Quick Access Long Gun Storage?

Does anyone have a recommendation for quick access long gun storage?
I would prefer a mechanical lock (like my Fort Knox pistol box) and it would be nice if it could mount on the inside of a closet wall or something, but I am open to anything that is secure.

Also, what to do about the loaded mag? Maybe the system would have to enclose the whole gun and mag, not sure what options are out there.

My standing safe just takes too long to get into with the key and all.

Sorry if dupe, but I could not find similar thread. Please post link if there is one.

Does anyone have a recommendation for quick access long gun storage?
I would prefer a mechanical lock (like my Fort Knox pistol box) and it would be nice if it could mount on the inside of a closet wall or something, but I am open to anything that is secure.

Also, what to do about the loaded mag? Maybe the system would have to enclose the whole gun and mag, not sure what options are out there.

My standing safe just takes too long to get into with the key and all.

Sorry if dupe, but I could not find similar thread. Please post link if there is one.

Lots of options for this; need more information. Are you in a free state? Do you have children in the house? What is your definition of "secure"?

I've seen some awesome furniture at gun shows that is designed to hide a long gun. Your mattress is another option. Or above your closet door on the inside. Are you looking for locks that can be opened quickly, or just quick access storage that nobody can get to except you?

Lots of options for this; need more information. Are you in a free state? Do you have children in the house? What is your definition of "secure"?

I've seen some awesome furniture at gun shows that is designed to hide a long gun. Your mattress is another option. Or above your closet door on the inside. Are you looking for locks that can be opened quickly, or just quick access storage that nobody can get to except you?

In MA w/ little ones in the house at times. "Secure" would be locked, kid proof and of course legal. So basically looking for locked storage that can be unlocked quickly.

Amsec makes a floor mounted keypad safe that runs on a 9v battery. Not cheap but it is easy to open with the lighted keypad. I do want a Fort Knox pistol box next

In MA w/ little ones in the house at times. "Secure" would be locked, kid proof and of course legal. So basically looking for locked storage that can be unlocked quickly.

Will the shotlock not satisfy your requirements? You can store it with or without a magazine, talking AR.

stolen from another thread...

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=147119

IMG_1665.jpg

So if I put a combo lock on a closet door, that constitutes safe storage?

Currently, as long as it is a closet and not a room, that does seem to comply. However, keep in mind that there are walk-in closets that some people would consider rooms. I'd try to avoid the locked closet in MA. Too many strange cases on that. If you do go that route, at least put a solid core door on the closet.

My biggest worry comes from the language in the Parzick case:

Commonwealth v. Parzick, 64 Mass.App.Ct. 846 (2005)
“We likewise conclude that > G.L. c. 140, § 131L, requires guns to be maintained in locked containers in a way that will deter all but the most persistent from gaining access.”

Sadly, the court does not define what they mean by 'persistent'.

That dropping shotgun makes me very uneasy. Better hope you have good hands and hand placement.

Last edited:
Did you know that Fort Knox makes a shotgun sized box that works the same as your pistol box? It’s pretty cool. May be exactly what you’re looking for.

Back
Top Bottom