Reading High School Shelter in place "drill"...possible 4A violation?

I just got this email from my son's school. At first I thought is was just another ALICE drill. They have been doing them in all the schools. They usually lock down the school, have the kids shelter in place and then sweep the school. This time it seems that they are searching lockers and the parking lots with a drug dog as part of the "drill". So what happens if during the drill, they find drugs in someones locker or car?

A message from READING SCHOOL DISTRICT
Good Morning:
We wanted to inform you that at approximately 9:15 a.m., the Reading School Department and the Reading Police Department began a shelter in place drill of Reading Memorial High School. As part of this drill, the Reading Police Department and Reading School Administrators, in cooperation with the Middlesex County Sherriff’s K-9 Unit conducted a search of lockers, random classrooms, and school parking lots. The use of the canines for narcotic searches is consistent with the Reading School Committee Policy JIH on search and seizure.
This activity is only a drill and is not connected to any current police investigation. As part of the drill, the school is currently in a shelter in place phase and is not accessible to the public. It is anticipated that the drill will last less than one hour. At that time, normal classroom activity will resume. The Reading Police Department and the Reading School Department will send out a press release later on today with more details.
This e-mail has been sent to you by READING SCHOOL DISTRICT. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you wish to discontinue this service, please inform READING SCHOOL DISTRICT either IN PERSON, by US MAIL, or by TELEPHONE at 781-944-5800.

The lockers are school property, no expectation of privacy, same goes for the school grounds. I believe there is case law on that.

That also applies to lockers supplied by an employer.

I guess that does make sense.

Why don't they just say it's a drug shakedown? The honesty would be refreshing.

Totally agree.

Besides, they would only catch the really dumb ones anyway. Their telling the kids when it's going to happen. Anyone caught should be neutered because they are too dumb to procreate!

Car in High School? Worried about dings?

This just boggles my mind.

I grew up in a fairly affluent town, yet there was only 1 kid I kinew in high school who had a car worth of worrying about dings; he drove a brand new corvette.

Only in modern day America could so many kids have the wherewithal to have a car, insure it, have the money to drive it daily and also have a car worthy of worrying about getting dings.

Progress is wonderful! Get them indoctrinated on rampant high-ticket consumerism and debt before they get to 18. Enslave them to the credit card companies and banks and insurers and .gov student loans as a way of life; never let them save and invest and be self sufficient for retirement.

While teaching them to knuckle under to authoritay, shelter-in-place and throw desk staplers at active shooters.

yay

I grew up in a fairly affluent town, yet there was only 1 kid I knew in high school who had a car worth of worrying about dings; he drove a brand new corvette.

Only in modern day America could so many kids have the wherewithal to have a car, insure it, have the money to drive it daily and also have a car worthy of worrying about getting dings.

Progress is wonderful! Get them indoctrinated on rampant high-ticket consumerism and debt before they get to 18. Enslave them to the credit card companies and banks and insurers and .gov student loans as a way of life; never let them save and invest and be self sufficient for retirement.

While teaching them to knuckle under to authoritay, shelter-in-place and throw desk staplers at active shooters.

yay

I drove a 1980 VW Rabbit in high school. It was 1988-90 when I could drive to school. I went to private school on the South Shore and there were the following brand new cars in the student lot on a daily basis:
Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Pontiac GTA Turbo Trans Am
BMW M3
Mitsubishi Conquest
Jeep Wrangler
Several Mustang GTs
I really can't imagine giving my son a brand new car to tool around in with his friends.

I grew up in a fairly affluent town, yet there was only 1 kid I kinew in high school who had a car worth of worrying about dings; he drove a brand new corvette.

I parked my "vette" on the street, for free in high school. That helped avoid door dings.

Okay, it was only a Chevette.

