• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reasonable Physical force to Stop or prevent unlawful Trespass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcmdon

NES Member
Hi all,

As someone who lived in CT for 45 years, I've got a good grasp of CT laws. But having moved to MA I'm constantly finding situations where I don't know the MA law.

CT allows you to use reasonable physical force to prevent or end a criminal trespass event.

Does MA have any similar law?

Thanks in advance.

Don

p.s. Please, no speculation. If you are going to answer, then please bring a citation.

p.p.s. Text of relevant CT General Statute.

a person in possession or control of premises, or a person who is licensed or privileged to be in or upon such premises, is justified in using reasonable physical force upon another person when and to the extent that (he/she) reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of a criminal trespass by such other person in or upon such premises.

My understanding is that you want to keep a throw-down chicken on hand and hope that the trespasser is an animal and not a human.

MA Jury Instructions:

https://www.mass.gov/doc/9260-self-defense-defense-of-another-defense-of-property/download
III. DEFENSE OF PROPERTY A person may use reasonable force, but not deadly force, to defend his lawful property against someone who has no right to it. A person may also use reasonable force, but not deadly force, to regain lawful possession of his property where his (her) possession has been momentarily interrupted by someone with no right to the property. Finally, a person may also use reasonable force, but not deadly force, to remove a trespasser from his property after the trespasser has been requested to leave and has refused to do so.

See also: Commonwealth v. Haddock, 46 Mass. App. Ct. 246, 704 N.E.2d 537 (1999)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom