• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Raising Quail

Mike-Mike

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
I built a quail tractor. I am looking for Coturnix quail. Anyone else raising birds?

Does anyone know where to get them in MA?

-Mike

I know for chickens and guinea you can order day old birds through the mail. They survive off the last of their yolk for 24-48 hours so they can handle the shipping.

Ill post pics of the tractor. Tractor is a small coop that is on wheels so they can feed off different areas of the yard.

Where did you get them?

Craigslist. I had to go to Bristol RI. I was thinking if people are interested we can get an incubator and we can hatch a bunch. I might do some meat birds for the cookouts, and the eggs are much healthier than chicken eggs. A hen will lay about 300 eggs a year and I have 6 of them.

you have a cock too? Thought I counted 7.

Planning on expanding the covey?
How long before they start laying?
When does production slow down? Year 2, 3?
... At what point do you turn your layer into a meat bird?

Very cool.[thumbsup]

ETA: Thanks for sharing! Tried to Rep "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mike-Mike again."

Last edited:
See bold

you have a cock too? Thought I counted 7. Yes 2M 6F

Planning on expanding the covey? Maybe
How long before they start laying? They can lay at 5-7 weeks old. They will start when they have 14hours of light for 2 weeks. Artificial light is ok. Some people use Christmas lights on a timer to keep them going.
When does production slow down? Year 2, 3? Yes around then. So I will hatch every few years and eat the old ones.
... At what point do you turn your layer into a meat bird? see above

Also the poop is the best stuff for your lawn. They also can eat table scraps, fruit etc. just try to keep protein around 26%-30% (game feed).

Very cool.[thumbsup]

- - - Updated - - -

How old are they? At what age do they start laying?

8 weeks
see above

WHY QUAIL EGG IS IMPORTANT

Quail eggs are packed with vitamins and minerals. Even with their small size, their nutritional value is three to four times greater than chicken eggs. Quail eggs contain 13 percent proteins compared to 11 percent in chicken eggs. Quail eggs also contain 140 percent of vitamin B1 compared to 50 percent in chicken eggs. In addition, quail eggs provide five times as much iron and potassium. Unlike chicken eggs, quail eggs have not been know to cause allergies or diathesis. Actually they help fight allergy symptoms due to the ovomucoid protein they contain.

Regular consumption of quail eggs helps fight against many diseases. They are a natural combatant against digestive tract disorders such as stomach ulcers. Quail eggs strengthen the immune system, promote memory health, increase brain activity and stabilize the nervous system. They help with anemia by increasing the level of hemoglobin in the body while removing toxins and heavy metals. The Chinese use quail eggs to help treat tuberculosis, asthma, and even diabetes. If you are a sufferer of kidney, liver, or gallbladder stones quail eggs can help prevent and remove these types of stones.

http://a-livinghealthy.blogspot.com/2012/11/benefit-of-quail-eggs.html

$63 a bag?! that 30% stuff just lasts until 8 weeks right? Then you can switch to lower protein? The 20% stuff we feed our pheasants is $13.50/50 lbs so hopefully you can find more affordable feed. Also, you should check out Mississippi State's poultry info:

http://msucares.com/poultry/game/index.html

They are a very good resource. They focus more on bobwhite's but I am sure most of the info is not species' specific and can be applied to most quail.

Last edited:
$63 a bag?! that 30% stuff just lasts until 8 weeks right? Then you can switch to lower protein? The 20% stuff we feed our pheasants is $13.50/50 lbs so hopefully you can find more affordable feed. Also, you should check our Mississippi State's poultry info:

http://msucares.com/poultry/game/index.html

They are a very good resource. They focus more on bobwhite's but I am sure most of the info is not species' specific and can be applied to most quail.

Thanks, They stay on the starter. But yes that price sux. The people on BYC (Back yard chickens) are getting better prices.

Table 1 -- RECOMMENDED NUTRITIONAL REQUIREMENTS - Mississippi State University website

Diet Protein(%) Calcium(%) Phosphorus(%)
Bobwhite Quail
Meat-type
Starter (0 - 6 wk) 23.0 1.0 .50
Finisher (6 wk - mkt) 19.0 .90 .50
Flight
Starter (0 - 6 wk) 26.0 1.0 .50
Developer (6 - 16 wk) 22.0 .90 .50
Breeders
Developer (6 - 20 wk) 18.0 1.0 .50
Layer (20 wk +) 19.0 2.75 .65

Coturnix (Pharaoh) Quail
Starter (0 - 6 wk ) 24.0 .85 .60
Finisher (6 wk - mkt) 18.0 .65 .50
Layer (6 wk +) 18.0 2.75 .65

you might want to look at 20% protein feed and try to add a calcium supplement. I know a lot of people think BYC is the only source, but MSU is one of 6 schools that still offers a poultry science degree. I would put more weight on their advice than others. Yes you can feed them higher protein and they will be fine, but you can save a lot of money and be no worse off. Either way, they are really cool little birds and enjoy them.

Table 1 -- RECOMMENDED NUTRITIONAL REQUIREMENTS - Mississippi State University website

Diet Protein(%) Calcium(%) Phosphorus(%)
Bobwhite Quail
Meat-type
Starter (0 - 6 wk) 23.0 1.0 .50
Finisher (6 wk - mkt) 19.0 .90 .50
Flight
Developer (6 - 16 wk) 22.0 .90 .50
Breeders
Developer (6 - 20 wk) 18.0 1.0 .50
Layer (20 wk +) 19.0 2.75 .65

Coturnix (Pharaoh) Quail
Starter (0 - 6 wk ) 24.0 .85 .60
Finisher (6 wk - mkt) 18.0 .65 .50
Layer (6 wk +) 18.0 2.75 .65

you might want to look at 20% protein feed and try to add a calcium supplement. I know a lot of people think BYC is the only source, but MSU is one of 6 schools that still offers a poultry science degree. I would put more weight on their advice than others. Yes you can feed them higher protein and they will be fine, but you can save a lot of money and be no worse off. Either way, they are really cool little birds and enjoy them.

I got my feed at Tractor supply and the highest they has was 24% and it was fairly cheap. I was going to supplement with meal worms for now but might hold off and do a little more research. Either way I don't think its rocket science, if they were wild they would eat whatever they could depending on the season.

Thanks for the tips.

Craigslist. I had to go to Bristol RI. I was thinking if people are interested we can get an incubator and we can hatch a bunch. I might do some meat birds for the cookouts, and the eggs are much healthier than chicken eggs. A hen will lay about 300 eggs a year and I have 6 of them.

I am ordering about 4 dozen eggs and hatching them out in an incubator in the next couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom