense and it sold quickly.

My advice: Stop by a shop or two and ask them how much they would give you for the gun and/or what their consignment fees are. Also look the the WTS posts on this site and others to see how much those pistols sold for. That should give you a solid price range.

If your objective is to get cash, you are better off listing it here. A dealer has to bone you on the price in order to make anything on what he is buying from you.

-Mike

Dealers typically buy a gun for ~50% of what they think they can sell it for. So if they feel that your gun will sell for $450 (just a guess), you will likely get $225 for it. If they put it on consignment, you don't get the money until it sells, but you typically get ~80% of what it sells for.

9mm WWB is worth (retail) what WM sells it for. Not sure because of recent price increase but est. ~$22/100. I'd guess that S&B would probably get $12/50. Unsure of PP ammo but guess would be ~$20/50. BUT, these are prices you could probably get HERE on NES . . . NOT from a dealer.

Hi guys,

Just curious....if you don't mind saying, are you getting out of shooting or just 9mm?

Just curious....if you don't mind saying, are you getting out of shooting or just 9mm?

Titan, I don't mind the question. I'm looking to get a snub nose gun as my one and only concealed carry weapon. I thought I'd be happy carrying this, but I'm not. I'll be much happier with a pocket gun. I have it listed for sale on this site currently, and I although it's set at the same price I see the used going for @ Four Seasons, I'm including two holsters.

The most I could ever think of giving you for the gun would be like $350. Maybe as much as $75 for the ammo. Those prices are at the high end of what a dealer would give, so the average would be lower. You will always make more selling privately, but with a dealer you walk out with cash.

Just remember that you're selling the gun at an inflated price and simply giving away the ammo [laugh]

As someone said previously, you are usually MUCH better off selling the gun face to face. Dealers are in business to make money. They are not non-profit charities. A lot of people don't comprehend that. Why should they buy a gun at retail when they can't sell it to make a profit? It makes no sense.

Typically, most dealers go to the Blue Book of Gun Values and look up the current market price at 90% condition. They then multiply that by 60 % and that's what they will offer you. So, if you have a Blue Book gun value of $500, expect to get $300 from the dealer. That's just the way it works. It's usually very consistent.

If you hear internet legends about a dealers who don't do that, a legend is exactly what it is.

It's not a rip-off, it's commerce and no different from any other retail pricing such as new cars. You can always walk away.

As far as ammo goes, most dealers I believe can't buy ammo because of the liability involved. There is know way of knowing how that ammo has been stored or abused so selling it to someone else becomes a problem

Back
Top Bottom