Questions on building the Ultimate in Home Pump Shotgun

I have just purchased a Mossberg 590M, which is the magazine fed pump. Comes with a 5rd mag. The barrel is already a short as possible at 18.5", I want to replace the forend with a M-LOK. I would also like to use a foregrip but am unsure of the legality. If anyone can chime in on my limitations for mods it would be appreciated. I have read the state and local laws but cant get anything concrete.

Last edited:
I would also rather have a tube fed for home defense, but that may just be my age and experience with tubes. To me, the weakest link in that chain will be the mag. (They almost always are)
But you bought it, you own it. Now find the best patterning buckshot and tightest grouping slugs for it, then practice until you wear out one of the mags. Then replace it with a new mag or 4...

Also consider a laser/lamp combo for your "Middle of the night" buddy...

Last edited:
I have just purchased a Mossberg 590M, which is the magazine fed pump. Comes with a 10rd mag and an extra if you bought one before April 2019, 20rds on tap is pretty hard to beat. The barrel is already a short as possible at 18.5", I want to replace the forend with a M-LOK. I would also like to use a foregrip but am unsure of the legality. If anyone can chime in on my limitations for mods it would be appreciated. I have read the state and local laws but cant get anything concrete.

I’m all about tube fed for home defense. That said, the positive side of the mag fed is you can SBS that thing down to the 10.5 inch sweet spot. That would be a lightening quick home defense shotty and a decent flame thrower for night ops.

I have just purchased a Mossberg 590M, which is the magazine fed pump. Comes with a 10rd mag and an extra if you bought one before April 2019, 20rds on tap is pretty hard to beat. The barrel is already a short as possible at 18.5", I want to replace the forend with a M-LOK. I would also like to use a foregrip but am unsure of the legality. If anyone can chime in on my limitations for mods it would be appreciated. I have read the state and local laws but cant get anything concrete.
What state? In Massachusetts, the magazines alone are already illegal. Foregrip is a no-no Federally on handguns (makes them an AOW), not on shotguns.

What state? In Massachusetts, the magazines alone are already illegal. Foregrip is a no-no Federally on handguns (makes them an AOW), not on shotguns.

10 round mags are illegal? I don’t know shit about Massachusetts but I’m pretty sure 10 round mags are good. You can always add an angled fore grip to a pistol. Most of the time they look better anyway.

Yep. with a 4-foot pattern at 10 yards... [rofl2]

In the unlikely event you should miss, the perp sees the 4 foot hole in the wall, they shit themselves and run out in embarrassment. Easier to clean shit and patch plaster than dispose of a body and clean blood.

Last edited:
10 round mags are illegal? I don’t know shit about Massachusetts but I’m pretty sure 10 round mags are good. You can always add an angled fore grip to a pistol. Most of the time they look better anyway.

Per General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 121 (emphasis mine)
''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term ''large capacity feeding device'' shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term ''large capacity feeding device'' shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

That just means you need an LTC, correct?

I have a LTC-A so large capacity is not an issue, and if the FFL will sell it to me then it "must" be compliant. No sense loosing a license over this. I can get why you wold say return it (uneven weight/impracticality), but it would be difficult to get a 9 shot pump in this short of a package(30.5"). With an 18.5" barrel I see it being difficult to have more then 7 in the tube before it extends past barrel. This is 10+1 and can probably switch mags faster than some can load in a few extra shells by hand. Houses have tight spaces where size matters so I wanted to build as short a legally possible. In MA if you shoot someone from 10yds or more you're probably going to jail if Johnny Cochran isn't your lawyer, so a pattern the width of a hallway doesn't deter me much.

They said return it because there are reports of the 590M being unreliable.

That you have a LTC does not change the fact that a shotgun mag greater than 5 rounds is a felony in MA if it was made after 1994. The risks you take are your own, but it's critically important that others reading this thread in the future understand what the law says.

If you’re worried about outrunning the 5-6 shot tube capacity of a home defense shotty, you’ve chosen the wrong tool for the job.

It’s tough to beat an AR for home defense, especially an M4 style carbine or AR pistol. If you dump a whole 30 rnd mag in a home defense situation, you needed backup from the get go.

"Old School" Rules!

30mblfq.jpg

If you’re worried about outrunning the 5-6 shot tube capacity of a home defense shotty, you’ve chosen the wrong tool for the job.

It’s tough to beat an AR for home defense, especially an M4 style carbine or AR pistol. If you dump a whole 30 rnd mag in a home defense situation, you needed backup from the get go.

If you don’t have any neighbors or a cat I suppose an AR is perfect.

Just for a visual reference...

The Mossberg model 590M:
590M_lead.jpg

The monstrosity below the ejection port on the receiver is the magazine...not a drywall-screw gun battery...
Why would anyone want this for HD?

If you don’t have any neighbors or a cat I suppose an AR is perfect.
Nobody close enough to worry about. I have two magazines with Speer gold dot 223 in the night stand. But main investigative tool would be the G17 with tlr on it. If it’s a really loud bump, the AR goes around the neck too.

What’s with the cat question?

if mossberg could have shortened the tube on the 590M then it wouldnt have looked so dumb

the beauty of a pump gun is being able to single load via ejection port. if one practices enough theyll get really good w it. the magazine is just stupid.

Here is one with a 20-round mag inserted. (5, 15 rounders on the table)
I call it the "Leg-humper"

Mossberg-590M-Heat-Shield-Mag-Fed-Magazine-Fed-Pump-Action-Combat-Tactical-Shotgun_SHOT-Show-2018_David-Crane_DefenseReview.com-DR_8.jpg

On the good side, it can be used as "cover" against pistols...

Last edited:
They said return it because there are reports of the 590M being unreliable.

That you have a LTC does not change the fact that a shotgun mag greater than 5 rounds is a felony in MA if it was made after 1994. The risks you take are your own, but it's critically important that others reading this thread in the future understand what the law says.

thats for autoloading shotgun, not manual like a pump. u can have a 100 rd tube on a pump if you like.

Back
Top Bottom