They tried searching me once in High School. Pulled the bus up to the front door instead of the usual side, and made us all walk to the cafeteria. People lined up and dumped their backpacks out and were getting TSA style pat downs. Not me, I despise most authority, especially bogus authority. They tried telling me that teachers have the power to search you as they're my official caregivers while I'm in school, as though I belong to the state, and that if I didn't let the teachers search me then they'd call the cops to do it. One teacher even grabbed me by the arm when I tried to leave, I pushed him off of me, yelling NO! DON'T TOUCH ME! I NEED AN ADULT! WHERES MY DAD? loud enough for everyone to hear and next thing I know they're telling me I'm getting expelled for assaulting a teacher. They tried to separate me from the rest of the kids, but I refused to move. It was already too late, about 30 people saw the teacher put his hands on me. Looking back I wish I punched the guy and then claimed sexual assault.

They called my dad, who was ripshit at having to come in. They got the cops in before my dad, and even the douchebag cops tried telling me I had no 4A rights because I was a minor and I was going to be arrested for assault. My dad (ex cop) came in furious, he said that he'd happily let them search me with no probable cause and after being assaulted by a state employee after his lawyer got here, who he had already called, and that the school should expect a lawsuit, and the next person who laid a hand on me would get a 'thorough' beating, looked at the cops, and said 'especially you, scumbags'. I love that man, as tough and fearless as they come, and never afraid to tell someone to their face that they're a scumbag.

I think all I had on me was a pack of cigarettes. They never pulled that shit again.

They can search you, and they can search a backpack if you leave it behind. They'll try to tell you to leave the room and leave your backpack behind, but they can't separate you from it.

Another time I was smoking a cigarette at a urinal and the principal walked in and put his hand on my shoulder, telling me that I was in trouble. Before his fat face could finish his sentence I was yelling DONT TOUCH ME! IM PISSING! I HAVE MY DICK IN MY HAND AND YOURE TOUCHING ME! Remembering the run in he previously had with me he cut his losses and walked away, never mentioning it again.

My voice is my favorite weapon. Sure, the pepper spray, flashlight, firearm, and knife have their places, but nothing gets as much use as what I call my 'death metal voice'. Now I'm older and I dislike being touched even more. If I don't know you and you so much as put a hand on me, even in a friendly way, you'll probably get a response like this, or worse.

Anyone else have this reflexive aversion to being touched by strangers?

They tried searching me once in High School. Pulled the bus up to the front door instead of the usual side, and made us all walk to the cafeteria. People lined up and dumped their backpacks out and were getting TSA style pat downs. Not me, I despise most authority, especially bogus authority. They tried telling me that teachers have the power to search you as they're my official caregivers while I'm in school, as though I belong to the state, and that if I didn't let the teachers search me then they'd call the cops to do it. One teacher even grabbed me by the arm when I tried to leave, I pushed him off of me, yelling NO! DON'T TOUCH ME! I NEED AN ADULT! WHERES MY DAD? loud enough for everyone to hear and next thing I know they're telling me I'm getting expelled for assaulting a teacher. They tried to separate me from the rest of the kids, but I refused to move. It was already too late, about 30 people saw the teacher put his hands on me. Looking back I wish I punched the guy and then claimed sexual assault.

They called my dad, who was ripshit at having to come in. They got the cops in before my dad, and even the douchebag cops tried telling me I had no 4A rights because I was a minor and I was going to be arrested for assault. My dad (ex cop) came in furious, he said that he'd happily let them search me with no probable cause and after being assaulted by a state employee after his lawyer got here, who he had already called, and that the school should expect a lawsuit, and the next person who laid a hand on me would get a 'thorough' beating, looked at the cops, and said 'especially you, scumbags'. I love that man, as tough and fearless as they come, and never afraid to tell someone to their face that they're a scumbag.

I think all I had on me was a pack of cigarettes. They never pulled that shit again.

They can search you, and they can search a backpack if you leave it behind. They'll try to tell you to leave the room and leave your backpack behind, but they can't separate you from it.

Another time I was smoking a cigarette at a urinal and the principal walked in and put his hand on my shoulder, telling me that I was in trouble. Before his fat face could finish his sentence I was yelling DONT TOUCH ME! IM PISSING! I HAVE MY DICK IN MY HAND AND YOURE TOUCHING ME! Remembering the run in he previously had with me he cut his losses and walked away, never mentioning it again.

