Questions on building the Ultimate in Home Pump Shotgun

if mossberg could have shortened the tube on the 590M then it wouldnt have looked so dumb

the beauty of a pump gun is being able to single load via ejection port. if one practices enough theyll get really good w it. the magazine is just stupid.
You can also replenish through the bottom loading port while waiting for the next target.

Here is one with a 20-round mag inserted. (5, 10 rounders on the table)
I call it the "Leg-humper"

Mossberg-590M-Heat-Shield-Mag-Fed-Magazine-Fed-Pump-Action-Combat-Tactical-Shotgun_SHOT-Show-2018_David-Crane_DefenseReview.com-DR_8.jpg

On the good side, it can be used as "cover" against pistols...
How much does THAT weigh!??!

How much does THAT weigh!??!

3 pounds empty...

You can't see it in the photo, but Mossberg had to put out a couple of boxes of Kleenex
at the Shot Show because of all the "laughed-so-hard-I-cried" folks.

bold-faced lie ^

OK, so the mag tube does not hold shells and is non-functional for feeding.
The 590M magazines only hold 2-inch shells. Not 2 3/4-inch. So that means finding ammo a little trickier... and I think more expensive because of lack of demand.

Here is a pretty good write-up describing function and opinions: Guns & Ammo Mossberg 590M

I guess I don't know why somebody just doesn't go down to the nearest pawn shop and buy the cheapest used mossberg 500 or remington 870. Saw off the barrel to 18" or add an extended mag tube if you want.
Heat shield? Vertical firegrip? People need to stop using movies and video games as tutorials.

So an FFL would sell me something knowing I cannot legally own it in MA? Even though the FFL is in MA? I see in your earlier response you highlighted what is considered a "large capacity feeding device".. what you didn't include is the legislature stating a LTC-A holder may not possess it. Please elaborate on the part stating I cannot posses?

PreBanHunter, You can get 5-round magazines for it, but why would you want less than a tube-fed and a third leg?

Last edited:
That is absolutely incorrect the mag is stamped for 2 3/4" shells

Maybe they updated it after the Guns & Ammo article came out, but the author states 2" shells...

"Loading the magazines is not an arduous task. I found that only the last two to three rounds needed a little extra effort when nearing full capacity. As you might imagine, a magazine with 10 to 20 rounds of 2-inch buckshot can get fairly substantial, so Mossberg engineers designed a very robust yet clever magazine locking system."

reduced-shotgun-shell-1.jpg

2", 2 3/4", 3", 3.5" shotshells for comparison.

At the bottom of the write up it states the correct information. Chambered for 12ga. 2 3/4" could be a typo.

Im also still waiting on any and all legislature regarding the magazine limit.

Yeah most likely a typo. 2" shotshells are unicorns. I should have known better...
Regards,
~Matt

You know, 2" buckshot or slug could make an excellent HD round anyway.
Might be able to get 2 or 3 extra shells in a full-length tube-fed,
and the slightly under-powered round would be good for shorter distances w/ less over-penetration...

Last edited:
Im also still waiting on any and all legislature regarding the magazine limit.

I'm a bit of a scofflaw, and if I wanted this shotty, I would buy a couple of 5-rounders and a whole bunch or 10 or 15 rounders (no 20's for me, waaaay too long/heavy)
and be careful where/when I used them. I would take them to the range to verify operation, load them and put the big ones in my sock-drawer...

I can agree and respect that. Thats a way to get a tube up to 10+1 for sure.

Also want to point out the FFL I purchased the 590M from wouldn't sell me an assembled Gen3 Glock.

Yeah, I can never guess what will fly and what won't with ANY FFL in Mass. It's literally a crap shoot.(pun intended)
When you find one that takes good care of you, don't forget him at Christmas... [smile]

Nobody close enough to worry about. I have two magazines with Speer gold dot 223 in the night stand. But main investigative tool would be the G17 with tlr on it. If it’s a really loud bump, the AR goes around the neck too.

What’s with the cat question?

When you open fire the cat gets it on the bed in the guest bedroom.

When you open fire the cat gets it on the bed in the guest bedroom.
That would be a bonus in my book, however, the cat usually sleeps at the foot of my sons bed, much to the shagrin of my daughter. The ‘guest room’ is also known as the kids toy room.

Per General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 121 (emphasis mine)
''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term ''large capacity feeding device'' shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

They said return it because there are reports of the 590M being unreliable.

That you have a LTC does not change the fact that a shotgun mag greater than 5 rounds is a felony in MA if it was made after 1994. The risks you take are your own, but it's critically important that others reading this thread in the future understand what the law says.

You know, 2" buckshot or slug could make an excellent HD round anyway.
Might be able to get 2 or 3 extra shells in a full-length tube-fed,
and the slightly under-powered round would be good for shorter distances w/ less over-penetration...

OK, so are the tubes considered magazines? If so, can't they hold more than 5 rounds of the new "mini-shell" shotgun ammo? Then how do they fall within the law? I doubt they have an exemption for those mini-shells yet.

OK, so are the tubes considered magazines? If so, can't they hold more than 5 rounds of the new "mini-shell" shotgun ammo? Then how do they fall within the law? I doubt they have an exemption for those mini-shells yet.
Excellent question that no one knows the answer to! More evidence of Mass laws making no sense.

I have an Ithaca 37 featherweight pump, 1970's manufacture with slam fire, buffer stock and 00 buck. simple and effective.
This dude frucks. Ithaca 37 riot with slamfire is all you need for home defense. The load is your choice, but 00 buck with a beanbag in the chamber is a good idea.

Personally, I like a good Benelli SuperNova. No slamfire, but the sights are awesome.

I have a LTC-A so large capacity is not an issue, and if the FFL will sell it to me then it "must" be compliant. No sense loosing a license over this. I can get why you wold say return it (uneven weight/impracticality), but it would be difficult to get a 9 shot pump in this short of a package(30.5"). With an 18.5" barrel I see it being difficult to have more then 7 in the tube before it extends past barrel. This is 10+1 and can probably switch mags faster than some can load in a few extra shells by hand. Houses have tight spaces where size matters so I wanted to build as short a legally possible. In MA if you shoot someone from 10yds or more you're probably going to jail if Johnny Cochran isn't your lawyer, so a pattern the width of a hallway doesn't deter me much.

Doesn't matter who sold it to you. You can't have a 10 shot, detachable, shotgun, magazine in Ma.

Yes you can if it's a pump. That applies to semiautomatics.

Please attach legal evidence to back that up or take it elsewhere please.
I recommend you thoroughly read the law I posted again.

Magazines are different than firearms. An LTC-holder may possess firearms capable of accepting large capacity magazines.

They may NOT possess post-ban magazines. This includes fixed or detachable. This includes pump or semi. That's what it means to have a magazine ban. The only exception is a .22 tube.

And no, nobody knows what that means when you have a 3" chamber and can get more than 5 shells of a smaller dimension in the mag.

Again, take whatever risks you like but do not misinform people.

Back
Top Bottom