• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question...

Lynne said:
I'm still having that problem where when I click on the "newest post" arrow, it goes to the first post and I have to wade my way through all the posts/pages. <sniff> Is it me??

What newest post arrow are you talking about?

derek said:
Lynne said:
I'm still having that problem where when I click on the "newest post" arrow, it goes to the first post and I have to wade my way through all the posts/pages. <sniff> Is it me??

What newest post arrow are you talking about?

The one that shows underneath the topic, not the topic line itself. I'm in SubSilver btw. It worked okay in the VC mode, but it doesn't always in this one. Some do, some don't.

Lynne said:
The one that shows underneath the topic, not the topic line itself. I'm in SubSilver btw. It worked okay in the VC mode, but it doesn't always in this one. Some do, some don't.

I got ya. I don't have an solution for you yet.

derek said:
Lynne said:

I got ya. I don't have an solution for you yet.

No rush - just wondering if it's me.

TonyD said:
I'm in subsilver now and it is working. Lynne, you are talking about on the far right and clicking on the 'paper' icon, correct?

Correct - I just noticed it's next to the topic line.... [shock]

Lynne said:
TonyD said:
I'm in subsilver now and it is working. Lynne, you are talking about on the far right and clicking on the 'paper' icon, correct?

Lynne,

Go to the top menu on your browser and click on help, then click on about and give me the version number of your browser along with the name of your browser.

derek said:
Lynne said:
TonyD said:

Lynne,

Go to the top menu on your browser and click on help, then click on about and give me the version number of your browser along with the name of your browser.

It's Microsoft Internet Explorer Ver. 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-159
:D

Nickle said:
Derek and Tony, she's referring to when she's viewing Search Results, I think, I just noticied it myself.

Now I'm confused...I wasn't using search...or do you mean when I click on the menu from the Index? :?

Over the past week or so, my firewall has been popping up telling me that a "Helkern" attack had been tried on my computer. Is anyone else getting hit by this damn thing? Or am I the only one who's being targeted 4 and 5 times a day? (and yes, I know what Helkern is - just wondering if any one else is being tapped)

derek said:
Lynne,

Do you run a hardware firewall/router on top of the software firewall?

Derek luv, if I do I don't know about it, but since my buddy rebuilt it, if he had put one in, I think he would have told me, so the answer is probably no. I run Defender Pro Firewall as well as the FW that's part of my Windows XP - it's Defender that gives me the pop up window telling me that there was an attempt made.

Lynne,

You should have the NAT FW turned on in the router. Linksys comes with this capability and I'll assume others do too.

Also it pays to keep the Firmware (another FW) up to date as they patch for security holes in their router.

This is in addition to any software FW that you have.

I use a Linksys Router with NAT turned on and ZoneAlarm for the software FW.

I'm on DSL guys, like Len said. I'm signed up for T1 service, but I'm getting 500K to 700K at best. [roll] At least it's faster than the old modem, but know that I know how to check the speed of the connection I keep checking and I'm going to call and bitch about it.

Okay - Len whatever you told me to turn on, I haven't a clue what you just said or how to do it. I update my anti-viral software daily, which I'm assuming also includes any firewall update (it's all the same vendor - Defender Pro) and it does it automatically every day, unless I tell it to do it before it's scheduled.

Sorry Lynne, what you are doing is Good!

Router Firmware is dependent on the mfr of the router connected to your DSL line (assuming there is one). To get updates, you need to go to mfr's website and DL/install whatever updates may occasionally (I"d check this maybe monthly) for your router firmware. You MUST follow their directions to the letter in order to do the firmware upgrade for the firewall that may be built into your router.

Hope this helps some.

BTW, Comcast just kicked up their speed to 6Mb/s . . . they are really kicking DSL's ass for speed and reliability. Yup, we pay more but it works and it is ~10x faster (I've measured it) than what you are reporting.

LenS said:
Sorry Lynne, what you are doing is Good!

Router Firmware is dependent on the mfr of the router connected to your DSL line (assuming there is one). To get updates, you need to go to mfr's website and DL/install whatever updates may occasionally (I"d check this maybe monthly) for your router firmware. You MUST follow their directions to the letter in order to do the firmware upgrade for the firewall that may be built into your router.

Hope this helps some.

I have a Westell modem from Verizon - is that the router? Or is that something inside my 'puter? (remember I'm techno challenged [lol] )

Lynne, I'm not familiar with the brand, but . . .

- Routers are "external" devices.
- Don't know if they currently make combo Modem/Router.
- If not, you are wide open to the world, which would allow anyone to perhaps take over control of your computer, remove/add files, steal passwords, SSN, personal data, use your machine as a "Mule" to send spam/spread viruses to others, etc.

Personally, I would never trust any firewall software to provide the "only protection" from hijacking/theft/etc. A router typically fits between a computer and the DSL/Cable Modem. They have a NAT firewall capability so that running that and the software firewall provides reasonable protection.

Here's an example of the Linksys Router (wired):
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...832017&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

Lynne said:
I have a Westell modem from Verizon - is that the router? Or is that something inside my 'puter? (remember I'm techno challenged [lol] )

Lynne, that is what I have - that's your router.

Ross

+1 on the linksys. I have the wireless one. They are made by Cisco so they are good pieces, and they are needed to have a secure network. If you just have the DSL or Cable going right in to your PC, you are asking for trouble.

And when you decide to buy a hardware firewall, make sure you change the default password on it as well.

derek said:
+1 on the linksys. I have the wireless one. They are made by Cisco so they are good pieces, and they are needed to have a secure network. If you just have the DSL or Cable going right in to your PC, you are asking for trouble.

I was told by someone else (not on the forum) that I would be more apt to get hacked being on the cable, rather than the DSL. I don't know - I'm just repeating what I was told. Anywho - I can't afford to spend any more money on the computer right now... I have both the MS firewal as well as the Defender firewall running and I update daily.

Another bud (the one who rebuilt my computer and is the techno genius) told me that someone who I've email has my address on fin their address book has the Helkern virus and probably doesn't know it, which is why I keep getting the warning that it tried to attack me. I scan my computer every other day as well, and I've never found anything that shouldn't be there. These attacks just started about a week ago, so if what my bud said is true, then someone I know just got it or was attacke themselves.

Lynne,

Is it the Westell 2200?

Check here for the manual, you should be able to find the NAT setup in that.

http://www.westell.com/pages/model2200/userguide/userguide.jsp

Cable or DSL . . . if you have a fixed IP address (which means everyone except those on dial-up), you are a potential target. It matters not whether you use Cable or DSL. Early on the cable companies were setting people's machines up without setting privacy features, so they were on a big local area network and subject to hacking by their neighbors. I think that they got a little smarter than that since the early days and I doubt that this is as big a problem anymore.

You're welcome, any time!

It sounds like it is a combo with router included. In that case, you just need to set up the userID/pwd (leaving it set at the default allows anyone to hack in very easily) and NAT settings so that you are properly protected. It will cost you only some time, no $.

Back
Top Bottom