My voice is my favorite weapon. Sure, the pepper spray, flashlight, firearm, and knife have their places, but nothing gets as much use as what I call my 'death metal voice'. Now I'm older and I dislike being touched even more. If I don't know you and you so much as put a hand on me, even in a friendly way, you'll probably get a response like this, or worse.

Anyone else have this reflexive aversion to being touched by strangers?

This is actually pretty awesome...

I can not even begin to imagine what happened when "STOP TOUCHING ME!" is heard coming from inside a boy's bathroom in a school..
Time to start updating the resume when something like that happens..

This is actually pretty awesome...

I can not even begin to imagine what happened when "STOP TOUCHING ME!" is heard coming from inside a boy's bathroom in a school..
Time to start updating the resume when something like that happens..

At a Catholic school...nothing.

Update: They're now calling is "RMHS Canine Search Update"

To: [email protected]
Subject: RMHS Canine Search Update
Reply-To: [email protected]
A message from READING SCHOOL DISTRICT
The message below is a joint press release from the Reading Public Schools and the Reading Police Department:

At approximately nine o’clock this morning, the Middlesex County Sherriff’s Office K-9 Unit, in cooperation with the Reading Police Department and the Reading Public Schools, conducted a lockdown and canine search of Reading Memorial High School. All parking lots, common areas, lockers, and several random classrooms were searched in accordance with proper legal procedures and the Reading School Committee Policy JIH on Search and Seizure. This lockdown and search drill was the result of extensive planning with school and police personnel and every effort was made to minimize the disruption to instruction. The lockdown procedure took approximately 25 minutes.
Our continued goal in our schools is to provide a safe environment for your children; where they are not exposed to unlawful and harmful activities such as illegal substance possession. The canines that were used today are trained to search for illegal narcotics. They are part of a highly skilled K-9 unit that conducts school searches throughout Eastern Massachusetts. Similar drills have been held in the last few years at high schools in North Reading, Wilmington, and Melrose.
During the search, no “alerts” were discovered in the school and two “alerts” were discovered in the parking lots. An “alert” occurs when canines are able to detect an odor consistent with illegal narcotics. In the “alerts” identified by the canines, no illegal narcotics were found during the search by Reading Memorial High School Administration. The School Department will continue to work with the Reading Police Department to monitor the issue of illegal substances on campus and will authorize a repeat search if we feel it would help in our efforts to maintain a positive learning environment.
We hope that you will understand our position on this issue and will be supportive of our proactive steps to maintain a safe school environment. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Police Chief James Cormier at the Reading Police Department at 781-944-1212 or Superintendent of Schools John Doherty at 781-944-5800.
This e-mail has been sent to you by READING SCHOOL DISTRICT. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you wish to discontinue this service, please inform READING SCHOOL DISTRICT either IN PERSON, by US MAIL, or by TELEPHONE at 781-944-5800.

If they did in fact find something, would they still refer to it as a drill? It seems more like a sting if it was a result of extensive planning and multi-agency cooperation.

Last edited:
Update: They're now calling is "RMHS Canine Search Update"

If they did in fact something, would they still refer to it as a drill? It seems more like a sting if it was a result of extensive planning and multi-agency cooperation.

I'm sure you registered your opposition to their planning, telling them that you do not ever want your child traumatized by such an exercise and explicitly put them on notice that your child is not to participate in any drills in the future, that they be fore warned and excused from school for that day.

I explicitly do not give permission for my child's participation in your police action, para-military drilling.

The lockers are school property, no expectation of privacy, same goes for the school grounds. I believe there is case law on that.

That also applies to lockers supplied by an employer.
Greater Lawrence Regional Technical High School in Andover got a lockdown/drug sweep earlier this week by K9 units from multiple local LE agencies. Again, nothing was found. Does not surprise me one bit. Kids these days, even stoners, are not that naive. They do not hide contraband in school lockers or their cars while parked on school property. They have long since found other, more secure, places to store the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom