• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rec. for keeping guns safe in apartments?

While I recently moved out of my parents place where I have 2 safes bolted to the ground. But now that I moved to an apartment does anybody have any ideas on the best way of keeping the guns safe and locked up? Im afraid to start drilling in the floor because its hardwood floors and I eventually want my deposit back.

I need something that will lock up 1 handgun and 5 rifles and about 4k rounds of .223 and .40.

Thanks in advance. Id really like to take this with me instead of keeping them at my parents (although my dad does have it LTC)

If you want them locked up per MA law, the safe or other locked container does not need to be secured to the floor or walls. In this case, a Stack-On safe, or even the type of case you'd carry the rifles to the rang in is sufficient. If you're looking for protection from theft/fire, then a heavier safe would be needed, preferably bolted into the floor. Remember to get your landlord's permission before drilling any holes in the floor.

I'd recommend just drilling them into the floor of a closet especially if it's carpeted. If you use lag screws you can ratchet the screw into the ground and keep it quiet. Even if you just use a couple of screws it'd do. Sure a Stack-On is ok to have but 2 guys can easily carry off a stack-on that isnt bolted down.

If the safe will permit it, forget about the floor; lag the back of the safe to the studs in the wall. When you're ready to leave, just take out the screws, patch and paint.

Ken

This will sound odd, but when I was an apartment dweller, I had a light stack-on type safe, (Homak I seem to remember). I JB Welded utility knife blades along the rear rim of the safe - just a twinge above the edge in the post likely places people would try to wrench it from the wall and/or carry it. No one ever tried to steal my safe, but would have likely paid dearly had they...

This will sound odd, but when I was an apartment dweller, I had a light stack-on type safe, (Homak I seem to remember). I JB Welded utility knife blades along the rear rim of the safe - just a twinge above the edge in the post likely places people would try to wrench it from the wall and/or carry it. No one ever tried to steal my safe, but would have likely paid dearly had they...

Wow. That is one step below sharks with frickin lasers on their heads.

Please do not do this. As funny as it is, I know a guy who knows a guy who lost a very expensive lawsuit when a robber cut himself on a similar setup.

For what it's worth of course. The guy who knows a guy who knows a guy is totally a great source of legal advice. [smile]

Wow. That is one step below sharks with frickin lasers on their heads.

After I was done, all I could think of was: "diabolical" .... [wink]

I lived in a high crime neighborhood in Pittsfield and after two break-ins, neither of which found my gun safe, I rigged my windows when I wasn't home as well. Someone must have sensed it, or spotted the 2x4's full of nails on the floor at the base of the window, but I never got broken into again...

Please do not do this. As funny as it is, I know a guy who knows a guy who lost a very expensive lawsuit when a robber cut himself on a similar setup.

For what it's worth of course. The guy who knows a guy who knows a guy is totally a great source of legal advice. [smile]

The sad part is, I can totally see this happening, but in my case, I have little worth suing for and my property and safety means more to me than a lawsuit from a scumbag....

someone suggested to me that i build a wooden frame the exact same size as the floor of my closet and just bolt the safe to that...

oh and by the way
I rigged my windows when I wasn't home as well. Someone must have sensed it, or spotted the 2x4's full of nails on the floor at the base of the window, but I never got broken into again...

that's just as bad ass as your razor blade idea

This.....priceless![rofl]

I've done the same only with tiny "brad" nails under the lip of the drawers of my toolbox. The dealership I worked at some time ago had great employees, but a less-than-honest cleaning crew. Put it this way: It was really easy to find the thief the next day. Just look for "Mr. Band-aids on the fingers"[smile]

Well, if it were me and I was afraid to drill into the apartment in any way, I would get some heavy steel plates and put them in the bottom of the 2 safes. Maybe add 200 lbs of steel to each one.

I would then bolt the two safes together so it is impossible to use a wheel truck to cart them thru the door. Make sure you use bolts with hardened steel. If I had the space in the closet, I would bolt them together side to side in there--that way they can not easily tip them down onto their backs and use pry bars on the doors.

That is going to deter most theifs just due to the time required to open them up and get at the contents.

A friend of mine did this to his car radio after it was repeatedly robbed. It was an older car where you could reach under the dash and pull out the radio by grabbing the back. He removed the back screws and screwed in razor blades....put a smile on his face upon seeing the bloodtrail one morning...

I do agree, though, that boobytrapping can get you in trouble. I would bolt down the safe like others have suggested, and fix any holes/damage yourself before you move. Also, get an alarm system that makes a lot of noise...if you have the money, pay for a security service that will alert the police.

If you live in an apartment complex, I would go with the bolting to the wall studs Idea, easier to clean up after & just as secure.. You could also put the devices on it that sound a high pitched siren sound when the connection gets broken between the magnets or wire.... Some people put on windows, doors and or cabinets... I think you can buy them at Home Depot....

Wally worlds usually have end of hunting season sales on decent 8-10 firearm safes @100ish that are combo and heavy. The weight of the firearms as well as the ammo make it near impossiable to steal imo

When we sold the house and the wife and sons moved south I had to deal with this as I went into an apt till the new job opens in Nov.
I decided to move all long guns out to my brother in PA, and at least they can now be "De-Ma**h***d" and iven back their collapsible stocks, flash hiders and bayo lugs.
I kept only a few handguns and I use an old bank tellers station safe I picked up years ago. Moving it took three people and an industrial weight hand truck but it just fits in a closet.

Back
Top Bottom