Reasons for application

EPN

NES Member
Ive been searching for a while and cant seem to find a thread about this, even though I remember seeing one.

I turn 21 tomorrow and am going to apply for my class A on Monday. I live in Massachusetts and on the application it asks for reasons why im applying. What are some suggestions as to what i should put as my answer.

I'm also leaning towards a S&W 642 as my first handgun (not my first time shooting just first one ill own) any suggestions there as well, i want something that can be CC without feeling like i have a brick attached to me.

Thanks, Eric

Ive been searching for a while and cant seem to find a thread about this, even though I remember seeing one.

I turn 21 tomorrow and am going to apply for my class A on Monday. I live in Massachusetts and on the application it asks for reasons why im applying. What are some suggestions as to what i should put as my answer.

I'm also leaning towards a S&W 642 as my first handgun (not my first time shooting just first one ill own) any suggestions there as well, i want something that can be CC without feeling like i have a brick attached to me.

Thanks, Eric

"All lawful purposes" should do.

"All Lawful Purposes"

Anything else and you are agreeing to restrictions they WILL place on you.

Grafton is 'green"

and you should be too hint hint

Last edited:
Grafton is a "Green" town, so "All Lawful Purposes" should do the trick.

When I applied, the Officer that handed me the application told me to list ALP because that is what the Chief will issue unless he has a reason not to. And so it was.

Good luck with your application and try not to let the wait drive you crazy. [smile]

I was instructed to write in actual reasons and to give as much detail as you can when answering this question. But keep the reasoning LEGAL and APPLICABLE. i.e.:
I desire to have the ability to carry a firearm for personal protection
I regularly visit high crime areas (name the area)
I am a law abiding citizen who lives in a high crime area
I regularly hike in remote areas
I am a business owner
I make deposits of large sums of money
I have been a victim of crime and have attached a copy of the police report
I am handicapped and desire to possess a firearm for personal protection
I have taken or will take additional training on the legal use of force
I have taken or will take additional classes to increase my skills in the responsible use of firearms

Reasons that are not legal:
The parking lot of my college is very dark or my campus is a high crime area
I want to carry a firearm for protection when I vote at my local polling station located at the local middle school
I am concerned for my safety when I leave my local drinking establishment. I believe I am more vulnerable after a few drinks

Reasons that are not applicable:
I want to shoot firearms at the range
I want to keep a firearm in my home
I shoot competitively
I want to collect firearms
I want to purchase a rifle or shotgun

Remember, don't ask for restrictions.

Last edited:
I was instructed same and did so in rehoboth, spending much time and worry. On "the day", Chief's secretary said "looks good but just change it to ALP", that's all we want to hear. Ront
I was instructed to write in actual reasons and to give as much detail as you can when answering this question. But keep the reasoning LEGAL and APPLICABLE. i.e.:
I am a law abiding citizen who loves in a high crime area
I am a business owner
I have taken or will take additional classes to increase my skills in the responsible use of firearms

I want to carry a firearm for protection when I vote at my local polling station located at the local middle school
I am concerned for my safety when I leave my local drinking establishment. I believe I am more vulnerable after a few drinks

I shoot competitively

I'm in Douglas green town and put all lawful purposes. 2 weeks into my wait and my fingers hurt from keeping them crossed this long. Good luck.

Strangely enough... even after putting very detailed reasons down... the printout that he had me sign after processing the application said "All Lawful Purposes" so it can depend on the town.

I am a law abiding citizen who loves in a high crime area
I am a business owner

I shoot competitively

MFS?

"I'm batman"

"zombies"

Sent from my iPhone in the secret lair of the Supreme ruler of the ozone layer, the Dark Lord Kramdar.

I live in Malden, I put self defense, so i would not get a restriction... The lady didn't even look at it when she did my paper work on the computer, she just put "All lawful purposes" so I'm assuming that is the best answer.

My wife is applying for her LTC (finally). The application asks for reasons for issuance and has language that says All Lawful Purposes won't be acceptable. Not sure if this is older language on an application form that can be ignored, if recent legal challenges have changed anything, or what. I told her to just put ALP on the app, but she is a "rule follower" and doesn't want to get rejected or delayed.

What should I tell her to put on the application? She wants to be able to carry unrestricted. Lives in what I thought was a green town. Works in a mill town with high crime.

1694705945097.png

How about this?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Last edited:
I told her to check Unrestricted and just put "All Lawful Purposes" for the reason, but she won't listen to me. I told her I would post on NES and ask the question. I guess I could tell her to list "self-defense/concealed carry due to where she works/commutes" as well as .

Just sent my renewal paper work in. I hope 6 months is enough time to renew non res LTC.
Reason I put "Renewal of non-restricted LTC for all lawful purposes"
I hope they give it to you based on ALP. I had a non resident for years and I do recall on one occasion they gave it back to me and asked me to state specific reasons why

My wife is applying for her LTC (finally). The application asks for reasons for issuance and has language that says All Lawful Purposes won't be acceptable. Not sure if this is older language on an application form that can be ignored, if recent legal challenges have changed anything, or what. I told her to just put ALP on the app, but she is a "rule follower" and doesn't want to get rejected or delayed.

What should I tell her to put on the application? She wants to be able to carry unrestricted. Lives in what I thought was a green town. Works in a mill town with high crime.
Just put self-defense if she doesn't want to play games with ALP. No need to complicate things.

Back
Top Bottom