Rand CLP - Anyone have issues with it gumming up

Im not a lube junky. I don't typically spend time researching lube trying to find the one that will work in 300 degree temps as well as 200 feet underwater. I just want some lube.

I think I was at some shooting even and they were giving this stuff away (Rand CLP) . I grabbed a bottle.

Fast forward a year. I decided to take out some guns and give them a deep clear and lube for storage. I had run out of Breakfree CLP so I grabbed this stuff.

I recently pulled a pistol out that I had cleaned and racked the slide and something seemed off. I racked a few more times. Damn that slide was sticky. It was bad. It was if someone had poured honey on my recoil assembly and chilled it. It was in my house so it was at room temp.

Anyone else have issues with Rand CLP gumming up like this?

I just ordered Gun Scrubber to remove it and will be going with Slip 2000.

Im not a lube junky. I don't typically spend time researching lube trying to find the one that will work in 300 degree temps as well as 200 feet underwater. I just want some lube.

I think I was at some shooting even and they were giving this stuff away (Rand CLP) . I grabbed a bottle.

Fast forward a year. I decided to take out some guns and give them a deep clear and lube for storage. I had run out of Breakfree CLP so I grabbed this stuff.

I recently pulled a pistol out that I had cleaned and racked the slide and something seemed off. I racked a few more times. Damn that slide was sticky. It was bad. It was if someone had poured honey on my recoil assembly and chilled it. It was in my house so it was at room temp.

I just ordered Gun Scrubber to remove it and will be going with Slip 2000.

Never used the Rand CLP ... but .... Breakfree CLP is awesome, been using it for 5 years ... why change if it works..

Not with Rand, but I had the exact same issue with FrogLube on my rifle. Had been reading all the rave reviews on it and decided to grab some at Four Seasons. Followed directions exactly as written, all seemed fine and put it away for the winter.

Couple months later down at Hanson I loaded up, hit the range and nothing. Complete fail to fire. Started immediate action drills, nothing. Cleared it and back to the bench to open it up, the entire inside was gummed up and sticky as hell just like you said.

Cleaned the entire thing inside out, used break free which is what I've used for near 30yrs, and it fired perfectly the same day.

Talked to some friends later and 3 other guys had the same issue with it on pistols and a UMP. None of us are new to firearms by any means but all had the same problem.

When I got home the FrogLube found a new home in the trash can. Never again.

Pretty sure there was a thread a while back about frog lube being vegetable oil.

Yes they say it's all natural and safe enough to eat, which being a grunt I did. Tasted like minty flavored shit. Good for food, maybe-not so much for making my guns go bang.

I believe that RANDclp and froglube have expiration date and are not to be used for long term storage. I have never had a problem with slip2000 even after 3+ years in storage.

Last edited:
I believe that RANDclp and froglube have expiration date and are not to be used foe long term storage. I have never had a problem with slip2000 even after 3+ years in aorage.

That sounds about right. Maybe was in the fine print that my old eyes didn't see anywhere. Still will never use it again.

Great avatar by the way, love it.

I've been using Hoppes bore cleaner, cleaner and lubricant my whole life, never had an issue with longterm storage. I feel like every time someone tells me about a new brand, I end up hearing a story from them six months to a year later about how they regret it. All-in-ones seem convenient but I'm still working my way through 32oz bottles of Hoppes cleaners/lubes so it'll be a while.

I don't know what it is but I love these lube threads. I use Kroil,Mobil 1,Ballistol and sometimes shooters choice solvent.

I have and have used RAND CLP. No issue with it gumming up, but like anything I degrease before changing to a different product. SEAL-1, Froglube are vegetable based and only in cold weather and over using the product have I seem them gum up.

Get your self a can of breakcleaner and degrease your parts them treat them with RAND CLP. I can tell you if you email RAND they would be very interested in seeing if it was there product or a mix of something else mixed with RAND gumming up. RAND is a very good product and has always slicked up my actions and kept stuff running just fine.

firearms lubes = snake oil there is little to no research in the industry ( excludes real mil lubes) on lubrication it is all repackaged lubes made for other industries , the firearms lube industry is all about profit not about quality. The real issue is that one bottle of lube to an firearms enthusiast last them 8 months to years , not a lot of lube is used at any one time so the lube sits on a shelf and lasts the consumer a long time. Most lube companies with in the firearms can not sell through enough stock in a year to justify real research and innovation. The companies do a run of product and it is so much that they too have it sit in storage for years , it really does not make much sense for any one companies to put forth a quality product since it is just going to sit. My best suggestion for real science with in the lube fields is looking at auto, moto, heavy equipment , manufacturing , & cycling , these are all heavy users of lubes even in cycling a bottle of oil last no more than a year with a enthusiasts as keeping things clean and lube are key. Developments come fast and furious in industries that use a turn over their stock of lubes, there is real heavy competition among the brands and they are always researching what works better.

Never used the Rand CLP ... but .... Breakfree CLP is awesome, been using it for 5 years ... why change if it works..

I've been using Break-Free for decades, and a few months ago I pulled a gun out of the safe which I haven't used in at least 5 years, and found it had gummed-up the same way Underwhere describes. So I guess none of this stuff is good for long term storage.

I have and have used RAND CLP. No issue with it gumming up, but like anything I degrease before changing to a different product. SEAL-1, Froglube are vegetable based and only in cold weather and over using the product have I seem them gum up.

Get your self a can of breakcleaner and degrease your parts them treat them with RAND CLP. I can tell you if you email RAND they would be very interested in seeing if it was there product or a mix of something else mixed with RAND gumming up. RAND is a very good product and has always slicked up my actions and kept stuff running just fine.

My company uses RAND 500 oil additive. My company said it was proven to increase fuel mileage during there internal studies and it saved more then it cost to buy the product.
So I have to add it during a PM and I do as instructed.
I store this stuff outside in a storage trailer un-heated. Now this is an oil additive and they said they use synthetic oil as the carrier for the "nano" stuff. HOWEVER this stuff FREEZES! I'm not talking it gets thick or slow to pore. It forms actual crystals and sounds like your mixing a slush puppy once it thaws a bit. I'll add it as my company wants but wouldn't use there stuff on anything I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bottle of Rand CLP which I have been using since about July 2013. While it has always had a thicker consistency than most lubes that I have used, I have never experienced any of the problems that were referred to in this thread. That said, I only use it in situations where I want a thicker lube.

glocks and ar's get mobil 1 mixed with lucas oil stabilizer and gear oil. m1a's and ak's get wheel bearing or lithium grease.

never had a problem and ive got a lifetime supply for $30

all those stupid gimmicky gun lubes, $30 a bottle. dumb. your ar15 will never be in as hostile an environment as a camshaft or a wheel bearing.

This is a gun lube we are talking have you tried that with there CLP? Over the oil additive? Different products would be interested in seeing. But when it comes to a firearm your just putting a lite coat on the rails and barrel not poring it all over the gun so freezing should be a large issue.

glocks and ar's get mobil 1 mixed with lucas oil stabilizer and gear oil. m1a's and ak's get wheel bearing or lithium grease.

never had a problem and ive got a lifetime supply for $30

all those stupid gimmicky gun lubes, $30 a bottle. dumb. your ar15 will never be in as hostile an environment as a camshaft or a wheel bearing.

Most of the time you only need a few drops of oil on your contact points. Ammo and firearm cost way more then a bottle of oil. But hey if your happy using auto products power to you but cleaning and lube products made for firearms is not the largest cost of being in the shooting sports.

I've been using Break-Free for decades, and a few months ago I pulled a gun out of the safe which I haven't used in at least 5 years, and found it had gummed-up the same way Underwhere describes. So I guess none of this stuff is good for long term storage.

Breakfree CLP is not a long term storage product. Breakfree LP4 is what you want for long term storage. Not saying this in a bad way but its user error most of the time on the issues you have with firearms and not the products fault. Same with guns that get sent back to the factory most of the time nothing wrong with the firearm its the customer didn't clean it or put it back together correctly. I have seen it a ton of time over the years.

