Red-Dot Sights

Mil-Dot

Instructor
NES Member
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the forum and have a couple of questions about sights for bullseye pistol competition. I have been involved in High Power Rifle Matches but am now interested in getting involved in pistol competitions (non-action). I just purchased a Walther GSP Expert 22LR and I am looking for a good Red-Dot sight. I think I found one, The Doctor. Anyone use this sight? Also, there are many MOA options (3-7). What do you recommend? And finally, I noticed that these sights have a 1.07x magnification. Is this allowed for NRA competitions?
Thanks for your time,
Mil-Dot (MIKE) [grin]

Mike,
The Doctor is allowed. I'm not sure of current availability. One thing with the Doctor, the battery is installed from the bottom, you need to rezero the scope after replacing batteries.There is a new importer of them.
Most bullseye shooters use a tube type of red dot. I personally like a 5-6 moa dot. It's easier for me to align the larger dot in relation to the black. A small dot does not mean you'll shoot smaller groups.

Ultra Dots are quite popular. Since my stuff has been around a while, I have Tasco, and Luepold Gilmore. Most of them are probably made in the same factory in China. Should you get one that has multiple reticles, or multiple dot sizes, rezeroing may be necessary when changing the size.

I use and Ultradot Matchdot. Highly recommend it. The dot is very clear and doesn't blur. And it can handle lots of recoil and hold zero. Great site. Worth the $$.

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the forum and have a couple of questions about sights for bullseye pistol competition. I have been involved in High Power Rifle Matches but am now interested in getting involved in pistol competitions (non-action). I just purchased a Walther GSP Expert 22LR and I am looking for a good Red-Dot sight. I think I found one, The Doctor. Anyone use this sight? Also, there are many MOA options (3-7). What do you recommend? And finally, I noticed that these sights have a 1.07x magnification. Is this allowed for NRA competitions?
Thanks for your time,
Mil-Dot (MIKE) [grin]

I would avoid the Docter sight. They have gone through several distributors and their current customer service isn't all that great. I returned a sight for repair and it cost me $105. The current distributor wouldn't do warrantee work on sights sold by his predecessor. The repair was flawed to say the least, but the distributor claims it is OK (the entire glass is red rather than just the dot). I would go with a product with a better reputation.

I also would avoid the Doctor type sights, adjustments are very difficult for zero. The Ultra Dots come in a number of models in both 30mm and 1 inch tubes. Some have multiple dot sized. All come with a lifetime warranty. Greg

I have had good luck with the J Point sight. Zero is a little tricky, but once set the sight works fine.

Hi Mil-Dot-

I have several C-More red dots that I use for various compeition shooting events. I have some mounted on my rifles and some on my revolvers. I really like them.

A word on dots and other sight shapes. I bought a sight that offers a dot, crosshairs, or a circle with a dot in the center. I found that I preferred the dot to all of the others and realized that this sort of sight was a waste of money for me. I would much prefer to have several dot sizes rather than completely different sights.

Another vote for UltraDot Match Dot. I have 6 of them on different Bullseye pistols, and they've been totally trouble-free, including the one that gets slammed around on the slide of my .45. And if it ever does break down, they've got a lifetime guarantee. I like to use the 2-minute dot for the slow fire stage and the 4-minute dot for the sustained fire. Best source is mail-order from Larry's Guns in Maine.

The Burris Fastfire,Docter type,seems to be verry good..Have Tasco Optimas,long out of production,J-Points,Docters and the Burris all in use now..The Burris is the latest and seems to hold up well,so far..Have it on a 38super firing mild loadings and I like it..Price is right also seems to me..Mounts are good also and easy to install..

I have a Dokter sight that I used to have on my gun. It's a 3 min. dot.
I took it off. The Dokter is one of the only sights that fits on my gun. It's very light and the mount doesn't need to be re-zeroed. The problem is as Mr. Derr has noted. It's a pain to adjust. Tiny screws and a goofy dial that the screwdriver fits into. The brightness adjusts automatically, which is stupid. The open type sights can get gunk on the lens from the ammo, causing an annoyance. Strangely, I never had to adjust it for 50 yards from 50 feet. Whereas with iron sights I have to move the rear sight down 4 clicks for 50 yards, the dot didn't need adjustment.
It was probably my deficiency of training that caused me to believe the dot didn't need adjusting.
The one nice thing about the sight is that it shuts off automatically when you put it in your gun box.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom