Questions on vision correct for action shooting

I've been searching and reading on this but I can't seem to find a good solution for me. Here's my situation:

I'm predominatly FAR sighted. Although now both visions are going. I can wear contacts but they mostly correct my far vision but aren't quite strong enought to correct my near vision (contacts are +3.25 Right and +2.75 Left). I'm not 100% certain but my reading glasses are about +1.00 more on each (+4.25 R, +3.75 L).

I am LEFT eye dominant and am a right handed shooter.

Here's what I see with my regular contacts on when shooting: MY far vision seems fine and I can see up close but not well. I tried my reading glasses while looking at my front sights and it certainly was clearer... but my far vision is a bit blury beyond a few feet.

Based on what I've read it seems like if I could correct my left eye to say somewhere near +3.75 (reading glasses prescription) and kept my right eye at +3.25 (far vision ok) this might work?

Anyone else is a similar boat? It seems like I have a few things working against me compared to others.

Last edited:
I do understand. I'm far sighted in one eye. Near sighted in the other and have an astigmatism in the far sighted eye.

I'm also left handed and left eye dominant but shoot pistol right handed. Long guns are lefty.

My old optician had me try Verilux lenses. Progressive bifocals. Between trying to do a lot of close up stuff at work, Computer use, driving and shooting/hunting he thought they would be the answer. As he was a shooter and hunter I said OK.

They are not for everyone. It does take some getting used to. When I 1st tried them they made me a bit sea sick. However, I continued to wear them and I think they work very well.

He offered me a deal - well, I guess it was Veriluxs' deal - If I couldn't stand them, he's get me tri focals. No charge.

Hope that helps,

I've been searching and reading on this but I can't seem to find a good solution for me. Here's my situation:

I'm predominatly FAR sighted. Although now both visions are going. I can wear contacts but they mostly correct my far vision but aren't quite strong enought to correct my near vision (contacts are +3.25 Right and +2.75 Left). I'm not 100% certain but my reading glasses are about +1.00 more on each (+4.25 R, +3.75 L).

I am LEFT eye dominant and am a right handed shooter.

Here's what I see with my regular contacts on when shooting: MY far vision seems fine and I can see up close but not well. I tried my reading glasses while looking at my front sights and it certainly was clearer... but my far vision is a bit blury beyond a few feet.

Based on what I've read it seems like if I could correct my left eye to say somewhere near +3.75 (reading glasses prescription) and kept my right eye at +3.25 (far vision ok) this might work?

Anyone else is a similar boat? It seems like I have a few things working against me compared to others.

I have a friend who had a conglomeration of eyesight differences between the two - he had lasik and they are essentially "equal" now. Go talk to a doctor - maybe you can throw out all that eye equipment!

As for the left hand/right hand - I shoot mostly right as that hand is stronger, but am left eye dominant. I just accept it - I only focus on the front sight anyway.

I do some things left handed, some things right handed, and some things I can do with both...I have never considered it a problem.

Dave, I have a similar situation as you, although my normal prescriptions are much stonger than yours. With contacts I can see distance very well, but the front sight is not quite as sharp, especially when the lighting isn't good. My optometrist worked with me for about 1 minute; I held something up at front sight distance while he placed various lenses in front of my eye until I picked my favorite. He gave me an extra prescription marked "sports" that is .75 power less than my normal prescription. It barely affects my two-eye distance vision, but it makes shooting iron sights much more fun. And 6 of these contacts costs about 20 bucks.

Dave, I have a similar situation as you, although my normal prescriptions are much stonger than yours. With contacts I can see distance very well, but the front sight is not quite as sharp, especially when the lighting isn't good. My optometrist worked with me for about 1 minute; I held something up at front sight distance while he placed various lenses in front of my eye until I picked my favorite. He gave me an extra prescription marked "sports" that is .75 power less than my normal prescription. It barely affects my two-eye distance vision, but it makes shooting iron sights much more fun. And 6 of these contacts costs about 20 bucks.

Yeah- I was thinking that would be something that could work out as I think I just need a little more than my regular distance prescription contacts and not quite as much as my reading glasses. My sight picture isn't that bad with my regular (distance) contacts but exactly like you said- when light isn't good it's a PITA. I find at the indoor range at the end of a night's practice I have a tough time seeing the headstamps of my brass!!

FYI I use daily wear contacts- throw aways. They are about $100/ for 90 pairs.

Thanks for everyone's input.

me too

Hi - I'm right handed but left eye dominant. The thing is I'm not strongly left dominant - so I decided to start shooting with my right eye. Does it work - I don't know - I'm still a D shooter!!!!!! But I can do it. My problem is the over 40 eye syndrome. (Don't ask me how much over 40!!!!!) I use over the counter reading glasses. My distance vision is great. But the reading glasses are too strong for distance - everything is REALLY blurry. So at my last eye exam, my doctor gave me a prescription for 'shooting glasses' where my right eye gets just enough magnification (something like .5) to make the sights clear and my left eye is plain glass. It's a little weird at first but after a few minutes of wearing the glasses, your eyes adjust to the difference and you barely notice it. They call it mono vision.

Donna

If you're located towards the north, contact my optometrist (and fellow Westford Sportsmen's Club board member) Bruce Bunker, formerly of Lahey Clinic, now at
Nashua Eye Associates
30 Lowell Road,
Hudson, NH 03051,
Phone (603) 598-6400

Hi - I'm right handed but left eye dominant. The thing is I'm not strongly left dominant - so I decided to start shooting with my right eye. Does it work - I don't know - I'm still a D shooter!!!!!! But I can do it. My problem is the over 40 eye syndrome. (Don't ask me how much over 40!!!!!) I use over the counter reading glasses. My distance vision is great. But the reading glasses are too strong for distance - everything is REALLY blurry. So at my last eye exam, my doctor gave me a prescription for 'shooting glasses' where my right eye gets just enough magnification (something like .5) to make the sights clear and my left eye is plain glass. It's a little weird at first but after a few minutes of wearing the glasses, your eyes adjust to the difference and you barely notice it. They call it mono vision.

