• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rail Systems for upper on Norinco Mak-90

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
So I friend of mine had asked if I could suggest anywhere where he could find a rail system for his Norinco Mak-90

"having a hard time finding import rail systems for upper furniture for my norinco mak-90...any ideas?"

So my NES friends what are your thoughts?

Not sure why he would have any trouble... a MAK really isn't that much different from other AKs.

Midwest Industries makes a bunch of different rail systems. He should choose the one that is going to work with the optic he is going to use if he wants it to co-witness.

-Mike

Ok cool midwest industries is one spot I will send him to check out/browse.

Any other sites anyone can suggest.

Ok so I think he may be a bit confused or I am about 922 compliance... here was his reply to my suggested sites for him:

"i guess the main issue is not getting just the furniture for mak 90's, but however making sure they are from outside the us for 922 compliancy...i dont really understand it fully, but i heard i need to have a certain amount of parts be non-us made to keep it inside the requirements for a post ban receiver"

I thought you could change out most things on one much like an AR but keeping the stock, receiver, muzzle, etc within compliance. Can anyone shed some knowledge for me and my buddy. BTW he is not in MA, he is in CO.

Ok so I think he may be a bit confused or I am about 922 compliance... here was his reply to my suggested sites for him:

"i guess the main issue is not getting just the furniture for mak 90's, but however making sure they are from outside the us for 922 compliancy...i dont really understand it fully, but i heard i need to have a certain amount of parts be non-us made to keep it inside the requirements for a post ban receiver"

I thought you could change out most things on one much like an AR but keeping the stock, receiver, muzzle, etc within compliance. Can anyone shed some knowledge for me and my buddy. BTW he is not in MA, he is in CO.

922R is a different ballgame, and he has it backwards. If he wants to maintain 922R compliance, he may have to make other alterations to the rifle, eg, changing out the trigger group or piston to US parts, not foreign parts.

A halfway decent page that breaks it down:

http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

Note that if he lives in free america, he can just use newer US made mags (eg, US Palm, Tapco, etc) with his gun, he can basically get 3 parts that way all by itself just for the magazine. The downside of this is if he ever puts a cheap foreign AK mag in his gun, he may take his rifle out of compliance while it is in the gun.

It's also worth noting that there is basically ZERO USC 922R case law. The only case I could find where it
actually got enforced by BATFE was a gunsmith who had a bunch of chinese M1A parts in his shop that he
was building rifles from. BATFE tacked on a 922R charge because it was clear that he had "assembled" the
rifle in such a non-compliant configuration. It is unclear to me at this time whether or not the law is
enforceable only against said "assembler" or unilaterally affects the legality of the rifle even for possession
purposes.

The laughable part of USC922R is every gun show in america, and every third gun shop probably has several non compliant rifles floating around in it, and BATFE is typically at the bigger shows and they either ignore these completely or don't care. If anyone has ever seen an SKS with duckbill mags on it, and a choate side folder/pg stock on it, there's a 99% chance the rifle isn't compliant... but yet nobody seems to care.

As usual, of course, he must proceed at his own peril. Although this law is never, or rarely enforced, it still
is a (potential) federal felony.

ETA: Here's a "fun" thread on Falfiles discussing the nuances of 922R... probably more than what your friend needs...

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=261731

IIRC there's another thread on that board somewhere, where one of the admins/mods or some other prominent
user offered up $1000 if anyone could find a prosecution based soley on USC 922R. As far as I know that
reward went unclaimed. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom