? regarding NH pistol permit

MJM

Does anyone know if producing a laminated wallet sized copy of your permit suffices should it be required to produce. thanks

Are you saying you made a wallet sized copy of your wallet sized New Hampshire pistol permit, then left the actual permit at home and carry the copy?

If this is what you did my opinion would be carry the original.

Yes, this is what i wanted to do. carry the original folded up now but wanted to make a wallet sized laminated copy to carry instead.

Yes. That's how I carry mine

There is no statutory requirement to carry your License on your person. A small copy (mine is credit-card sized color copy; laminated keeps it from folding) is more than sufficient. The original is not only too large to conveniently carry, but it's also fragile, and will soon start to look like an original copy of the Declaration of Independence if hauled around in your wallet.

thanks for the info Scott. i figured as long as the information was visible and the could reference everything it should be OK.

Are you saying you made a wallet sized copy of your wallet sized New Hampshire pistol permit, then left the actual permit at home and carry the copy?

If this is what you did my opinion would be carry the original.

I know my permit is not wallet sized (it's about 8" x 5", so it doesn't carry well in a wallet. MJM said what he meant, he reduced the size while makingt a copy in order to make it fit in his wallet.

I know my permit is not wallet sized (it's about 8" x 5", so it doesn't carry well in a wallet. MJM said what he meant, he reduced the size while makingt a copy in order to make it fit in his wallet.

ahh i was confused like radioman, my NH permit is the same as a credit card... then again, mine is a non-res

I have a New Hampshire non - resident pistol permit issued 8/17/2008 and it is just like a credit card not paper am I missing something here ?

I have a New Hampshire non - resident pistol permit issued 8/17/2008 and it is just like a credit card not paper am I missing something here ?

OP is from NH, im assuming they get a different permit then us non-resers

OP is from NH, im assuming they get a different permit then us non-resers

Correct. We get a big ol' honking piece of paper, and to make it even more fragile, note that it's printed on recycled paper.

1znllis.jpg

Really, what is the big deal? I have 10+ year old licenses in my wallet and they are fine. Looking at one now issued in 1999 and it is fine.

Really, what is the big deal? I have 10+ year old licenses in my wallet and they are fine. Looking at one now issued in 1999 and it is fine.

I suppose if you never pull it out and open it, you're fine. Try opening and closing it a few times (like, for say, FTF gun buys or to certify for a course), and it rapidly becomes the paper of many pieces.

Correct. We get a big ol' honking piece of paper, and to make it even more fragile, note that it's printed on recycled paper.

1znllis.jpg

Wow does that suck or what , I live in Mass and am used to being screwed , thanks New Hampshire .

I find it extremely odd that NH clings to such an anachronism for its residents but gives non-residents a proper, durable, plastic card.

I have no problem with it. It keeps costs down.

Your plastic license used to cost $20 and I seriously doubt it cost that much to make out of plastic rather than paper.

That is until your state decided that everyone else should become a cash cow and raised the price fivefold.

Your plastic license used to cost $20 and I seriously doubt it cost that much to make out of plastic rather than paper.

That is until your state decided that everyone else should become a cash cow and raised the price fivefold.

You're right. My state sucks.

And think of it this way: who would complain about a jump in the fee for non-resident Pistol Licenses? That's right: Non-residents, who neither vote nor have Representatives in the state. They are the perfect "patsies" for money-grubbing lawmakers.

Yes, the resident's license is more like a receipt than a wallet "license" - that's because it's issued town by town without a central database. There's no requirement to have it on you, and any officer stopping someone where a license question comes up is going to call it into the resident's town's police to verify anyway. A fancy card is of zero utility.

I suppose if you never pull it out and open it, you're fine. Try opening and closing it a few times (like, for say, FTF gun buys or to certify for a course), and it rapidly becomes the paper of many pieces.

That hasn't been my experience.

I find it extremely odd that NH clings to such an anachronism for its residents but gives non-residents a proper, durable, plastic card.

Not an anachronism. Its done on purpose to place impediments on centralizing licensing for residents. I dispute your description of a plastic card as "proper," and don't think that making it any more "durable" would be a good idea.

Strictly speaking, and just looking out for the best interests of residents, NH shouldn't issue a non-resident license at all. This would encourage non-residents who want to carry here to do the work to get NH's license recognized in their respective states.

However, the non-residents have a powerful voice in the NH legislature, so the non-resident license not only exists, but the costs to run the program have long been subsidized by NH residents. The fee was only recently raised when the state budget shortfall became so great that this inequity could no longer be ignored.

However, the non-residents have a powerful voice in the NH legislature, so the non-resident license not only exists, but the costs to run the program have long been subsidized by NH residents. The fee was only recently raised when the state budget shortfall became so great that this inequity could no longer be ignored.
Explain the evidence underlying this rather strange conclusion. How do non-residents have a "powerful voice in the NH legislature?" Who is this "powerful voice?"

I'm pretty sure your not even required to keep it on your person.... LE can look it you up pretty quick if you have your DL on you.

What does your DL have to do with a pistol License? Nothing! They are in no way, shape or form linked.

I have to agree with Racenet here.

As far as I understand it, you are not legally required to have it on your person but I suggest you at least have a copy. There is NO centralised database in NH, for Resident Pistol/Revolver Licenses anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if there is for Non-Res though, since it is handled by the State Police. For residents, the issuing PD keeps a copy on file, but I wouldn't go wandering around NH (with a concealed firearm) without some proof that you are properly licensed on your person.

If you are believed to be carrying without a license and the officer in question can't get in touch with your home PD, you're very likely to be detained and unarmed until you are proven to be licensed. It's "only" a misdemeanor the first time, but a felony the second and subsequent offences. I bet you are treated like you'll be facing felony charges until they know better. Food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom