? regarding NH pistol permit

Explain the evidence underlying this rather strange conclusion. How do non-residents have a "powerful voice in the NH legislature?" Who is this "powerful voice?"

Sorry for the time lag in replying. I have been offline for quite a few weeks.

The group of legislators who kept non-residents from having to pay at least break-even cost for the license are some of the wealthy, old-timer, "pro gun" Republicans who formerly dominated the Public Protection Committee. One chaired the committee for years, but no longer, and others fought losing battles for re-election and will probably not be back.

They knew that non-resident licenses were losing the state money as far back as 1999, but blocked every attempt to revisit the cost. They are also the same group who blocked every attempt to increase the minimum term for the NH resident license, who blocked an earlier attempt to remove the various restrictions on knives, and are in fact the same bunch that tried to reduce the term of the NH resident Pistol & revolver license not that long ago.

If you are believed to be carrying without a license and the officer in question can't get in touch with your home PD, you're very likely to be detained and unarmed until you are proven to be licensed. It's "only" a misdemeanor the first time, but a felony the second and subsequent offences. I bet you are treated like you'll be facing felony charges until they know better. Food for thought.

My feelings exactly. I live in a small town with a VERY small PD, we often share overnights with surrounding towns.
If that situation did arise for me it might well be many hours until it got resolved. Not my idea of a good time, especially if it all could have been avoided by having my license with me.

Back
Top Bottom