Re-barrel a Python... recommend a smith...

heron163

NES Member
I have a 1966 python with a spare barrel. It is a shooter, not a safe queen...

anyone have an old python revolver barrel swap done in MA and how did it turn out? probably get a tune up as well

Dave S. is my default guy for S&W - I need to talk to him about colt products though. TIA if anyone has some good local info.

Dave S. is my default guy for S&W -

Dave Santurri swapped a barrel, cut for moonclips and performed a trigger job on my S&W 686 and did a fantastic job. I can't imagine he can't do the same swap and turning back of the shoulder on a Python for you. I have a 4" Python with muzzle wear but the frame is perfect. Once I find a cheap 4" barrel in good condition, I am going to pay Dave to swap it for me.

Chris

If your guy wont do it, I suggest Mike LaRocca, he's the guy I trust my Pythons with.

thanks I do know mike although it has been a few years...

Mike did my first 1911 makeover... he was the go to guy for my IPSC guns... I will see after I speak with the local guy. This is a shooter so I am going to put some new sights on it too... the factory sites of that era are matte front and back and a bit difficult to pick up in all light conditions...

Re barreling is not as easy as it sounds. The smith must have the right barrel wrench and frame jig for the revolver. The frame jig holds the frame and yoke tight so when the custom fitted wrench is used the frame does not twist and spring out of shape. Each revolver make and size has a unique jig and wrench. Be sure your choice of smith has the right tools for the job. Mike and Dave both may have it. The Python is out of production a while and the tools are not easy to come by. I see only one on the market now and it's $150 for the Python.

Send it back to Colt

they are not accepting new work.... the number of workers at colt who are competent gunsmiths is rapidly dwindling.

- - - Updated - - -

Re barreling is not as easy as it sounds. The smith must have the right barrel wrench and frame jig for the revolver. The frame jig holds the frame and yoke tight so when the custom fitted wrench is used the frame does not twist and spring out of shape. Each revolver make and size has a unique jig and wrench. Be sure your choice of smith has the right tools for the job. Mike and Dave both may have it. The Python is out of production a while and the tools are not easy to come by. I see only one on the market now and it's $150 for the Python.

thanks Greg... I have heard a few horror stories based on what you describe...

welp - got the python back after less than 4 weeks at Colt… considerably better than 3 months… they did everything I wanted and thing is crisp and tight - probably good for another 50 years although it is unlikely Colt will be around…

there are three employees left in the shop that worked on the production pythons - and two of them are retiring soon… its a damn shame what happened to colt[sad2]

Back
Top Bottom