Reality check.

Jose has a good point. Sometimes I think there is too much info on this forum. If a guy with an LTC is worried about defending himself or his dog from a pit bull attack, to the point of possibly putting hiimself in danger, that should be a wake up call for all of us. This thread is titled 'Reality Check' and as the thread wears on I think it's an extremely appropriate title on 2 fronts. First, it points out the trouble that can arise when we forget our CCW or choose not to take it along. Second it shows that maybe we all worry a little too much. If you cant shoot a Pit Bull while it's in the act of attacking you and/or your dog then why carry at all? Is your dog considered 'live stock'? Who cares? It was under attack. Will the dog's owner fabricate a story? Who cares? The Pit Bull was off leash.

ETA How does the incident in Manchester have anything to do with a dog attack?

What if it was a Golden Retriever attacking my bulldog? Can I still shoot the GR to protect myself and my dog?

Second it shows that maybe we all worry a little too much. If you cant shoot a Pit Bull while it's in the act of attacking you and/or your dog then why carry at all? Is your dog considered 'live stock'? Who cares? It was under attack. Will the dog's owner fabricate a story? Who cares? The Pit Bull was off leash.

ETA How does the incident in Manchester have anything to do with a dog attack?

To me the issue is not that we worry too much but whether it is really necessary to worry so much.

My work involves being a professional pessimist so I'm inclined to notice the down side (what could happen - not what is likely to happen). I suppose that biases me.

I find enough data points (MBTS being one of them) where the state or its agents acted against the law, common sense, morality, take your pick, to believe it could happen to me just as easily.

GG's big mistake was not realizing the widening gap between he and his wife and that she might turn on him. The guy a few months ago that got in trouble for shooting a dog - his mistake was the extra action of going in to get his shotgun (and allowing an ambulance chaser to move in next door). Big Red? He's not in trouble with the law but only because he's too cautious to do something that *might* make him a target. Several cases in NH recently too. New Boston. The shopkeeper busted for "dealing" guns. Of course the Browns.

Should I worry about things? Maybe yes, maybe no. There is enough "evidence" on each side to support the position.

OC spray might have helped in this situation.

If it doesn't, and you spray the crap out of the dog, and he still attacks you, you could end up covered with OC and open wounds and still having to try to fight of an attacking dog. Something to consider.

To me the issue is not that we worry too much but whether it is really necessary to worry so much.

My work involves being a professional pessimist so I'm inclined to notice the down side (what could happen - not what is likely to happen). I suppose that biases me.

I find enough data points (MBTS being one of them) where the state or its agents acted against the law, common sense, morality, take your pick, to believe it could happen to me just as easily.

GG's big mistake was not realizing the widening gap between he and his wife and that she might turn on him. The guy a few months ago that got in trouble for shooting a dog - his mistake was the extra action of going in to get his shotgun (and allowing an ambulance chaser to move in next door). Big Red? He's not in trouble with the law but only because he's too cautious to do something that *might* make him a target. Several cases in NH recently too. New Boston. The shopkeeper busted for "dealing" guns. Of course the Browns.

Should I worry about things? Maybe yes, maybe no. There is enough "evidence" on each side to support the position.

Understanding what could go wrong is extremely useful. It gives us a chance to prepare and to potentially avoid a bad situation. But if we start putting ourselves in danger because we think that maybe we might possibly have the chance of potentially if we're unlucky of conceivably stumbling into perhaps a long shot of a bad situation then I think we're going a little too far.
Let's suppose that the brakes in my car are sketchy and I'm worried that they might not work the next time I need them. I'm driving down the street and a car stops in front of me. I' m so worried that my brakes won't work I can't bring myself to use them. Crash! Does that make me smart because I avoided the potential failure of my brakes?

We will never know what would or could have happen should the OP have shot the Pitbull. We just can't accurately theorize on a situation that never happened. We can be thankful that he is OK and avoided injury and legal problems. We could argue for days about the probable outcome if he had been carrying and if he had made the decision to use force, but it's not going to change anything or give us any answers that we don't have already.

Just let it be a lesson as to what can happen so you can better prepare yourself for a similar situation so that you may deal with it in whatever way you feel suitable.

If it doesn't, and you spray the crap out of the dog, and he still attacks you, you could end up covered with OC and open wounds and still having to try to fight of an attacking dog. Something to consider.

If you are struggling with a pit bull that is biting you, a little OC in the wounds are the least of your worries.

I don't believe it's a matter of worrying too much to not use whatever weapon we carry, it's the fact that this state is just that nuts that alot of us would go practically bankrupt because we would have to defend ourselves in court, as opposed to in other states where they have the common sense to not prosecute a case so blatantly obvious.

As for me, I'm locked into my job for atleast the next 35 years in MA. I maybe able to convince the lady to move just over the border in NH, but for now my number one concern is KEEPING my LTC because once it's gone.....it's gone for good.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all for people to discuss the potential legalities of this situation. The dog attack probably lasted 30 seconds max. A criminal/civil suit lasts much, much longer.
If a couple of guys here didn't post the law on protection from a dog attack, I may have never looked it up myself. Hadn't thought about it much.

It's important to know the laws regarding self-defense in all their forms, beit dog-walking to Castle Doctrine. It's not being paranoid, it's being prepared.

Actually, sounds like a stick is the weapon of choice. And they're MA compliant.

Not for long. Once the legislature gets wind of the aforementioned assault on a gentle, misunderstood creature, they'll introduce a bill banning all sticks over 10" long and 1" in diameter, and any stick grown after 1998. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Ya right. Try fighting off a pitbull with OC in your eyes and air passageways.

If you used your OC correctly, it wouldn't be in your eyes and air passageways. And if you are wrestling with a pit bull that is contaminated with OC, it still won't get in your lungs and eyes.

Sometimes it really seems like some folks are looking for an excuse to use their firearm.

Not for long. Once the legislature gets wind of the aforementioned assault on a gentle, misunderstood creature, they'll introduce a bill banning all sticks over 10" long and 1" in diameter, and any stick grown after 1998. [rolleyes]

Pessimist.

I don't believe for a second they would backdate such a law to 1998. It would be 2010.

I have a good supply of pre-ban sticks, btw, if anyone is interested. I can provide an accurate ring count and photos of the sticks proving they were grown in-state.

If OC doesn't work to stop an attacking dog, then your next step is to empty the magazine.

To the OP: Good to hear that you and your dog are both ok. Good thinking with the stick, and good work protecting yourself and your friend.

Pessimist.

I don't believe for a second they would backdate such a law to 1998. It would be 2010.

I have a good supply of pre-ban sticks, btw, if anyone is interested. I can provide an accurate ring count and photos of the sticks proving they were grown in-state.

Speaking of sticks, this is hilarious....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sISBcItCBM

I don't bring my dog out in the neighborhood for this very reason.

Instead, I bring out my cat. Here's what would have happened if the victim in the OP's post was me...

"Cat eviscerates dog, dog owner, and a nearby blue whale. News at 11."

Attackcat.JPG

There's a few summer types popping over here and there. No Connecticut crowd yet, thank goodness. Three things that scare me on Nantucket: Anything with 4 wheels and CT plates, the Downyflake parking lot, and the cashiers at Stop & Shop.

This happened on the mean streets of Nantucket? Seems early for summer trash, did you recgnize her?
I dont know why people assume this woman was a tourist. I never said anything about a vehicle. She had no vehicle that I was able to observe and this indicates to me that she has a home or rental somewhere near .
I am glad I did not have to shoot her dog. I dont have any particular bias against pit bulls. The only dogs that have bitten me in the past were a Chow and German Shorthair.
I do not consider every dog that runs towards me barking and looking aggressive to be a threat. I know many dogs can put on a good show and if you speak softly and understand a bit of body language these dogs wont bite and can actually be very friendly in the long run. My dog will do the same occaisionally. I think this behavior is actually a sign of the dog being unsure of a new person or situation and it only takes a few minutes for the dog to figure out there is no threat.
My dog can also be very protective and even though she is getting a bit long in the tooth she wouldnt have backed down to the Pit. I just didnt want her getting hurt.
I dont scare easily. Dogs dont usually scare me. I know dogs and have had them around me all my life. This dog was scary and I doubt this situation will be the last with this dog.

Perhaps you could carry a business card for a (bad) lawyer, give it to the lady when you see her next and point out she will probably need one soon. Or as an alternative, a printout on liability law - how she is responsible if her dog hurts/kills someone/something...

Hi,
i´m the first day here in that Forum and i come from southwest Germany...Two weeks ago a best friend of mine had a little walk with his tibetanian shepherd. Walking through the center of our city Offenburg , A man with two american staffords passed by. One of them snapped the little shepherd and picked his back into pieces....there was no chance to react. And there is no possibility of carrying a weapon - it is not allowed in Germany....

Back
Top Bottom