Reciprocity Question

salesman

NES Member
Hi all: I hate to muddy the waters with the legal stuff, and I'm sure this has been covered. BUT.......I got this off the New Hampshire State Police website. Am I reading this wrong? I thought the NH permit non-res was good in all these states. This seems to be saying that it is good for NH only.

I just got my NH non-res and want to make sure I've got thing straight.

Reciprocity: The State of New Hampshire has reciprocity agreements with the following states:

Alabama, Michigan, Alaska, Missouri, Arizona, Mississippi, Arkansas, North Carolina, Colorado, North Dakota, Florida, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Idaho,Tennessee,Indiana,Utah, Kentucky, Wyoming, Louisiana

PLEASE NOTE : The State of New Hampshire will only recognize resident concealed handgun licenses from these states. Concealed handgun licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are ONLY valid within the State of New Hampshire.

Last edited:
It seems that, although some states would be willing to honor the NH non-res permit, NH specifically says that their non-res permit isn't valid anywhere else. I think that means that the NH non-resident permit is only useful for carrying in NH.

Check out the Florida non-resident permit if you're interested in increasing the number of states where you can carry.

Roxbury

Probably found the bullet waiting for the bus after last nights drive by!

PLEASE NOTE : The State of New Hampshire will only recognize resident concealed handgun licenses from these states. Concealed handgun licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are ONLY valid within the State of New Hampshire.
This line is from the NH State Police web site. It is neither accurate nor logical. New Hampshire cannot dictate what other states will or will not accept. Some states explicitly say they do not accept non-resident permits (CO), some are silent but appear to accept (ID: 18-3302(12)(g), IN), and some explicitly state that they do accept non-resident permits (PA).

While www.handgunlaw.us is a pretty good site I'd still suggest doing your own specific investigation if you intend to carry in another state on a non-resident permit.

I live in MA and have a LTC-A no restrictions.

If I get a non-res CCW permit from PA, would that allow me to carry in NH?

Or, would I have to be a resident in PA with a CCW permit from PA to carry in NH?

I live in MA and have a LTC-A no restrictions.

If I get a non-res CCW permit from PA, would that allow me to carry in NH?

Or, would I have to be a resident in PA with a CCW permit from PA to carry in NH?

NH only honors permits from the holders state of residence.
If you live in MA, PA does you no good.
If you want to carry concealed in NH, you need NH non-resident permit. It's only $20 for 4+ years and shall issue. Get one.

Florida reciprocates with NH for residents only.

Florida does not reciprocate with MA, and if you have a NH Non Res permit it doesn't allow you to CCW in florida

Personally I wouldn't want to be caught in East Jerkwater USA with an out of state CCW and hope Officer Friendly knows the finer points of reciprocity. Best to get a Non Res permit for anyplace you plan on going on a regular basis IMHO

Back
Top Bottom