Red Dot scope eye relief?

A friend gave me a Leapers Red Dot scope, I know these are lower end scopes and one thing that I notice about it is the greater my eye relief the larger the dot becomes. Is this common with all red dots or do higher end ones not do this?

I have an old UltraDot red dot sight and I have never noticed the dot size change due to eye relief. In general, I don't think the dot size should change.

Not implying anything about your age (as I've not yet met you... only your wife [grin] ), but is it possible that you're using the near vision of bifocals to view the dot?

.... I discovered that one lens of my glasses was not ground properly when I got my first red dot, and the dot was fuzzy... until I used my non-dominant eye to view it!

Not implying anything about your age (as I've not yet met you... only your wife [grin] ), but is it possible that you're using the near vision of bifocals to view the dot?

.... I discovered that one lens of my glasses was not ground properly when I got my first red dot, and the dot was fuzzy... until I used my non-dominant eye to view it!
That sort of advice can't be said enough with red dots. A "fuzzy" or "distorted" red dot thread comes up regularly on almost every firearms forum.

It's really important to note that most (all?) red dot and holo sights have the dot focus pretty much at infinity. Meaning, if you are at all near-sighted, it's not going to look right until you have well-adjusted vision correction on.

Well it is definitely not my bi-focals...[smile]

The scope is not mounted yet and while looking through it again I realized that for whatever reason I am closing my right eye and using my left...I never do this while shooting and am not sure why I am now. I guess I will wait till the rail comes in and see how it is once I mount it.

A friend gave me a Leapers Red Dot scope, I know these are lower end scopes and one thing that I notice about it is the greater my eye relief the larger the dot becomes. Is this common with all red dots or do higher end ones not do this?

The quality ones (Aimpoint) do not do that.

Back
Top Bottom