Rainy day strategy

So I have a couple of good trees picked out for my climber, edge of a swampy/marshy area, lots of oaks/acorns, plenty of deer poop. But opening day for shotgun in MA is forecast to be rain. Should I stick with my original plan, climb a tree and stay put all day, or should I take advantage of the rain and move about slowly. I figure the rain should help quiet the leaves and may help keep scent down as well. If there was a time to be moving I figure that would be it, but I'm just not sure. I'd appreciate any inputs from veteran hunters, I'm still pretty new at this.

Pray for clouds

I think the rain will hold off until the afternoon. Never trust any forecast, especially one three days out.

Stick to the tree all day, they should be moving around before the rain comes. I hung a treestand todat, boy was it windy!

Last edited:
I've sat in rain and moved around in past years. I think it is better as mentioned to stay in one spot, protect your gun as best you can, and ride it out if it rains.

There are times where people stay home instead of sitting in rain. I prefer snow over rain. If you get in rain any day, plan ahead to stay warm. Getting wet pulls out heat.

Dana

Sit all day they will move all day.

Going to have to disagree with this. A warm/rainy day deer will for the most part be bed down (especially if you also have wind).

Your chances of seeing a deer while sitting are drastically reduced due to the limited "natural" movement of the animals. Might as well still hunt and take advantage of the deer's reduced senses (rain-sound/wind-scent).

Well it was certainly not warm. I sat all day but alas no dice. Soggy rice as my grandfather used to say...

I couldn't take sitting in one spot for more than two hours due to the rain, so I switched it up between sitting and still hunting from dawn until 3pm. I couldn't take any more of the cold/rain after that.

On my way into the woods this morning I jumped a large doe. I was waaayyy to close to my neighbors house to take a shot, but at least I saw something.

I have high hopes for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom