• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rear Sling Mount Options for AK-47 Type Rifle

I bought this rifle recently and it did not come with a rear sling mount installed, so I'm looking for help figuring out my options and the best choice. This is probably a super basic issue for most of you out there, but I'm still quite new to guns, and I have no idea how to do this right or the implications of the various possible locations for the mount.

I managed to get some good pics of this rifle recently so I thought I'd share.

100_1589.jpg 100_1590.jpg

100_1593.jpg 100_1592.jpg

By the way, this is a Serbian Zastava PAP M70.

Thanks in advance for your input.

G

sling loops and brackets can be found online
Tapco_AK-47_Original_Style_Buttstock_DARK_EARTH.jpg

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=306889931

there are many options just do google image search "AK buttstock"

what part of this specifically concerns you?

Last edited:
I've seen the rear sling mount at the end of the stock, near the receiver end of the stock, on the receiver and between the grip and receiver. I just don't know why I would choose one over the others.

the m70 had a loop attached to a slot in the left hand side of the rear receiver, held in place by a bent and pressed piece of sheet metal that was expanded inside of the receiver.

634683765321830001ud51lcup.jpg

You could cut a slot and get creative yourself if you wanted to recreate this. Or get a screw mount loop and put it on the rear stock somewhere.

K-var sells the loops, but they cost a pretty penny ($10) and shipping will suck too ($15 minimum, usually.... a lot for a frickin sling sivel/loop)

http://www.k-var.com/shop/Slings-Swivels-Sling-Rings-Sling-Loops/

I like your AK better than mine (im working an getting another so I am not too jealous), looks like we need to stretch her legs soon!

near the end of the receiver is generally on sidefolders
near the end of the buttstock is traditional position for a fixed stock
between the grip and receiver is for single point tactical sling

i've seen sling loops attached to fixed stocks near the receiver end. IFAIK it is generally better combination for armies where rifle is carried on the patrol in the front, across the chest. instead of over the shoulder and on the back when on the march. I was told that such arrangement made possible instant transition to a firing stance without taking the strap off and re-positioning it.

whichever way you choose is your preference, but if sling is just for carrying it to and from the car and around the range then i suggest traditional - near the end of the buttstock
that's my $0.02

Last edited:
there is nothing wrong with your AK. it is a sexy beast with the crap all over it.

Haha you do know I wrote that specifically to get a rise out of you... I knew you would be into this thread LOL
Plus who can butcher an AK better then me.... I felt Gastrok calling for my AK expertise.

Alright, I'm going to mount the sling loop on the underside of the stock towards the end and put a leather sling on it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom