Reasonable priced Handgun and ammo for beginner

Hi guys,
I just got my LTC-A license and ready for purchase my first handgun. Can you please help me with a good reasonable priced handgun and ammo for beginners?

Thank you.

There will be a dozen folks that say " buy a 22. Ammo is cheap and you will practice more" and there is merit to this, but, I think you should consider a decent all around center fire pistol. The biggest reason being that heaven forbid, you actually need a firearm for self defense, a 22 is not the best caliber.

The Shield in 9mm is a solid choice, but don't be afraid to buy a quality used handgun. I like Sig and you can't go wrong with a Glock. I don't like Glocks trigger and grip angle, but you can't argue that a Gen 3 Glock 19 is possibly the best all around handgun ever made. 9mm is the most affordable center fire ammo with the most choices in bullet weight and performance.
When searching NES about the subject you will find that the recurring advice is shoot a bunch of guns and see what you like. It is like buying blue jeans. Some like Levi's, some Lee, some Wrangler.
You really need to see what feels best in your hand and you shoot the best.
There are a few places that you can rent popular guns for short money. Another thing that makes the Glock such a sound choice is that if you decide to get rid of it, you will likely be able to sell it for what you paid for it, assuming you are in Massachusetts.
Whatever you choose, shoot often and safe. Get a decent center fire, then buy a 22 when you can. Also, a few lessons with a decent instructor is worth more than you can imagine.

Oh... and if someone gives you a Ruger for free, sell that piece of shit and use the money to buy ammo.

I second the 9mm Shield, it's easy to conceal and fun to shoot. Also easy on the wallet.

Agreed, Shield 9mm.
However you should install the Apex Tactical kit to fix the Massified trigger if it's the MA model.

S&W SD9VE sort of a Glock 19 clone also inexpensive, ok but it's not the glock.

The S&W SD9 is another inexpensive option. I just sold one I've owned for 5+ years, I fired thousands of rounds of every kind of ammo out of it and have not had one failure of any kind. The trigger is lousy but you could fix that with an APEX trigger kit. I just saw one used for $165 bucks. How much cheaper can you get a reliable pistol for in this state ?

Guns are like cars, there are different makes and models to suit different people's tastes. People giving you advice here are basing it upon their experience and preferences.

I personally like Glocks. My wife hates Glocks, she shoots Sigs. I like her Sigs. So, do I tell you to buy a Sig or a Glock?

Neither - I tell you to go to a range and handle as many different firearms as you can until you find the one that you like.

That being said, you've gotten some very good advice already in the previous comments. 22's are fun, I have a bunch of them, and they've certainly killed a lot of people, but they're really not the ideal self defense weapon. I love shooting my revolvers, but 6, 7, even 8 rounds is kind of limiting for self-defense also, and a flat semi-auto is more concealable.

So, if you're planning on carrying concealed, look at compact to sub-compact 9mm semi-autos. Shoot as many of them as you can find, until you find one that fits your hand well and that you can shoot reasonably well to start with. Buy it, buy ammo, go take some classes. Have fun. Then go buy another gun...

There will be a dozen folks that say " buy a 22. Ammo is cheap and you will practice more" and there is merit to this, but, I think you should consider a decent all around center fire pistol. The biggest reason being that heaven forbid, you actually need a firearm for self defense, a 22 is not the best caliber.

The Shield in 9mm is a solid choice, but don't be afraid to buy a quality used handgun. I like Sig and you can't go wrong with a Glock. I don't like Glocks trigger and grip angle, but you can't argue that a Gen 3 Glock 19 is possibly the best all around handgun ever made. 9mm is the most affordable center fire ammo with the most choices in bullet weight and performance.
When searching NES about the subject you will find that the recurring advice is shoot a bunch of guns and see what you like. It is like buying blue jeans. Some like Levi's, some Lee, some Wrangler.
You really need to see what feels best in your hand and you shoot the best.
There are a few places that you can rent popular guns for short money. Another thing that makes the Glock such a sound choice is that if you decide to get rid of it, you will likely be able to sell it for what you paid for it, assuming you are in Massachusetts.
Whatever you choose, shoot often and safe. Get a decent center fire, then buy a 22 when you can. Also, a few lessons with a decent instructor is worth more than you can imagine.

Oh... and if someone gives you a Ruger for free, sell that piece of shit and use the money to buy ammo.
Thank you for the advise I will look into trying them about to make sure I'm comfortable with it before purchasing.

The S&W SD9 is another inexpensive option. I just sold one I've owned for 5+ years, I fired thousands of rounds of every kind of ammo out of it and have not had one failure of any kind. The trigger is lousy but you could fix that with an APEX trigger kit. I just saw one used for $165 bucks. How much cheaper can you get a reliable pistol for in this state ?
That's really cheap for used

If you wind up with a 9mm purchase a metric sh-t ton of ammo while times are good and it's still plentiful on the shelves.
Can't emphasize that enough. When I first got into shooting, my idea of what was "a lot" of ammo was very different from what it is now. Take it from someone who would go weeks at a time without getting their hands on calibers like 9mm or 223 and when it was available it was at outrageous prices. Budget some amount each week for ammo purchases and buy more than you shoot. Ideally buy a case every month or every other month and put it away. Its cheap and available now but it won't always be that way.

If you're not looking for a carry gun, then consider a g21, .45 acp. The g41 is nice also, but priced higher.

The grip may be big, but every "not a shooter" that I have shot with liked the .45 recoil better than the 9mm.

Last edited:
The s and w m and p 9mm range kits are a good value. Also what others have said.....9mm is about the best economical centerfire ammo your going to find.

Also once you have the gun don't get all crazy in upgrading the gun with other shit. Just spend your money on ammo.....lots and lots of ammo ao you can practice. Actually shooting the stock gun and practicing with it will get your accuracy up better than any "upgrade" you'll spend money on. I've seen many newer shooters show up to my practice plate shoot sessions with a handgun with hundreds of dollars in upgrades in addition to $1k in open class holsters and mag holders and the dude can't hit a bull in the ass with a snow shovel. When you are new..... Just buy ammo and practice. You'll get better.....and faster......and you'll know when the upgrades are worth it. In short......you can't just buy proficiency. Practice.

Last edited:
1st and 2nd gen SW semi autos are nice. My 4013 has been hands down (other than 40cal) my best "do all" pistol.
Best range pistol i have is a SW model 4 1.
I would keep saving. Also you might want to take a class or 2 at a indoor range that has a large selection of pistols to try.

Dont get stuck on the small pistol carry trend. You want a pistol that you can manipulate with ease. I have short fat fingers and i like a fatter grip. When i draw those small thin pistols they tend to cock to the right (left hand shooter) in my hand. The fat double stack 4013 grip does not allow my fingers to over grip it . Alot of this can be avoided these days with more rentals and decent instructors around today vs 30 years ago.

The s and w m and p 9mm range kits are a good value. Also what others have said.....9mm is about the best economical centerfire ammo your going to find.

Also once you have the gun don't get all crazy in upgrading the gun with other shit. Just spend your money on ammo.....lots and lots of ammo ao you can practice. Actually shooting the stock gun and practicing with it will get your accuracy up better than any "upgrade" you'll spend money on. I've seen many newer shooters show up to my practice plate shoot sessions with a handgun with hundreds of dollars in upgrades in addition to $1k in open class holsters and mag holders and the dude can't hit a bull in the ass with a snow shovel. When you are new..... Just buy ammo and practice. You'll get better.....and faster......and you'll know when the upgrades are worth it. In short......you can't just buy proficiency. Practice.
I agree, more practice more ammo

I would have love to get one but was told it's Illegal in the state of MA

Though Glock's are excellent pistols here in Massachusetts new Glock's are hard to come by and the prices are outrageously high. The same is true with used Glock's, $500 + bucks for a 25 year old pistol, no thank you ! There are far too many reasonably priced new pistols out there to pay that kind of cash. Hey ! If you have the extra cash then buy a new quality pistol, like an H&K or Sig.

Back
Top Bottom