Recommended round for Gold Cup?

chrbla2000

NES Member
I just picked up a new Colt Gold Cup, my father mentioned that his when he bought it (20 ish years ago) came with different springs for for either regular ball ammo or Semi Wad-Cutter target loads.

Well, mine did not come with different springs and the manual wasn't much help (unless I missed it). So, regular 230 grain FMJ or 185 grain Semi Wad-Cutter target loads?

Thanks,

-chris

185SWC are going to be a pain in the ass to source unless you're loading them yourself, but I suspect if you were, you'd not likely be asking this.

If it's a new gold cup it's probably sprung for 230 gr FMJ full power loads (800-860 FPS) because that's 98% of the .45 loads on the commercial market.

-Mike

185SWC are going to be a pain in the ass to source unless you're loading them yourself, but I suspect if you were, you'd not likely be asking this.

If it's a new gold cup it's probably sprung for 230 gr FMJ full power loads (800-860 FPS) because that's 98% of the .45 loads on the commercial market.

-Mike
I only know one guy that shoots 45acp swc.....he shoots a gold cup colt for steel plate matches.....he loads his own and says the pistol has only ever been fed hand loaded swc.

I have shot a lot of Bullseye NMC and made DE way back when my eyes were good using 185 grain SWC and 3.8g bullseye. As I recall this was just under 800 FPS and kept recoil down and no issues with cycling (using a 16 lb spring)...

It really depends on what your shooting, if your serious about target and paper punching go with my load above. If your looking for center of mass type of accuracy and reliability without modifications, then 230g hardball all day long...Simple as using a screwdriver if it has a slot, a hammer if it doesn't... or as some say, always use a hammer, the slots are for taking it out........

Nice gun. Definitely start with the 230 RN. If the brass isn't flying 15 feet away or just barely dribbling out don't worry about the spring rates until you are looking to change a specific characteristic.

Back
Top Bottom