Rant about Auto Burst Technologies

I have to rant, so please forgive me.

After getting a recommendation from a forum member, last fall I contacted Vito @ Auto Burst Technologies regarding refinishing an AR-15 lower receive. He quoted me $125 to strip and reanodize the receiver, and promised a 2 week turnaround. I dropped the receiver off on December 9th.

I assumed there would be a bit of a delay due to the holidays, but when I hadn't hear from him a month later, I sent an email (January 11th). I was told, " its [sic] stripped, just waiting for a couple of more pieces so I can anodize them together to keep your costs down."

I'm not sure how that would keep my costs down, as he already quoted me a price, but the time frame he gave me.

"I should have it completed in a wee [sic] and a half. Sorry for the delay, V"

By mid February, still no word, so I sent another email on February 14th. The reply:

" I have 4 more which I'm doing in the sand [sic] batch. Will be done next week."

Two weeks later, still no reply. In response to my February 28th email:

"I hurt my back and have been out of commission for the past two weeks, I have not been able to do the work. I got some appointments on Mon and Tuesday in Boston, to get some MRI's done, if everything is OK, I will try to get thme [sic] dipped on Thurs."

Okay, so they guy hurt himself. Shit happens, what can you do? However, I would like to point out that the injury happened more than two months after I dropped off a job that was promised in two weeks. Still, I backed off and gave the guy some space. When I didn't receive an update within a month, I emailed on April 5th, asking how he was feeling.

"I have been doing rehabilitative physical therapy but still out of work. I also have been going through a cortisone treatment, hopefully with the better weather I will be able to go back to the shop in a week or so, as I am getting incredibly backed up. Your item is a priority and will be the first one I will do when I return."

I've had long standing plans to shoot the rifle next weekend, so I replied and inquired if he thought it would be finished by April 16th. It's been a week since I wrote, and I still have no reply.

Should I just drive down there, take the receiver back, and have someone else refinish it??? I'd at least expect some kind of a discount (if he ever gets around to doing the work). It's been over 4 months of broken promises and piss poor communications, and I'm getting a little fed up.

Thoughts?

Go down there and see what the deal is. Maybe hes blowing smoke or maybe hes telling the truth. Only one way to find out. Then take the receiver back. And ask for your money back.

Take it back... If your are looking for a true hardcoat anodizing job (which is a electrochemical process and can result in your receiver being turned into mush if done incorrectly) I wouldn't trust Vito to that. If you are looking for a paint job (duracoat or Gunkote), yes he could do that.

I'd ask to get it back. If there is a delay in any work I am having done I am usually very understanding, but the communication has to be there, if not I feel like I'm getting the run around.

Autoburst is no longer associated with Zero Hour and has moved out of the rear of the building that he occupied.
I do not have his new address but it should be listed on his website.

It has been a few months since he moved out, it has been a few years since Jim at Zero Hour seperated with him and the Autoburst name.

No further information is available.

I'd drive down there and pick up your receiver. Then I'd kick the guy in the nuts and see if it straightens out his back.

Just wondering - why was it worth $125 to get a lower re-anodized, when you can buy a new quality lower for only slightly more?

Drive down there and get it.

There are few things more irritating than when a deadline is not met. It's not your problem he didn't have enough pieces to do a batch, that's a cost he should eat.

So since he works for Anvil, ABT no longer exists or it's being dissolved or what? I was talking to him a couple weeks ago about an AR being built, glad I didn't end up bringing it there, looks like it might have been a nightmare getting it back!

Just wondering - why was it worth $125 to get a lower re-anodized, when you can buy a new quality lower for only slightly more?

Maybe it was pre-ban? I

n any case, my brief meeting with Vito was at a car shoot, and he seemed like a nice guy and traded a box of WWB .45 I had for more trigger time on his PKM, RPK and Krink, than I had in she shooters-pack. That said a lot, but that was my only interaction with him...

I think you should cut your losses and go get your receiver and your cash flow...

So since he works for Anvil, ABT no longer exists or it's being dissolved or what? I was talking to him a couple weeks ago about an AR being built, glad I didn't end up bringing it there, looks like it might have been a nightmare getting it back!

It was a joke. A bad one.

I would go get it back as soon as possible. Two weeks to several months sounds like there is more going on then just his back. Also, if he's out of work and has no money coming in, his business may be close to going under.

Not gun related, but as an example, my cousin dropped off a hot tub part to a one man business to be fixed. The guy quoted him a month. After two months went by without word my cousin when to the shop and it was closed up, the bank had repossessed everything in the shop and liquidated it, including his part. He had a hell of a time getting money out of the bank.

I wouldn't take the chance at this point. Plenty of other places that can do this work for you.

Just as a side note, I do CNC engraving for those who need to mark their form 4 guns and duracoating along with other machine services at Zero Hour. There are other members here who have had work done or currently having work done for reference.
I am doing some MA compliant break pinning work for some members now.

Just as a side note, I do CNC engraving for those who need to mark their form 4 guns and duracoating along with other machine services at Zero Hour. There are other members here who have had work done or currently having work done for reference.
I am doing some MA compliant break pinning work for some members now.

NFA items transfered on a Form 4 don't need to engraved, however, NFA items made and registered on a Form 1 do need engraving. [smile]

--EasyD

Go get the receiver.

Stripping and re-anodizing should be no more than $100 with at most 1 week (drop off monday pick up friday) turnaround. That is standard pricing. Hell I have gotten things done with an overnight turnaround (drop off at 5pm pick up at 6am) for $200 and that was a batch of about 10 receiver sized parts.

I would also not trust anyone to strip and anodize a receiver unless they do it all the time. I have seen the damage that can be done by a GOOD shop due to a mistake let alone joe blow who does it every now and then.

Is Dench the only one who feels it is necessary to neg rep me for use of "[sic]," or is there anyone else who'd like to send me negative reputation points?

According to him, it's "mad gay."

Oh, and in regards to my lower, I received an email from Vito Sunday. He said my lower will be ready to be picked up on Thursday, free of charge.

Oh, and in regards to my lower, I received an email from Vito Sunday. He said my lower will be ready to be picked up on Thursday, free of charge.

Doesn't surprise me a bit, Vito is a stand-up guy. Glad you are getting your part back and can resume your project. [cheers]

Back
Top Bottom