Ranges for NATO rounds?

This might be an example of why some ranges just say no PCC on the pistol range because some people would think rifles are okay.
Yup. I've seen people standing right next to the sign that says "Pistols Only" shooting their pccs. And somebody sees that and assumes rifles (real rifles) are okay.

Thank you very much, daekken - that was it exactly. I’d like to shoot 5.56 or 7.62 but the only ranges I’ve gone to in MA (indoor and outdoor) had these restrictions. Given all the rules in MA, I thought they might apply everywhere.

Apologies to everyone that I wasn’t clearer. Sometimes I don’t know what I don’t know - and I know that. (Pretty new to MA, same to shooting. And nope, never won a Giveway in that time).

In real life, most people say I listen more than talk. Probably a good habit for me to keep to everywhere!
No worries, everyone is just having some fun.

Call MFS in Holliston. I remember shooting AK and AR at their indoor range. I believe it was 7.62x35 in the AK.
Explicitly disallowed in the range rules at MFS. Also typically ignored. It was tiresome feeling backsplash from people firing 5.56 on the fairly short ranges when I was a member.

Last edited:
If you check his stats you might find that he is not exactly a "noob". He has been on this forum for 4 years. He has 8 posts. One of them is the beginning of this thread.

The other 7 are all "In"s for monthly giveaways.
Very much like me. I just don't post much because I don't have time. I lurk around and read a lot, but post very little.

Serious answer: look for outdoor ranges. Indoor ranges don't want you to destroy their backstops. Last I was looking, the club in Rutland was taking new members. Life keeps getting in the way of me joining a club. Now that my son is asking about saving up to buy a rifle, I need to find somewhere in central MA (Worcester area) to shoot.

Thank you very much, daekken - that was it exactly. I’d like to shoot 5.56 or 7.62 but the only ranges I’ve gone to in MA (indoor and outdoor) had these restrictions. Given all the rules in MA, I thought they might apply everywhere.

Apologies to everyone that I wasn’t clearer. Sometimes I don’t know what I don’t know - and I know that. (Pretty new to MA, same to shooting. And nope, never won a Giveway in that time).

In real life, most people say I listen more than talk. Probably a good habit for me to keep to everywhere!
No worries, we all started somewhere. Hopefully you can find a place to shoot the cartridges and rifles that you want to.

Where around do you live.
You can shoot rifles at Dracut and Granite state. (Granite state being more picky about steel ammo)

Both my MA and NH clubs have such restrictions in certain areas.
At the MA club, certain plates are restricted to pistol rounds/PCC only due to the proximity of the firing line (outdoor range). Additionally, only 22lr is allowed for rifles on the indoor range (and no magnums of any kind, even fired from pistols).

In my NH club, one particular range only allows 22lr or pistol rounds on the plates. They actually ban 22lr ARs from that range, due to people seeing others shooting "AR-style" firearms and assuming 5.56/.223 is permissible.
Auburn Sportsman's Club has a new steel plate range, but it is for .22LR pistols and revolvers only. No .22LR rifles, no .22 Mag anything.

OP: About your avatar:
If you want to kick it up a notch,
here's one battle-tested idea...
Screen+Shot+2013-07-02+at+12.41.55+PM.png

You can only shoot NATO rounds at blue helmets.
Fxck....someone beat me to it!
Don't sweat it - there'll be plenty to go around.

If you check his stats you might find that he is not exactly a "noob". He has been on this forum for 4 years. He has 8 posts. One of them is the beginning of this thread.

The other 7 are all "In"s for monthly giveaways.
Meh, weak.

Go to the OP and click on his screen name,
and then click on his screen name in the pop-up dialog box.

You can only shoot NATO rounds at blue helmets.
Wouldn't that make them UN rounds?
Sounds like the eternal conundrum in Chinese restaurants,
"if it's labeled 'Foo Sauce',
does that mean it's made out of Foo,
or it's for putting on Foo?".

I thought NATO wore sky blue?

NATO wears whatever their countries tell them to wear. There's no special color or uniform item associated with them.

I served under NATO for awhile. The only way anyone would know is because we spray-painted initials on the doors of our humvees.

Oh man like 80 replies and only 4-5 of any value

About par though for NES!!! Love you guys ❤

You can shoot 556 at AFS inside.
Yeah I brought a new AR to AFS once cause I needed to dial in the new sights with a couple rounds. Guys in the adjacent lanes gave me a look like next shot I took they would shoot me. The CMMV SV brake comp was definitely no fun for the next guy over, sorry.

Yeah I brought a new AR to AFS once cause I needed to dial in the new sights with a couple rounds. Guys in the adjacent lanes gave me a look like next shot I took they would shoot me. The CMMV SV brake comp was definitely no fun for the next guy over, sorry.
what is AFS? north attleborough?
gotta be one heck of the backstop to hold a m855 at 12yds.

What are they made from, pie pans? Seems odd.
There's an amazing amount of people who have a ton of concerns about plates. From what I've seen most of these people in reality have no to little experience with plates. and the experiences they do have are all bad, usually via damaged surfaces, improper installation or improper caliber/distance situations.

It's slowly changing, but at a snails pace.

Hello, are there any ranges in MA that permit Rifle fire with NATO rounds? So far I’ve only seen pistol caliber allowed…Thanka!
Your question might be a little confusing to gun geeks here. You see, the NATO standard includes four small arms calibers: 5.7x29, 9mm, 5.56x45, 7.62*51, and 50 BMG.
I suspect you meant either 556 or 762 since they are the two most common calibers in use. As a rule of thumb, if a club allows rifles, these two calibers are OK to use. If you let us know which area you're in(north/south/west of Boston, Worchester, Springfield, Cape, Fall River areas, etc.), we'll get you a few options for your area.

I’m speechless.

WTF is a NATO round? All bullets are round.
Not all:

Puckle demonstrated two configurations of the basic design: one, intended for use against Christian enemies, fired conventional round bullets, while the second, designed to be used against the Muslim Turks, fired square bullets.

source:

Back
Top Bottom