Raising Quail

Yep, awesome. I'm going to insulate the west side of my shed and then put their coop in there with wood chips during the winter.

Wood chips might create a choke hazard. In raising pheasant chicks, wood chips are not a wise litter as the birds could try to consume them and choke. Now quail might be different but I also thought that quail should always be raised on wire and not left on a solid floor.

Just cracked up a couple weeks worth of eggs.... Damn thats labor intensive for breakfast.
I have about a cup and a half of quail eggs.... They don't go very far!

Yeah the eggs are at my shop over at my parents so my mother will grab eggs when I don't swing by. I get there almost every other day. Begin a salesman has it benefits. I can swing in and fill the food and water. The quart sized feeder and waterer last a couple days anyway.
I do need another batch. I need to get some buff Orpington eggs to you too. Let me know when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you make a quail omelet from quail eggs & quail meat or is that some kind of double negative?

43802.jpg

I lost two of them against a unknown critter ... One was injured pretty bad but she's coming back. One of the female starts laying eggs again ... also bought 2 ducks they funny ass hell

Last hatch had 24 chicks. They are 1 week old and I just put 38 tuxedo eggs in the incubator. 16-18 days from now. I will be looking for a bigger coop.

Last edited:
Maxed out at 65 birds.. Some hit the grill already. I'll fill the freezer and get down to a breeding crew of 12-18 for the winter.

Any updates?

My parent's have a hen that hatched 11 chicks a couple weeks ago. They're all going well. one fell in the drink and was soaked. I didn't know if it would make it but it was fine and doing well. I guess it was warm enough and dried off well.
My english pointer was pretty excited about the whole order last week, until the mother hen chased her off. Pretty awesome to watch a 12 pound bird make a 60 pound dog cower. Hilarious. That hen meant business.

The update is I have 60+ birds and as they get bigger I either need to get rid of some or I will need a bigger freezer. I also have more eggs than I can handle.

Back
Top Bottom