Donna

Yes- I've been reading about this monovision thing. Question is- why didn't they correct your dominant eye for the clear sights?

I'm making myself shoot with my right eye so that's the eye I need the correction for. I think I can switch shooting eyes because I'm not 'strongly' left eye dominant. At one point my eye dr. tried me with one contact lens at reading strength (about +2 magnification) but I could never adjust to it - felt way off balance and dizzy. However, the correction I need to see the front sight is mild enough that I can wear the glasses with the one eye corrected and the other eye plain, and not have any problems. Of course, like I said - I'm still a D shooter!

What you're suggesting - correcting your shooting eye for your front sights and leaving the other eye good for distance might work. Talk to your eye doc about it.

Donna

Never would have guessed you over 35 [wink] I started 5 years ago with a 1.5 in my right lens and clear in the left. I change glasses when not shooting. The prescription glasses work but I also found narrow fiber optic front sight and wide cut rear sights from Dawson allow me to use plain lens in both.

For my revolver, the 6" barrel made all the difference for me allowing me to see front sight when I choose to use it [smile]

Hope to see Las tres Amigas soon

I can give you a much better prescription Dan! Want me to bring a very special pair of glasses for you to the first match of the season?
[devil] [pot] [devil]

Last edited:
I have 20/20 vision but thought of having glasses made that would "enhance" my vision. I met with an eye doctor who knew a lot about shooting in relationship to vision. He set up a prescription that would give me better near sighting to pick up the sights better but would have a bit of a blur on long range objects. I've only used the glasses a few times and they def. help when shooting iron sights. However, they take getting use to and put a bit of a strain on my eyes. I also am focusing on shooting open so seeing a crystal clear front sight isn't important as I'm only looking at the dot. That being said I'm currently just using regular shooting glasses.

Pete

I have 20/20 vision but thought of having glasses made that would "enhance" my vision. I met with an eye doctor who knew a lot about shooting in relationship to vision. He set up a prescription that would give me better near sighting to pick up the sights better but would have a bit of a blur on long range objects. I've only used the glasses a few times and they def. help when shooting iron sights. However, they take getting use to and put a bit of a strain on my eyes. I also am focusing on shooting open so seeing a crystal clear front sight isn't important as I'm only looking at the dot. That being said I'm currently just using regular shooting glasses.

Pete

Pete,
Try a piece of tape over your dominant eye![devil]
And use the "force"

just kidding[rofl2]

Pete,
Try a piece of tape over your dominant eye![devil]
And use the "force"

just kidding[rofl2]

There is actually a new technique out there in which you close both eyes just before pulling the trigger. I heard it works great for D's and M's....

Pretty much!!!! HAHA We like to yell things like "you're shoes are untied" as soon as the buzzer goes off... That typically helps a lot with focus.

LOL! One of the guys I shoot with always tries to get into my head... when he shoots after me I usually tell him: "Now remember take your time a go REAL slow... no rushing... no need to make any big mistakes!"

[wink]

Or you can say "boy is that a tough shot. I don't think you should take that from here as there is way too much risk." Things like that are always good for your self image.

Actually though, we typically try to help each other out believe it or not. the better our competition is the better we are.

The standard " you're shooting awesome, you're gonna win the match" is a sure way to ruin that shooters next stage.

Hearing people laughing while you are shooting is confidence inspiring also.

The standard " you're shooting awesome, you're gonna win the match" is a sure way to ruin that shooters next stage.

Hey I heard that at the first AFS match before bombing my last stage. HAHA Since then I've learned to not worry about that as it's all about being consistent.

With Winning in Mind... The Mental Management System... I encourage you to read it... to help block out ribbing from your friends. [wink]

With Winning in Mind... The Mental Management System... I encourage you to read it... to help block out ribbing from your friends. [wink]

There is another book that I read by Saul Kirsh that is related to the same subject. Winning doesn't scare me and it was only a coincidence that I messed up that last stage.

Pete

You guys will do anything to win huh? [smile]

Pretty much.

At some point, the mental aspect of the game becomes important.
We like to help the up & comers develop their mental toughness![thinking]

It is really a compliment when people start f#%ing with your head (or at least try to)[slap]

[flame]

Pretty much.

At some point, the mental aspect of the game becomes important.
We like to help the up & comers develop their mental toughness![thinking]

It is really a compliment when people start f#%ing with your head (or at least try to)[slap]

[flame]

LOL- funny how we are huh? What normal people would think that when someone was f$%*ing with you that they were complimenting you??? It's a big part of what makes it fun!!!

There are actually contact lenses developed by Nike called MaxSight that people were looking into over on Brianenos.com to see if they were applicable to shooting sports.

Pete, letting you know you were winning messed you up? Jeez, never would have thought... sorry about that. I'll tell you what, to make it up to you I'll load all your mags for you at the next match, that way you can concentrate on your shooting and just relax between stages.

Pete, letting you know you were winning messed you up? Jeez, never would have thought... sorry about that. I'll tell you what, to make it up to you I'll load all your mags for you at the next match, that way you can concentrate on your shooting and just relax between stages.

No, I was just using it as an excuse to why I bombed my next stage. It truly had nothing to do with anything like that. But if you want to load my mags that would be great so long as I can load yours. HAHA

Back
Top Bottom