Case in point ATI makes a stock for the Mini14 but not for the news model mini's you have to check before you order. Had a guy in a gun shop saying there was something wrong with the Mini14 he has because it wouldn't fit in the stock without busting out a cutting wheel and oh the front retainer that keeps the factor stock on is broken seeing it came loss on the new stock. 1st wrong stock then 2nd didn't tight it down with a torque wrench. Blaming everyone else and saying its broken for his lack of skills and knowledge which is a big thing in gun ownership. Most people didn't read the manual that comes with the firearm then take it apart and can't get it back together. If you own firearms read the manual take training other then a safety class if your going to carry, nope most people buy the gun and a cheap holster and use there work belt to hold it. Then a week later come back crying that there cheap holster or belt broke. Spend the money once not twice lol.

This is a gun lube we are talking have you tried that with there CLP? Over the oil additive? Different products would be interested in seeing. But when it comes to a firearm your just putting a lite coat on the rails and barrel not poring it all over the gun so freezing should be a large issue.

I fully understand that your talking about gun lube and I an oil additive. The two companies are now also "separate" but where developed under by the same people and chemists before they became separate. Based upon their oil additive and what I have found I do not trust their products. However if it works for you enjoy.

I fully understand that your talking about gun lube and I an oil additive. The two companies are now also "separate" but where developed under by the same people and chemists before they became separate. Based upon their oil additive and what I have found I do not trust their products. However if it works for you enjoy.

Part 1 test

https://www.full30.com/video/58f8cf3a571961e44538a75249294896

Part 2 test
https://www.full30.com/video/0020dbd331e6d47da5bed1d135c514ea

And ALG Go juice and grease.
https://www.full30.com/video/812b2416d2e585399d0105336143937e

Most of the time you only need a few drops of oil on your contact points. Ammo and firearm cost way more then a bottle of oil. But hey if your happy using auto products power to you but cleaning and lube products made for firearms is not the largest cost of being in the shooting sports.

What's the difference? Lubrication is Lubrication. If you read their MSDS, CLP and millitec 1 are actually made with a PAO base which IS mobil 1 5-30. So what does snakeoil salesman gun lube guy do different to a bottle of mobil 1 oil that makes it better for guns? Change the label from "motor oil" to "gun oil"?

Products like "froglube" and "fireclean" have been proven to be junk gimmicks. If you want to pay 30x more per unit for vegetable oil relabeled as gun oil more power to you. But the fact of the matter is that any commercial grade grease or motor oil with the appropriate lubricity/viscosity for your application is just as good if not better than junk like froglube. I've seen rem-oil and clp freeze bolts solid in severe cold and ive watched guys pour half a bottle of clp into an M240 and have it be dry again after a few hundred rounds because clp sucks. When afghans need oil for their weapons they use used motor oil from their trucks and their shit works fine.

Again, i challenge you to show me a gun that see's a worse operating environment than a wheel bearing or engine, if mobil 1 can keep a truck lubricated properly for 5,000 miles its good enough for an AR15. Ive got an upper with 10,000 rounds through it lubed with my mobil 1 blend and the bolt still looks great, my service rifles bolt looks like its been sandblasted after however many years of use with CLP. Its not a price thing, trust me i dont care to spend extra money to get the best out of my equipment ask anyone here, im just smart enough to know when im getting ripped off by industry gimmicks like froglube, fireclean, sidecar holsters, slidefire stocks, enhanced magazine releases, etc.because "operator xyz" uses it.

Last edited:
I like to use fireclean, because it makes my rifle smell like french fries. j/k I use Mobil1. Unless it's my AK, I usually let that thing rust shut then I take the furniture off and let it sit in a bucket of old diesel and motor oil. A few hours later I hit it with a hammer and it works fine until I shoot some 7N6 in the rain and forget to take it out of the rifle bag.

Only time I use anything else is when I am shooting long hard days suppressed, I keep a spray can of REMoil in my bag to blast into the ejection port every now and then.

Lube is lube, 'snacks is 100% right.

Lube thread, lulz.

Back
Top Bottom